Professor_Brap Dork
6/11/19 3:05 p.m.

Get a airdam on it? 

wae
wae SuperDork
6/11/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Let's not get carried away.

It's on my "optional" list right now.  Once I get the brake controller and the wheel bearings on the motorhome squared away, I'll circle back to that.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/12/19 8:21 a.m.

It's not a modification to the car, but I did work out a way to ease the pain of working the clutch with my broken toe.  The plan was to throw some wood on the table saw and shave off something a few mm thick and then use the scroll saw to make it fit my shoe.  As I was setting up the saw though, I saw one of these sitting on the work table:

I had a couple of these that I got for something like $0.98 each at LowAcDepArds and the handle is pretty sturdy.  Cramming that into my shoe so that the handle is under the toe actually gives a surprising amount of support so that each shift is only mildly painful instead of excruciating.  I may add some Velcro or medical tape to keep everything where I want it, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/17/19 8:51 a.m.

Lots of good news with a little dribble of bad news from the Great Lakes National Tour event over the weekend.  As far as how the car was running on course, I could not be happier.  Power is good, boost is solid, temps stayed down (as long as I remembered to run the cooling fans...), and there were no running issues at all.  Off course is a little different.  The lack of an IAC plus a couple mm of slack in the throttle cable makes coming off idle tricky so it stalls a lot.  And after each run, my power steering fluid was boiling over and burning off on the manifold.  It was actually a little bit funny because I had about 8 people run over and helpfully tell me that my car was smoking (seeing as the smoke was significant and coming from the cowl and right into the windshield, I don't know why they thought I didn't already know that...).  Each time I just shrugged and said "yeah, she does that" and I think many were taken aback at my nonchalant attitude.  But then, I have a history with cars and fires, so...

In further good news, the car managed a 3rd place finish out of a field of 17 cars.  No idea how it would have been overall because the MF group got screwed out of our final run by lightning.  Obviously our times were way faster than everyone else since we only had 8 runs compared to 9.  If I could learn how to drive, the car could have placed second, but I was just a mess in the afternoon course for some reason.

The bad news.  First off, I really need to learn how to drive.  The car has the power and the handling to place higher and go faster.  In the right hands, I think the car had another 1-1.5 sec per run in it at least.  Second, when the motor mounts broke before, I think the threads got torn out of the block on the upper rear bolt on the passenger-side mount bracket.  The bolt threads in but won't get tight and then just works its way out in the span of a single run.  There wasn't much to do about it at the time, but I'm going to try to pull the bolt out and re-tap it at the same thread pitch.  If that doesn't work, I'll try an oversize pitch tap and bolt.  If THAT doesn't work, I'll drill it out to the next size up and tap it.

Next problem is the power steering fluid. I can solve a couple problems at once if I relocate the reservoir - the pre-heating of the fluid by the exhaust turbofold as well as the funky stretching of the hoses.  It also appears that the 2gn pump is a drop-in and is better mechanically than the 1gn one, so that's also on the table.  The Mishimoto has a loop for an ATX fluid cooler, so I could use that for the PS fluid as well.  Or I could use that for engine oil.  We shall see.

I also discovered that when I was putting in the suspension (I guess?) I managed to tear the outer boots on the axles.  I reached out to A1CVTech and they want pictures of the axles to be able to sell me some new boots.

Finally, the defroster vent really needs to be fixed.  It only blows on the passenger side which meant that during my run in the rain I was actually putting my head out the window to be able to see.  Not the best situation.

Next event is going to be July 20th and I also have to have Dark Helmet modified a bit before then to look a little more authentic, so work on the car is going to have to be kept to a bare minimum.  I will probably just put in some sort of ghetto drip tray to direct the PS fluid away from the manifold and then take care of the engine mount bolt.  I patched up the boots and it seems to be holding for now so if I can change them, great, if not I'll just have to roll with it.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/17/19 8:53 a.m.

Oh.  And my broken toe is absolutely throbbing at this point.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/17/19 9:46 a.m.

Congrats on the 3rd place finish!  

I used a piece of aluminum as a drip tray/heat shield on the PS reservoir.  Fit to the studs that hold the reservoir to the head, and a 90 degree bend.  It worked okay, but I still think the 2g pump swap (not a perfect bolt in, but close) is a better long term solution.  If you end up needing any various fluid coolers, I think there are two or three stashed in my garage taking up space.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/17/19 8:42 p.m.

