1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/15/19 10:14 a.m.

Mine has 130,000 miles, so I have dealt with most of those.  This year I did the heater fan switch, which was completely melted, but not the cause of the problem.  The blower motor itself fried out.  Of course, I did the switch, then the resister, then the non-existent capacitor before I checked the motor.  The motor is 5 minutes to swap, worth checking first. Doh! 

My door speakers stopped working because the wires fell off.  The little blade-style connectors got loose and fell off.  Some new ones fixed them right up.  Worth a look. 

I replaced most of the rubber parts in the front suspension, still clunks under certain conditions, but tracks straight and I know its safe.  

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/15/19 12:33 p.m.

I plan on upgrading the speakers the same time I install a head unit and my amp.... which will be soon... got some extra money for Valentine’s Day... just debating on single or double din still... I have a cheap Chinese double din in my Jetta I want to swap for something without a screen as that’ll be my daughters car in a few months... also will let me hook up a rear camera and with wanting to bumper/rear mount the tire the extra visibility of the camera might be nice 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/15/19 12:50 p.m.

front end clunk - Chased this on my ZJ for a bit and finally found that the front sway bar to frame bushings were the culprit. They looked fine on the outside but once viewed from between the frame rails you could see enough give for the bar to contact the frame

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/18/19 7:41 p.m.

I picked up an adapter to bypass the heater core today... two different sized hoses... should be getting on that tomm on my day off.

I also picked up my sub, I had it in my 05 jetta and it took up almost 1/2 the trunk (2 12" subs in a massive box)... it takes up prob 75% of the jeeps trunk... I'm ordering a stereo kit with speakers, budget kit but it'll sound much better than the stock system...  I'll also be getting the valve cover gasket soon and taking care of that... felpro sounds like the hot ticket for that.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/19/19 8:37 p.m.

as I mentioned the other day... I tossed the sub into the back end... 2 12" subs... stupid big... will get better pics durring the day... I'll def be looking for some smaller options, really a single 10" would be more than enough for what I like... but the dual 12" is so fun... they are Pioneer champion pros... 2000watt max 600watt rms with an alleged 2600 watt amp... its enough to embarrass my teenaged kids (and put smiles on their face when goofing off with it)... but really it's too much... I'll install it and sell it down the road when I find something that is more fitting... 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/19/19 8:59 p.m.

I had 2 12s and about 400watts in an 82 Corolla when I was in high school. Crap speakers, crap amp, crap box. It was awesome. 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/19/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

when I had it in the jetta I had it set to just above the minimum 95% of the time... it added just enough low end for decent sound... full out was fun though... the box and speakers are pretty good and the amp puts out enough... although I'm sure it's not a true 2600 watt amp it's enough to thump hard... i'm sure it'll be enough to make coins bounce off the roof... 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/20/19 4:47 p.m.

daytime pics of the sub and trunk space... I'm very happy to have the cover... nice factory option

stupid big sub box...

front side where the speakers sit... sadly the box has the speakers angled up... while it notches nicely into the back seat for maximum loudness the speakers should be facing the back of the car... but that pushes the box further towards the back giving even less space... like I've said a few times I'll goto 1 smaller sub setup at some point... but I've got this for now lol... I think I'll be able to mount even this largish amp under the rear seat... which has a nice nook... 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/1/19 9:52 p.m.

gathering parts...

new valve cover gasket, 6.25" speakers, sub wire kit, stereo mount kit, waiting on the wire/plug kit... although I could do without it like I have in the past they are so cheap now... I'm waiting on the head unit to come in (the $10 Blaupunkt bluetooth cheapo people are talking about/getting on here)... also waiting on a the door check/stoper for the drivers door, once I get that I'll install the front speakers, I'll likely install the rear speakers and valve cover gasket on my day off next week pending decent weather (yay apartment parking lot work)

also for giggles... my 1/10 dt03 tamaya is in the background... need to install the new ESC so I can run it on 3s which I have lots of instead of the few 2s lipos that I have...

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/2/19 10:16 a.m.

Latest pics not showing up.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/2/19 1:43 p.m.
maj75 said:

that fix it?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/5/19 10:46 p.m.

got my radio installed... ended up going with a "CACA Indash Car Stereo With Bluetooth Single Din FM Radio for Universal MP5 Player USB/SD/AUX/FM Receiver Wireless Remote Control" 

yes... my head unit is made by CACA lol...

$42 with a small LCD screen (no touch screen) and includes a backup camera... I figured I'd give it a shot as I expect to eventually have a rear tire mount setup which significantly limits the rear view :(...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BLVWWG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a generic wire harness adapter... soldered all up except the ground thanks to the way Chrysler setup the ground (literally a separate clip to the rear of the radio chassis) 

all mounted up an in the bluetooth mode... sounds much better than the factory... although the controls are pretty meh...

