1 2 3
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
3/7/15 7:31 a.m.

I've run cut springs in the past,drilled holes in the lower seat and used steel cable with clips to secure them from jumping around too much.

I've decided agaisn't the 4efte,fellow racer is parting a 1st gen paseo so I'm grabbing the engine,harness and ecu.I have a set of R1 carbs so after I freshen up the engine I'll whip up a manifold,the carbs have a TPS so I should be able to use it or rig up the oem one in its place and use the ecu just for ignition.The oem head gasket for a 2nd gen is .5mm thinner so that's an easy compression bump.

Keep updating with your progress please.

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
3/7/15 1:50 p.m.

Its good to see GCAC still going! (your auto x vids) I was a founding member of that club back in 1995...I really need to get over there and see it again!

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
3/8/15 1:43 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: I've run cut springs in the past,drilled holes in the lower seat and used steel cable with clips to secure them from jumping around too much. I've decided agaisn't the 4efte,fellow racer is parting a 1st gen paseo so I'm grabbing the engine,harness and ecu.I have a set of R1 carbs so after I freshen up the engine I'll whip up a manifold,the carbs have a TPS so I should be able to use it or rig up the oem one in its place and use the ecu just for ignition.The oem head gasket for a 2nd gen is .5mm thinner so that's an easy compression bump. Keep updating with your progress please.

another cool idea is you can put the 3E-E SOHC head on the 1st gen paseo 5EFE block and have a 13:1 compression engine, slap some 1.8 miata injectors and run e85

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
3/8/15 1:52 p.m.

Today I got around to taking the head apart. Found 5 out of 16 valves out of spec. Tip: Ice cube trays and shoe boxes help with order and storage for the springs, keepers, retainers, and valves.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
3/8/15 9:43 p.m.
echoechoecho wrote:
kevlarcorolla wrote: I've run cut springs in the past,drilled holes in the lower seat and used steel cable with clips to secure them from jumping around too much. I've decided agaisn't the 4efte,fellow racer is parting a 1st gen paseo so I'm grabbing the engine,harness and ecu.I have a set of R1 carbs so after I freshen up the engine I'll whip up a manifold,the carbs have a TPS so I should be able to use it or rig up the oem one in its place and use the ecu just for ignition.The oem head gasket for a 2nd gen is .5mm thinner so that's an easy compression bump. Keep updating with your progress please.
another cool idea is you can put the 3E-E SOHC head on the 1st gen paseo 5EFE block and have a 13:1 compression engine, slap some 1.8 miata injectors and run e85

Then I'd need to spend money on an ecu,I'm better with carbs then electronics.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
3/8/15 10:48 p.m.

the paseo ecu will run it fine, check out tercelonline.com someone over there did that head swap and ran it on the stock paseo ecu.

kevlarcorolla, do you have a build thread? i would like to see your progress too.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
3/9/15 4:27 p.m.

I prefer to watch other projects then document my own,the tercel will take a backseat while I get my summer cars prepped.

I'm just gathering parts at this time,I'll research that 3E-E as high comp with snappy quad throttle response is a good thing.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
4/10/15 8:01 p.m.

Small update, A friend helped me with the lathe in School this week, the front of LCA came out awesome. I used 75D polyurethane. I have to firgure out how to make the rears(rear of the front LCA) sorry I dont have a picture of it on the lathe, the school doesnt allow cellphones in the workshop.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
5/7/15 7:16 p.m.

I Autocrossed this past weekend in the echo on brand new tires, the Falken RT-615k they were the cheapest 200 rated tires I could find (about 75 each). Much better than my daily's. I came out on top of my class, two cars 4 drivers total the other car was a well prepped fiesta. Here is the video of my fastest run, still need to improve my driving lol. Fastest Run On to my other car, I dropped off the block and pistons at the machine shop. while I'm waiting for that I thought I'll try some test painting on my hood. Im going to use the rustoleum roll on method. so far the hood is prepped and primed, now I cant wait for the lots of sanding I will be doing.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
5/7/15 7:43 p.m.

This is a fun thread to read. Love seeing cheap cars nobody pays much attention to getting hooned.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
5/8/15 8:22 a.m.

I'm just excited to see someone doing more than minimum maintenance on a Tercel. I've never seen a build thread for one before.

The Echo is also on my "perpetually looking" list, and I haven't bitten for much the same reason as mazdeuce.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
7/14/15 7:53 p.m.

Ok update time, I went to the Georgia match tour with the echo and had a blast. Last week someone crashed(total loss) into my Mothers friend and she happened to have a black toyota echo, went by her house to see if I can score some parts, lucky enough I got there at the same time as the insurance guy. I asked him if I can swap some parts he didnt care as long as I didnt leave anything missing and that I was done before the tow truck arrived. My trunk on her car My new trunk On to the Tercel. engine is done its going back into the car next week or so. I removed all of the old rubber from the motor mounts and poured in some 60A poly I got a used ebay stainless steel header for cheap, it cleaned up nice.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
8/24/15 9:47 p.m.

I got a lot done this past weekend with the tercel, engine is finally in the car. ITBs are on and now to firgure out how to hook up the throttle cable.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
8/24/15 10:10 p.m.

Badass!

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
8/26/15 3:48 p.m.

Good progress so far, can't wait to hear this thing run.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/2/15 1:28 p.m.

Any updates on this? I've always loved these little cars.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
12/3/15 12:32 p.m.

Sorry I have been pretty busy, I got the car running less than a week before the challenge and I broke in the engine on the way to the challenge lol. I did pretty well came in 17th not counting the exhibition cars. Right now the car is running on the stock ecu, it runs rich at idle/cruise and lean at WOT. I am currently soldering up a megasquirt for it. with a good tune it should drop a second in the 1/4. Im also planning on getting wheels and Hoosiers.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/3/15 7:48 p.m.

What does it sound like with the ITBs?

I've driven a Tercel in anger before, and something with so little weight is a blast.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/3/15 8:02 p.m.

my aunt had an ugly green one of these (tercel) she bought new to learn to drive stick in. They certainly offer the toyota durabilty!

YoloRX7
YoloRX7 New Reader
12/3/15 11:10 p.m.

Cool build. I always found the Tercels to be stupid fun. They can handle one heck of a beating. You by far have the coolest one I have ever seen.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
12/3/15 11:43 p.m.

We cut a nascar spring in half for our challenge car. Some time with a grinder ti flatten out the cut ends and BINGO! No issues with springs that don't sit right.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat New Reader
12/4/15 9:16 a.m.

I, too, would like to hear this car. Buddy of mine in HS had one of these and it gave my AW11 MR2 a run for its money.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
4/10/16 10:07 p.m.

Long time since I updated, anyways remember the Echo I traded for a bicycle? Well I sold it for $1200!!! I needed something that I can pull a boat and maybe the tercel. So for 200 more ($1400) I got this 2004 Mazda Tribute and its a 5 speed. So I got megasquirt working pretty good in the tercel, still got to work on the ignition table but man this car is fun! here is my fastest run, still have to work on my driving lol. https://www.youtube.com/embed/8tXt54aoKdw

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
4/12/16 7:40 p.m.

Car sounds very good,looks to handle pretty decent too....well done my good man!

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
4/12/16 11:46 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Car sounds very good,looks to handle pretty decent too....well done my good man!

Thanks, that was a very bumpy parking lot and the car handled it like a champ, Im still running street tires currently saving up for some hoosiers.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LPYwwGc0zTQGaBzuYbLGUdFlJnBLWxpozsGneTh7zNzByZVd6nc4dJZbZG7d2urW