Daylan C SuperDork
9/20/18 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Pretty close to what my plan was. 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
9/20/18 3:15 p.m.

i had a beige 95 sl1, 5 sp

i got over 40 mpg and I got with over 100k on it for like 2 grand at the time. I put over 100k on it daily driving it. it was a great car.

Change oil and gas, some brake pads now and again. I never even changed the timing belt (i know...) but I just drove it till it started making death noises, traded it in for 500 bucks and got a new car.

I had an SL2 auto again a few years ago, 2005, was also a great car, but a bit too GMy.

enjoy the thread, keep it alive and it will treat you well!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/10/18 10:19 p.m.

I've been driving it nearly every day. Only issue is that same shifter cable bushing popped off again so I had to put it back together in a parking lot. Bought another bushing for $22 only to find out the old new one didn't break it just fell off. Some ziptie engineering might be required if this problem comes up a 3rd time. It's proven itself solid enough to get some actual maintenance done to it now. So that's on the agenda for next week.

Oh, I put a different less crappy but still pretty crappy universal shift knob on to replace the one that kept coming off in my hand. I also took the cracked hubcaps back off and put 10hp worth of stickers on the window. 

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
10/11/18 5:11 a.m.

The shifter linkage issue is pretty common on high mileage Saturns.  There are a bunch of bandaids that can be  done to fix it, but I found that drilling out the joint and putting a bolt through it worked best.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/29/18 6:20 p.m.

Fixed the headlight wiring today. Also put a new set of spark plugs and wires in. Started to reseal the valve cover but didn't get finished, I'll probably finish that after class tomorrow.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/20/18 10:01 a.m.

Finally got around to making the valve cover not leak. Looks like the last guy just smothered it in rtv, I tried the same and failed, so it has a real gasket on it now. It's back on commuter duty until I break it again.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/20/18 5:48 p.m.

The stickers i mentioned earlier.

I also got the center console back in place, arm rest is MIA, and the shifter boot was torn, but atleast I have cup holders now.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/20/18 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Get that arm rest back in there. It absolutely transforms the ergonomics. I'd easily pay 150$ for a replacement one in my daily if it were to come up missing. Its that crucial.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/21/18 6:15 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I'll keep an eye out for one. Mine was gone when I got the car. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
11/21/18 6:17 a.m.
Daylan C said:

I also got the center console back in place, arm rest is MIA, and the shifter boot was torn, but atleast I have cup holders now.

The 06+ Civic Si's have a nice leather shift boot... it's a "common" replacement upgrade for Fit's.  There ~$30 from Honda parts, which might not be right for this car... but something to keep an eye out for if you hit the J/Y?

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
11/21/18 6:22 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

Even better! Maybe give this a try?

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/21/18 6:25 a.m.

In reply to russ_mill :

Thanks for that link.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
11/21/18 8:09 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Sure! I actually think that's the one I have in my 08 civic si. Or, at least they stole the picture lol. Mine was ~$15 and it's holding up just fine.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/27/18 3:02 p.m.

We have tunes that don't involve weird screeching noises and static now.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/29/18 11:02 p.m.

Shift boot came in the mail today. Looking at it on it's own it may be too short, I'll try making it work tomorrow.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/1/18 9:06 a.m.

if I recall, it was a little short on my Fit, especially after putting on a formerly "voodoo" knob... but the top of the shaft was narrow enough that it "looked find" and "did the job"

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/19/19 9:27 p.m.

Considering selling this again. Even though it'll be a really hard sell for most people. It's served its primary purpose in my eyes and I really don't drive it that often after the initial novelty wore off.  Willing to sell really cheap or trade for parts for my other projects if anybody is interested. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/6/19 2:50 a.m.

And then the Mustang broke and I started driving this every day again. My recent job change meant a huge bump in income for me, but it came with a 43 mile each way commute. I did it for week in the Mustang until it broke then this took over. Even though I make decent money the fuel cost on this little POS are still way preferable. So congrats little car. You get to live.

Now to find that damn shift boot I bought then lost.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
2/6/19 5:00 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Just keep it topped up with oil and it'll be a good dependable little commuter.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
5WFADh5OrJFMuXVcFWMjeCiRzaUUqU3Rx9FdXGGanVVoK0iitGXyvI4KEM2RI4dt