I also installed the 6.5" rockford fosgate 3 way speakers in the rear... waiting for some time to install the sub and front speakers... 

on a side note... I noticed the front brake pads seem to be making noise... time to replace the pads... so that and the valve cover gasket will likely be the next job... with a full tuneup shortly after (the fuel mileage is looking pretty poor even by XJ standards)

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 6:04 p.m.

few days ago I noticed my brakes where making some noise... day off today so I was able to pick up some new pads, got them swapped over... was my first time with the wheels off the jeep... suspension parts look pretty solid except the frame bushings for the sway bar and drivers side swaybar link... it's also missing the drivers side bumpstop and the passenger side is pretty much dead... 

got the pads in without issue but found one of the slider boots was trashed, didn't have time to pick a new set up so I'll be back under to replace them very soon... ware is pretty even but one was cracked and one was worn past the pad and into the back plate slightly... OUCH.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 6:11 p.m.

while pulling up to the parts store to get my new brake pads I noticed some coolant out from the front fender area... after I was done with the brakes I wanted to see where the coolant leak was coming from... where it was I figured it was the lower radiator hose... after letting it run for a few I didn't see anything... so then a quick rev of the engine found this...

now to replace the cap and HOPE that it's not a blown HG... but with all the evils I hear of this engine I have my doubts... but strangely the coolant doesn't look bad... so maybe?...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/12/19 6:13 p.m.

Cap or end tank?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 6:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Cap or end tank?

end tank? I'm hopeing its just the cap... will find out tomm... 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/12/19 6:20 p.m.

Powder nutmeg makes a great stopleak.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/12/19 6:50 p.m.

Looks like the plastic elbow thingy is cracked. Worst case, IIRC I only paid like $70 for a new radiator for my XJ. I left a pair of pliars in the engine bay like an idiot and they found the fan.

How do you like your CACA? cheeky I'll be looking for a cheap headunit for my truck sometime soon and a backup camera would be really nice.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 6:53 p.m.

oh ya... I also ordered a new sub box for a single 12"... much smaller than what I have, has the right air volume... I'm still working out where I want to mount the amp... sadly what I have is too large to mount under back seat...

I plan on building this when I have a garage to work in but for now the box above should work nicely and be easier to pull out than the huge dual 12" setup that I currently have

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 7:10 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Looks like the plastic elbow thingy is cracked. Worst case, IIRC I only paid like $70 for a new radiator for my XJ. I left a pair of pliars in the engine bay like an idiot and they found the fan.

How do you like your CACA? cheeky I'll be looking for a cheap headunit for my truck sometime soon and a backup camera would be really nice.

I'll have a look at it... I'd much rather that than the headgasket/head cracked option... it looks like I can get a cheap alu radiator for not much than the price you mentioned... thankfully I have another car for a driver so waiting for parts isn't a big issue lol... 

for the CACA head unit... what I don't like about the OS based head units is they take a little while to start up when the car starts up (the double din BOSS POS that came with my jetta does the same thing)... beyond that when it starts up it has blue colored buttons and only after "booting" does it switch to the red which I have programed... I also don't like that it's not a touch screen... the buttons are non intuitive... but for the price... I just don't care... I haven't played with the camera but I think you have to hit a button to view it... which would be neat to use as a rear view mirror option but I don't think it will play music while on... I do know when I hit the settings button it shuts off all music... I also hate button type volume control... lol... but it's hard to argue for what it has at $40... really though my biggest issue is the mounting plate it uses, it has a lot of flex for the style of mount the jeep mount has... I'm also amused that it has a similar key release from the mount like older VWs have but the there are plastic tabs you have to knock out of the face plate to be able to get the key in lol... in short... on a daily driver I'd spend more... but it works and is inexpensive for the feature set

I've also got the Blaupunkt $10 head unit on it's way that the GRM guys where talking about around christmas time... I want to pull the large touch screen from the jetta before my daughter starts driving it late this summer (its way to bright at night and bothers my eyes and don't want the distraction for her)... I might swap that in... 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/12/19 8:27 p.m.

I had nothing else to do and the engine had cooled off so I visually inspected the radiator cap and area... I couldn't see any cracks but I did have a bit of grit from the stop leak I put in to reduce the heater core leak around the flat areas on on the cap gaskets... I cleaned up the areas and tossed on a new cap... tested as before and it's not speweing coolant now... I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's still an issue or not...

hatchback
hatchback New Reader
3/13/19 1:01 p.m.
donalson said:
maj75 said:

that fix it?

None of your photos are showing up for me.

DeadSkunk-Warren
DeadSkunk-Warren PowerDork
3/13/19 1:51 p.m.

No photos showing for me either.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/13/19 3:22 p.m.
DeadSkunk-Warren said:

No photos showing for me either.

they working now?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork