1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/28/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

At some point, there will be hidden welds somewhere.  And while I'm calling this a "restoration"- it's not about 100% originality, but getting back a solid car that will last another couple of decades.  

I appreciate the thought of replacing the whole panel, but even if I did one large chunk of the fender, it would not be the entire part.  I do plan on finding the tiny holes where I can put some protectant back there.  And all of the structural parts will get something on the front and back before I put it back together- there is enough space for that.

And this is what I bought back in 2014- sort of (no primer on them).  https://raybuck.com/product/1999-05-mazda-miata-upper-rear-wheel-arch-driver-side/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JuXxNWP3QIVWrjACh2RAwGkEAQYASABEgIkKvD_BwE  And back then they were considerably less expensive.  Not sure why.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 2:54 p.m.

Some more work...

so I figured there were 4 patches to be made. 

The first in the wheel well. 

The second the hole in one of the pictures 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 2:57 p.m.

Both were tougher than I thought as the original metal was thinner than I thought so I fought with weld blow through. But got it done primed and painted. This area was originally just treated, I just wanted more protection. 

Still have two more patches before I move on. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 3:02 p.m.

While I was cleaning up, I took a quick look at the rest of the rear fender rust- looks like it's mostly really bad outer fender rust, so I'll have a lot of clean up, but less patching up higher, I hope.  Once I get the other two lower patches in, I'll take more fender out to see other rust.

And when I get more out, I'll be able to get to the back side of what I just finished, and put something down there to reduce the speed of new rust.  Hopefully, the time I become the dreaded PO, the car will be way older, and it will have survived 20ish more years.  Gentler years, as I hope to drive a lot less in the snow.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/9/18 3:43 p.m.

Just one part welded in. This took a long time to get fitted, but it's more structural, so getting it in cleanly was important. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/13/18 3:08 p.m.

Finished the middle section on the bottom. 

Its primed and painted for now

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/13/18 3:11 p.m.

Then cut out the next bad skin. 

I was hoping that the tabs that the body is welded to would be ok, but many just pulled out with the damaged metal. Oh well. Could be worse, and this is a lot easier to fabricate. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
DXLAeVSGBB4p86iU885lzv1kcugZ6YGPhHoz70lYJPtZKVbcGbUx9ciSUtddlw39