4 5 6 7 8
rodknock
rodknock Reader
2/9/22 11:32 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to rodknock :

Nice to know.  I think the NB steering wheels look nicer and I was wondering about the clock spring.

You can also use a 2000s Protege wheel which should be more plentiful in the junkyards.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=537577

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/9/22 12:08 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

Ooooh, nice! That looks great!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/9/22 1:32 p.m.

That does look nice.  Only problem with getting it in the yards is they won't sell airbags.  We'll figure out something but the more options the better.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/9/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Looks like ebay may be your friend here. NB Miata wheel listings

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/9/22 5:27 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stampie :

I didn't click the link, but be advised, eBay removed my listing for an airbag because I listed it as shipping available.  Apparently it's against rules to ship them..... Something about hazardous materials etc. 

YMMV.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/9/22 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

So what you're saying is sort by distance and then threaten the closest seller that you'll report them to ebay if they don't sell really cheap for local pickup.  Right?

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/9/22 7:26 p.m.

Maybe try that Treasure Coast Miata place.  I know you're not afraid of a little driving.

Edit: yup, they've got one 90-97 airbag unit listed on their website for $22.  Steering wheel too for $95 - probably can find that cheaper somewhere.

I know you can get a new clock-spring unit from Rock Auto.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/9/22 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yep. And good on you for wanting the car to be as safe as possible for Lil' Stamp.  It shows you might actually want him to stick around for a while. surprise

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
2/9/22 11:23 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stampie :

I didn't click the link, but be advised, eBay removed my listing for an airbag because I listed it as shipping available.  Apparently it's against rules to ship them..... Something about hazardous materials etc. 

YMMV.

It may be that you have to ship them Ground. I just bought a Civic pre-tensioner off eBay and the seller said he couldn't ship it unless it was Ground.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
2/9/22 11:55 p.m.

Do NB visors fit NAs? If so, I should have a pair in my garage that I removed from my 99. Could be yours for the cost of shipping. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie New Reader
2/11/22 9:25 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

couldnt tell you, i would assume so with the simular window frame

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/12/22 3:51 a.m.

Yeah, the visors are the same for NA/NB. Early NA's had some split visors that are desirable as they don't get in the way as much.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
2/13/22 2:40 p.m.

If you guys are still looking for a steering wheel I found the one below.

I talked to her and its out of a 1997. 

Its somewhat far from me, but if you are interested I will figure out a way to get it. Just let me know. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/13/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

We need to do some research.  Talking to Dusterdb13 yesterday he says that the design of the 2000s I guess gen2 airbags was better.  It's not high on the list as Lil Stampie can't legally drive for a little over a year.  We need to get it up on stands and check out the wiring first.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/13/22 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Don't take my recollection as gospel.  It's been a few years and I've slept since then. But, maybe a good main forum discussion 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/13/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

But I've already ordered 10,000 units and filed paperwork to form a company to retrofit NA Miatas.  Naw you're cool, I appreciate you for sharing the info with me.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/13/22 6:09 p.m.

The NB steering wheel is a pretty big aesthetic upgrade.  If you want an airbag, that does look nicer :). 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/14/22 9:41 a.m.
Slippery said:

If you guys are still looking for a steering wheel I found the one below.

I talked to her and its out of a 1997. 

Its somewhat far from me, but if you are interested I will figure out a way to get it. Just let me know. 

That's an insane price for an NA steering wheel, even with the airbag. 

You can barely give those wheels away last I looked. I have like 4 of them...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
2/14/22 12:18 p.m.

Here's the visors I can send. They don't work well with my 6' self.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/21/22 3:54 p.m.

Lil Stampie's goal for today was to get the his Miata up on our large stands. I'll skip to the end and tell you that didn't get done. 

First we had to lower the parts 2002 off of two of them. Don't think I got any pictures of it but it was only slightly sketchy. 

Started to jack up the Miata with our custom made 2x4s to fit over the pinch welds. 

At this point I wanted to at least try and get a look at the cat/wires. I slipped my fat behind under and noticed this.

I said aha that must be the damage. Then I felt what I thought was the loom around the wires and realized that it was a single thick wire.  That means it's the main battery wire.  Remembering that Lil Stampie said that he had lights and stuff I said let's check stuff. 

First the fuel pump relay clicks. We popped the fuel pressure regulator off and quick cycle of the key and we have fuel to the rail. Found my spark tester and we have spark. Took the oil cap off and the exhaust cam is spinning. 

At this point Lil Stampie was done because he wanted to hang out with his friends. And the Miata ended up like this. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie New Reader
2/23/22 4:49 p.m.

got both sides up on the stands, got off school and had nothing else to do

(i also washed my dads car since he never cares for how clean it is and lets tree goop get all over it)

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/23/22 7:05 p.m.

I wonder if you could get Dusterbd13 to buy those wheels from you.  He'll buy almost anything, and seems to have a soft spot for tacky...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/23/22 7:40 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Keep talking him down.  I'm ready to offer him $20 for them.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/23/22 8:14 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

I wonder if you could get Dusterbd13 to buy those wheels from you.  He'll buy almost anything, and seems to have a soft spot for tacky...

Hey now. Im a discerning connoisseur of vintage wheel fashions. 

Ill go $50laugh

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/24/22 4:38 p.m.

I came home from work to see this. 

I think things are happening. 

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEeQcbWEguw7oUytIoTYszEqYivrwVxhQy0za4aGS1nCje0Ay15p5GHEJeu8aDKP