Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/14/21 12:38 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Just remember the three magic words: "We have cars to run!"

wae
wae UberDork
10/14/21 2:06 p.m.

Found a used tire shop in Covington, Kentucky Tire, who was able to move the Indy muds to the AR24s, mount the four Falken rally tires to the bubbles, and swap out an old cracked Potenza mud for an old not cracked Potenza mud.  He did the whole thing in about 20 minutes, if that, and only wanted to charge me $100.  I gave him a little extra for being awesome.

New alternator is in.  Also had to put a new lug on the positive cable for it.

As I was getting the power steering reservoir reinstalled I said to myself, "Self, be careful you don't break the fuel line"!

So I ran out to Bessler's to get one that I think will work.  I also got a new coach battery for the motorhome.

Now it's picking up kids from school and going to bingo.  I'll go over to the shop after bingo's over and get the fuel line installed and make sure things are goodish.

Remaining items are the air filter, making number vinyl, gassing up the car, packing, grocery shopping, and I can hear the I cracked Potenza mud leaking air back there, so I need to find my bead sealant or something.

wae
wae UberDork
10/15/21 5:51 a.m.

So it's going to be one of THOSE....  Every time I cross something off the list, I have to add a couple more things apparently.

In the process of replacing the alternator, the battery terminal just came apart in my hand at 2300 last night.  The only place open at that point was Meijer so I ran out there to get terminals.  I recall that this happened to me once before - almost ready to go, late at night, and the battery terminal comes apart - and in order to hedge against that in the future, I bought two sets of terminals.  Thus guaranteeing that the terminal will never again break at the shop.

Also while putting things back together, I discovered that the spring and adjuster screw for the boost controller are both missing.  I think that means that the boost gets limited to 4psi, and that's no good.  So I need to run out and get a spring this morning.  I can use a regular bolt as the adjuster screw since it doesn't' have to have a fancy knob on it.

I was able to get everything else put together and I started it up.  I think the catch can was leaking for a while, because it really doesn't want to idle without cracking the throttle.  Some day I'll get an idle air controller to work on this car.  But for now, there aren't any nasty grindy noises coming from the alternator and it will go into all gears without any special effort, which is an improvement on before.  It's hard to know what the 1-2 shift will be like when it's all revved out, but I was also having a devil of a time getting it to shift into reverse and it will now do that easily every single time.

So this morning:  Cutting vinyl, hardware store for the spring, FLAPS to get some sort of air filter, looking at that mud tire, packing, loading, grocery store, and outta here.

wae
wae UberDork
10/15/21 11:30 a.m.

Sponsor decals applied!

New air filter is on and it should be sealed up better now

Boost controller is repaired and set.

Vinyl is applied.

Found another boost leak and fixed it.

Now I need a haircut, grocery store, load up, and go.

wae
wae UberDork
10/15/21 11:31 a.m.

In reply to wae :

And I just realized I dotted my "l" instead of my "i".

Derpadoo

wae
wae UberDork
10/16/21 12:11 p.m.

Meh.  My first run was okay but timing broke so I got a rerun.  On my rerun, the car cut out for some reason that I cannot find, so it was a very slow run.  My second timed run was pretty great for me, so things were looking up.  Then my third run, the valve stem and the front rim had a divorce while I was almost to the finish line, so another slow run.  Which puts me DFL.

At least we didn't die in a tornado last night, so there's that

wae
wae UberDork
10/18/21 7:45 a.m.

And I had a really nice, really long writeup here that took me about 45 minutes to write until I bumped the "back" button on my mouse and lost it all.

Nationals was amazeballs.  Despite finishing 6th, if I hadn't done stupid-stuff in rushing the car prep, there's a possibility I might have been able to trophy.  I was 9th fastest in the first course, but second fastest in both the second and third courses.

Also, I should have read the rules to know that on a debead I could have gotten a re-run which would have put me in 5th place, even with the car cutting out on my first run.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/18/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to wae :

You only get a rerun if you are stopped on course.  You finish the run = that's your time.

wae
wae UberDork
10/18/21 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah, I thought it was still that if you stopped it was a bogey time so I powered through it instead of trying to draw the red flag.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/18/21 9:08 a.m.

Glad you had fun!  I am really hoping nationals is run that close to here again after I am back in practice.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
10/18/21 9:30 a.m.

I also learned that if you have a "red flag incident" caused by a debead you get a rerun. Although you generally want to stop on course in a more controlled manner. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/18/21 8:51 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I was wondering about that.  IMO they should have nixed his run and given him a DNF, but given that his DNF caused a course adjustment large enough to get a parade lap (for some unfathomable reason: they moved two cones maybe three feet) and a rerun of the class, meaning that run officially never existed, they had no reason to not give him a rerun with the rest of the class.

I forsee a new rule getting proposed.

I did appreciate the parade lap, as I could go back and count cones in three specific locations so I could identify where I really needed to keep tight and clean

20 21 22
Our Preferred Partners
y4bYMjjf661zGB0ZudDXYrgYwaIQjKBI7nfgOehvzDqnYIZBuLtLqMp2PfkV8YNe