2 3 4 5
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
3/26/17 9:29 p.m.

I made things today.

Modified the Volvo LS engine mounts (no pics ) and made a transmission crosssmember.

The stock Getrag 221 crossmember was OOOOHHHHH so close to working. The rear bolt holes were covered up by the crossmember.

You can see the stud for the NV3500 mount centered in the hole.

More gussets coming as I ran out of materials.

Engine and transmission in their final location on appropriate mounts!!

The mounts and crossmember will be removed, gussets added, fully welded, and painted. On to figuring out the wiring, making a bracket to relocate the alternator, and fabbing the shift linkage!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/11/17 7:55 p.m.

I've been working on different shifter options after deciding NOT to move the restraint control module.

I grabbed a stock Camaro T5 shifter and modified it to remove the 17° tilt. The modified shifter is bolted to the T5 in the background. A piece of a T5 shifter is in the foreground for reference.

The plan is to build a shifter linkage similar to what was used on the Lincoln. This a BMW shifter linkage, but setup the same. .

eBay is littered with these things from BMWs and Mustangs, so I should be able to source some parts to start building it.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
4/11/17 8:35 p.m.

this is my homemade alternator bracket with truck accessories to clear the hood in the datsun. pretty much i cut a steel tube spacer to bolt the lower alternator hole to the head in the correct fore-aft position for belt alignment purposes. then i made a couple spacers that were 1/8" shy of that depth and the top bracket i made out of 1/8" stock to take the rest up. bolted those bits to the head and top alternator mount hole, then i started bridging gaps with scraps until i had a sturdy bracket.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/11/17 9:15 p.m.

That's awesome! It looks just like the Corvette alternator bracket. I'm guessing you aren't running power steering?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
4/11/17 11:00 p.m.

No but I have room below it where a type 2(little gm pump) pump could be mounted. I think I have pictures of the bracket fabrication on my phone or something. Relatively easy build, and the stupid corvette bracket is $185 or something silly like that

Moedigzz
Moedigzz New Reader
5/28/17 8:07 p.m.

Such a cool build! I hope to use the info your thread to plan my own LS'd LS build. Please post as many pics you can. Thank you for your help.

Moedigzz
Moedigzz New Reader
7/1/17 1:37 p.m.

In reply to patgizz: Photobucket has blocked your pic.

Ls_monk
Ls_monk
9/22/17 6:50 p.m.

So is this thread dead. Did he ever getting it running good?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/22/17 7:03 p.m.

Nope . . . Just no updates at this point.

I hope to get back on it late October.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 7:54 p.m.

Hadn't seen you around in a while. Glad to hear feom you.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/22/17 8:29 p.m.

Between work and family, I've been mostly lurking.  With 100°+ temps this summer said to stay inside.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/22/17 8:32 p.m.

It has been fairly warm down here. I've had a hard time being motivated myself. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/22/17 9:42 p.m.

I saw this thread pop back up again and was Excited!  Clicked in, and found bad news (no real update) and good news (work to begin again soon) Hurray!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/24/17 7:13 p.m.

The toughest part of this swap is:

• Oil Pan
  • Transmission
  • Truck FEAD

Since I'm not paying the T56 tax or spending $700 + $200 on a Z32 trans, I have to be creative using the NV3500.  I'm planning using the T56 shifter setup from a V1 CTS-V T56 with a Crammit shifter level striker. The GTO front sump oil pan doesn't provide any favors in locating the engine (1.5-2" too high and chopping the crossmember for proper setback with truck FEAD, but saves $3-500). But getting everything in place without any body mods to the LS, other than some crossmember surgery, takes patience. The hardest part is the CTS-V T56 shifter setup as I need the whole system for this to work.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/27/17 10:56 a.m.

Just rolled up on this, next to my 2nd gen V the LS is a favorite.  LM shoulda executed  the same  400+hp and a manual trans from the factory....thanks for your effort . Get it running first and then susp/brakes?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/27/17 12:23 p.m.

Thanks! That's the plan. Interesting tidbit . . . V1 CTS-V springs will fit without modification. Since guys give these away, I picked up a few sets wink

Ls_monk
Ls_monk New Reader
10/1/17 8:26 a.m.

I have the stance coil overs and 4 piston willwood calipers setup already, so I'm just need the ls3  engine installed now. I ended up getting the tr6060 transmission not the t56. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/1/17 6:23 p.m.

S_Z,  V springs !??? that  is whack what else could possibly fit...... V rotors/calipers??? Who knew...hey your fab skills rock....bro

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
10/1/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The last time I was under my V, I measured the springs up. They are soooooo close, I had to try em since you can get a set for either free or pay for shipping. A guy on V group on FB had some Eibachs for a LS and used them on his V1.

I may end up using two front sets since V1s have Nivomats in the rear.

Thanks for compliment. I'm still a newb and need more practice.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
10/1/17 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Ls_monk :

Sweet!! I love the LS3.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
10/10/17 7:01 p.m.

I originally installed a 02 Z06 cam in the 4.8 because I couldn't find a Hot cam for cheap. Today, I scored a Howard's Cams ASA (197715-10) cam NITB for $200 devil

Cam specs:

• 4.8 specs - 190/191 .466/.457 114 LSA
  • 02+ Z06 specs - 204/218 .550/.551 117.5 LSA
  • Howard's Cam ASA specs - 226/236 .525/.525 110 LSA

Looks like I'll need to add some beef to the valvetrain to support some of them extra RPMs!!

Ls_monk
Ls_monk New Reader
1/4/18 9:22 a.m.

We got our harness back with programmed ecu. We basically only had one option for oil pan the Moroso that’s made for race/drift. The steering rack and shifter location determined the oil pan. Also ordered dual cooling fans and Walbro fuel pump. 

Any progress on yours strike_zero?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
1/4/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Ls_monk :

Since I was doing this on the cheap, that Moroso pan was out. I'm using Ford Contour V6 dual fans to keep it cool.

I still have to pull it, drop in the ASA cam and upgraded pushrods. I want to try out the CTSV V1 ebay headers . . . At less than $300, why not! But I need to sell some stuff before I pickem up.

Ls_monk
Ls_monk New Reader
2/9/18 10:31 a.m.

What Volvo mounts are you using? Also what are you doing for clutch and brake using Oem?

Parts weren’t that bad ....here is the pan setup on my car.

Oil pan is moroso part #
Mor-20138
Pick up tube #
Nal-12572654
Pan gasket #
Nal-12612350
Wimdage tray #
Nal-12558253
Dipstick #
Mor-25973

Ls_monk
Ls_monk New Reader