6 7 8 9 10
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/4/21 6:31 p.m.

Fantastic! This and the Ferrari in one day!

TimM
TimM Reader
12/6/21 4:07 p.m.

Thanks fellas...these forums are a gold mine of not only information, but friendly support and we appreciate that!

Tonight was first time on the ground and the maiden voyage (roads are clean...)!

What a treat to throttle the project finally.  Taut, quick steering, low exhaust note, blowoff noises, great time for a 5 km exploratory run.  Love the right hand drive...so does my assistance (in left seat giggling all the way!)

No dash lights which was quite a relief.  Backup lights are inop was the only discrepancy.  Even the electric cooling fan popped on at the end.  

Now the fun part of figuring out how to tune it once we get it inspected...when the roads are clear...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/6/21 6:02 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

Major congrats to you both!

What engine management is it using?

TimM
TimM Reader
12/7/21 3:08 p.m.

Pete - Thanks!  The car is an unknown quantity so very glad to see so few issues (other than what we caused!)  

It is currently running and we hope to maintain the OEM ECU.  Supposedly there is acceptable software to adjust.  We will hire a professional to do the tuning...

Great feeling and recall why I like these small turbo sedans.

12/7/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

That's intriguing, I didn't realize the EVO ECM was programmable, but that makes things much easier than having to go with something like ECMLink. 

TimM
TimM Reader
12/8/21 4:10 p.m.

I'd actually be willing to go with an aftermarket if it did the fueling part such as a Holley HP, etc.  But bit exhausted on the funds expenditure so will delay and give the OEM a try.  It has an unknown tune it or so led to believe, but we have changed quite a few items - will get it dialed in prior to any WOT.  Fun!

12/8/21 4:46 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

Does it have a wide-band & display? If so, I'd say start driving it, carefully tipping into the throttle occasionally while watching the gauge. You'll at least know if it's getting enough fuel to be safe. 

TimM
TimM Reader
12/11/21 5:51 p.m.

Pete:  we do have a wideband and indicator - good plan for at least the ferrying of the car to the inspector station...thanks!

Pulled it out in the daylight after 13 months...fun car with all the eye catching elements:

Nearly complete engine bay - the breather will eventually disappear:

The refreshed calipers look nice behind the bronze wheels:

and short video:

And the novelty of the first drive wore off.  Looks like we have transfer case leak (axle seal), coolant leak (thermostat?), brake master cylinder damp along with the reverse lights.  We did note that the boost gauge was dead because we didn't hook it up with the associated large vacuum leak.  The AFR is closer to lambda now at idle...funny how that works.  We did ship off an oil pan for the road race treatment in New Zealand - yes half way around the world...see how long that takes.

12/11/21 6:10 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

That's really not too bad of a list!

TimM
TimM Reader
12/24/21 1:28 p.m.

We did another full brake bleed - concern over a squishy pedal on the first push.  Hopefully not a master cylinder - significant cost for OEM!  Need to put a few miles on it to confirm.  No bubbles came out...but then again, I've had an air bubble in the master get stuck - sat empty for nearly a year...  We also tidied up wiring, hose routing, and some polish to the front strut bar as well as the hood 'rain deflector.'

Love it when a car comes with holes in its hood from the factory:

Big job today ... minor polish:

This also came in the mail...not sure if we are game after reading a tuning guide for dummies - with ROMs and other acronyms-making my head hurt!:

Merry Christmas!

TimM
TimM Reader
1/5/22 3:15 p.m.

Simple project - adding a cam sensor heat shield.  Wasn't made for SAS piping (non-US versions) so a bit of trimming was required:

And installed:

Also decided to try a compression test.  Admittedly, the engine is fresh and it was 50 degrees, but it is data.  Blocked the throttle open, unplugged the injectors and gave it a whirl.

#1...190 psi
#2...192
#3...195
#4...188

The battery may have been slowing a bit on #4, but happy to see fairly consistent and some reasonably decent numbers!

TimM
TimM Reader
1/15/22 12:07 p.m.

Running out of projects for this car currently...installed the new reverse light switch (5 weeks ship!):

Old:

Complete and now we have reverse lights!:

Next...cowl looks to have some debris under it...thanks to sitting for 5 years outside under a tree:

Yup:

All clean now and thankfully no surprises!

1/15/22 7:48 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

I'm really looking forward to you putting some miles on it & hearing your feedback. 

TimM
TimM Reader
1/29/22 1:56 p.m.

Nearly the end of January...so one more month of hibernation before we get some return on the investment...

Did receive the last batch of new parts from Japan...love the way the package items...custom made box that look perfect and use cool rip-stop tape.  Hate to even cut it open.

New rearview mirror because the original is delaminating:

And new ashtrays...because Japanese like to smoke:

And installed...ridding the interior of any remnants:

Also got confirmation that the New Zealand modified oil pan...will be on its way back next week!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/15/22 3:53 p.m.

Center stack complete with the dash filler - plain, but I like it:

Twice around the world finally came the road race oil pan from New Zealand:

Innards are filled with goodness (4 trap doors):

Oops...worldwide travel resulted in some damage...hmmm.  This will result in a minor oil leak...: (Posted incorrect image...now updated below)

Hopefully we can just straighten out the tweak...

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/15/22 6:20 p.m.

Hey, my people. Great work on this car, just went through the whole thread. I recently also resurrected a white evo 5 that had been sitting with no engine very similar to how you are doing, but I would say your affinity to new OEM parts might even go beyond my own. I feel spoiled lots of the time with what parts are still available from Mitsubishi. I also currently have an evo 3, 6, and 7 and have also owned 3 5's in total. 