Relevant to discussions in the motorhome over the weekend.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-latest-bad-obsession-motorsports-project/152772/page1/

Hyatt was intoning that your car was exhibiting signs of excessive fluid leakage after you'd come in from a run and park in grid with a plume of smoke from underhood like you were signaling the neighboring tribes, and that per safety regs it should be excluded from competition.  I, likewise, intoned that it always did that and it ain't ever caught fire yet, and anyway that wasn't my decision to make, so sitting right there in my chair was my highest priority.

Now mind you, I'm not against the idea of preventing future conflagration.  I'm all for it, to be honest.  It makes for less paperwork, and the other people in MF would be upset if they'd forgotten their bratwurts and marshmallows that day.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/17/19 9:45 p.m.
wae said:

I was supposed to take advantage of our office's "summer hours" and spend Friday working on the car, but instead I went to Dayton to drop a log on my toe and break it.  My toe, not the log.  The log was fine.

You had to come all the way up here to break your toe?  Surely you could have broken it in NKY.  Also, I want to hear more about Dark Helmet.  (ComiCon?)

wae
wae SuperDork
6/17/19 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

You just sucked one hour of my life away.  I knew there was something I needed to watch and that was it!  

If it was going to cause anyone serious heartburn, I probably could have had a tinfoil drip shield whipped up in a few minutes to direct the flow away from the manifold.  I guess I've just desensitized myself to burning things under the hood over the years but I can see how someone that's used to nicer things might get a little concerned.  It's definitely something that is going to get fixed sooner rather than later, though.  If nothing else, I'm getting a little tired of having to top off the PS fluid after every event!

wae
wae SuperDork
6/17/19 10:43 p.m.
Jerry said:
wae said:

I was supposed to take advantage of our office's "summer hours" and spend Friday working on the car, but instead I went to Dayton to drop a log on my toe and break it.  My toe, not the log.  The log was fine.

You had to come all the way up here to break your toe?  Surely you could have broken it in NKY.  Also, I want to hear more about Dark Helmet.  (ComiCon?)

Some people do medical travel, some do adventure travel, I do injury travel.  Causing nauseating pain in fun and exotic locations.  And Dayton.

The Dark Helmet update needs to be ready for GenCon in August and will then go on to DragonCon in Atlanta as well as probably make another appearance at Cindy's Comic Expo:

It turns out that we have a friend who (unbeknownst to us but knownst to him) already had a Spaceball costume.  I need to cut off the flare at the bottom and lay new glass to bring it lower and tighten up the shape.  And I'll probably re-re-do the face mask.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/9/19 8:39 a.m.

Work performed on car so far is approximately zero.  I've verified that I have the correct tap size for the motor mount bolt and also verified that with the motor mount in place on the engine, there's pretty much no way that I'm going to be able to get the tap to the threads.  The upside, however, is that if I support the engine from the bottom and then take the whole motor mount apparatus off the car, I'll have the room that I need to manipulate the tap.  And if I need to drill it out and re-tap it to a slightly larger size, I'll also have room to get a right-angle drill in there.  That means I don't need to completely separate the engine from the car and/or risk damaging the other mounts to raise and lower the engine to be able to get to the bolt hole.

What I have done with the car, however, is drive it to the office yesterday.  The cooling system worked perfectly in 90 degree rush-hour heat although I have definitely lost enough power steering fluid for it to be a bit of a problem, so I need to address that.  Also, I have a small airdam right now since the panel that I taped up to go under the intercooler and parallel to the ground lost its sticky and flopped down.  Other than that (and being hotter than hell inside - even with both windows open at 60mph, there's just no airflow!), the trip to and from the office was problem-free.

That car is a complete bastard though.  40mph, third gear, uphill, dry pavement.  Floor the throttle, boost gauge goes positive, and both front wheels break traction while your brains go into your feet.  All the while making all sorts of hissing and whistling sounds.  There's also a little spot on the throttle where it's putting in just enough fuel to not stop engine braking when you're going downhill, but it will make the exhaust crackle and pop.  I could probably tune that out, but I will never tune that out. devil

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
7/9/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I miss my turbo neons sometimes. My SOHC turbo car was almost identical in its manors. 

13 14 15
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
d5q0so8lgnWeW8q96ertYiUDxG4bbGM58DmLs5vyFzk03FCmd9AznsYYGN7Bd2lE