Great work, I noticed you asked a few questions along the way I assume you've since found answers to but I would be happy to help with any outstanding questions. Coolant leaks in that area can be the thermostat housing to the block, the cover that actually squeezes the thermostat with the outlet pipe on it, or the o ring on the water pipe. Diverter valve also looks correct. Next time you have the transfer case out (if you have the LSD) I would recommend looking at the fasterns internal in the case and replacing them with some 10.9 grade hardware and red locktight. If you look down the transfer case where the axle pops in and it is unobstructed, that is LSD, if it has little bars across, that is an open diff. 

LSD (unobstructed)

The culprits

Example of a transfer case that had those bolts loosen out and cause some damage

Also, if it has an open diff you may want to try and find an LSD diff, pretty big difference. Evo 4's factory LSD not as common, Evo 5's seem like 50/50, and evo 6's often have the LSD.

Oh, and the engine can come out with the trans if you are brave / dumb enough. Or drop it out the bottom and engine hoist the car up.

Oh, and you want to be sure to phase the oil pump correctly when setting the timing. Want to give it a clockwise spin, then when you are setting the timing it should "fall towards" the timing mark on the block. 

TimM
TimM Reader
2/18/22 6:18 p.m.

tperkins:  Thanks for the post and info! 

You are spot on the coolant leak...loose bolts on the thermostat.  Easy fix. 

No LSD for this 5.  Assume handling improves with less understeer with the LSD?  Is this a factory option?

Oil Pump:  Hmm.  Didn't do this intentionally.  Hopefully we are ok.  What is the impact if skipped?  We have no balance shafts so...

Would enjoy some images of your project(s). 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/18/22 6:31 p.m.

Yeah, that is right. Less understeer, although the AYC helps with or without LSD. And yeah there was a factory option for an LSD, and those are the ones that have the bolt issue. Mine are all factory LSDs, you can find the odd one for sale here and there. There are aftermarket options as well, which could be better depending on your intent. Factory LSD just lasts long, not messing around with plates, but it isn't as aggressive as something from Cusco or whoever could be. 

Sorry, you are right. This is phasing with the balance shaft, so shouldn't be an issue. UPDATE: talked to real mechanic he said "it's still a good idea to time the pump but depends how you deleted it"

My thread is here:
tperkins mitsubishi descent into madness (evo 3, 6, 7 starion and pajero)| Builds and Project Cars forum | (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

Fun question, have you driven an evo before or just liked them, found that one, and decided to resurrect? 

TimM
TimM Reader
2/19/22 3:14 p.m.

tperkins:  Never driven an Evo.  Although do own a 04 STI...similar cars it seems except the off-beat rumble.  

Project was primarily for father / daughter fun...although I likely get the better end of the deal...until she holds a license! 

Love your thread!

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/19/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

Having driven a hand full of GD STi's, you'll probably like the Evo 5. They feel a little lighter; little more nimble, steering is a little sharper. Love me a GD! 

TimM
TimM Reader
2/20/22 12:51 p.m.

I agree...I'm confident we'll love it.  The Subaru's upright position, fun turbo engine, and 4 door utility check so many boxes for us.  A firmer suspended (coil overs, this one) model will be a hoot especially on the narrower European roads.  Not too mention, assembled by a 13 year old.  :-)

TimM
TimM Reader
2/25/22 5:41 p.m.

Major progress today...weather appeared good and road clear - time to get temporary plates!

Off to registration...:

Next to go for the maiden voyage around the block and point it toward the alignment shop 40 miles away!  Less than an hour later - arrival and enjoyed each minute of the drive learning to drive right hand drive/shift on the left while watching oil pressure, coolant temps, hoping nothing falls off!

Success - other than an oil leak and a bit of surging idle (tune)...drove like I'd hoped.  Quick steer, firm suspension, lots of fun car noises (diff, exhaust, tire)!  On the rack:

Kept the alignment conservative - partly because of wide tires on front became dangerously close to the strut...-1.5 front and rear dialed in.  Always fun to visit this shop...13 GTR's on the property along with two Evo's and an assortment of BMW/Porsches awaiting attention.  Three GTR engines alone in-work:

Love the hood vents...at traffic lights, you can see the heat wafting thru - appreciate the practical elements of the car.  Unfortunately, the moisture was from the blizzard we got caught in...not enjoying the salty mixture on the road...time for a thorough underwash:

Overall no brake leaks (master must have just been faking the leak), coolant temps consistent with fan occasionally triggering, and nothing fell off!  The oil leak is the only hold back - something under the lower timing cover (on the oil pump plate).  Covered nearly 200 kms to include visiting the engine shop that patiently helped us with the bearing/crank fiasco (appeared he was very appreciative of the 'closure' of a running engine!)  Also, picked up the older assistant at school who started to see the excitement of a RHD JDM turbo sedan with a big wing and holes in the hood!

2/25/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

Awesome - congrats!!!

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
2/26/22 1:06 p.m.

Sweet stuff! Good to see it on the road. Get some in car video with turbo and blowoff noises!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/27/22 5:57 a.m.

Thanks gents!  Huge satisfaction to actually have it move you down the road - real reason I (and likely most others) love getting my hands dirty with projects.  This one especially as it is a bit more serious of the rally bred cars than I've been used to and the family involvement.

Harvey:  will do!

Attempting to locate the oil leak (rather substantial, but only while on the road)...it might be the oil pan juncture to the block.  Seems hard to believe I could have messed that up...but since we have a new oil pan to install, would eliminate that possibility.  Disassembled for cleaning - pretty impressive workmanship:

And:

We appreciate the workmanship/detail that went into the update.  Diagonal trap doors should completely eliminate any concern for our application.  Our 245 Rivals won't provide that much stick!

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pTEEeNolPmgeAziJ9bdeMPf6AgpjoRkUPfKNXtZdYwgmOzkovyTOajmJA0NnLjpP