4 5 6 7 8
bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
11/7/14 8:40 a.m.

Awesome project! I might have missed it, what are the plans for the car when you finish?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
11/7/14 9:37 a.m.

Easily one of my favorite build threads on here!

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
11/7/14 10:43 a.m.

Nice cage.

The
The HalfDork
11/7/14 11:57 a.m.
Awesome project! I might have missed it, what are the plans for the car when you finish?

I am building it right now just to see if I can, I have always purchased my track cars built, I just wanted to see if I can replicate the picture I have in my mind. beyond that I don't know, I built 3 off road cars last year and they all sold before I finished them. This one my do the same.

Easily one of my favorite build threads on here!

thanks man that means a lot to me! just ordered the CAE shifter and the OMP fire suppression system. (850 for a shifter) are you kidding, it is suppose to be one bad ass shifter, locks out reverse and springs to the center as you shift it is suppose to prevent a miss shift (which I have done and boom goes the s14). thanks again for following, its a big part of why I do it.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/7/14 12:16 p.m.

I love watching these builds, including yours. Keep it up!

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
11/7/14 8:23 p.m.

Where do you plan to race?

I like that shifter a lot

The
The HalfDork
11/13/14 4:59 p.m.
Where do you plan to race?

unless I sell the car I will run it at Barber in Birmingham Al, got the shifter and the rest of the brake cooling kit, I guess it's time to put the harness back in.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
11/13/14 6:25 p.m.

Who did the cage work? I live around Birmingham too.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/13/14 6:28 p.m.

holy awesome shifter.

The
The HalfDork
11/13/14 8:29 p.m.
Who did the cage work? I live around Birmingham too.

http://www.kirkracing.com/ I thought this cage was a steal at 2k. Kirk is in Mt. Olive

The
The HalfDork
11/17/14 3:42 p.m.

finished painting the cage, I guess it is time to put the harness back in........oh bouy. I received a red fire suppression, I ordered a BLACK one, return return.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
11/17/14 7:57 p.m.

Where do the fire suppression systems actually spray? Something I always wondered

The
The HalfDork
11/18/14 7:32 a.m.

it has 3 nozzles, 1 for the fuel tank, 1 for the driver and 1 for the engine bay.

The
The HalfDork
11/23/14 3:41 p.m.

It's on..........what does that plug into

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
11/26/14 1:18 p.m.

Love this build! Keep up the great work so I/we can keep reading!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/26/14 1:55 p.m.

Kind of makes you wish you labelled everything better than youdid, dDon't it?

The
The HalfDork
11/28/14 9:37 a.m.
Kind of makes you wish you labelled everything better than youdid, dDon't it?

not a problem, plenty of pictures and the plugs are pretty simple, just takes times, so No it Don't.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/28/14 12:05 p.m.

Nice to hear. Most guys don't document enough. They think it is, but in the long run they don't.

Also, nice to hear about simplified plugs. Im used to stuff that yses the same three plugs a hundred times.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
12/12/14 6:20 p.m.

Any updates on this masterpiece?

The
The HalfDork
12/13/14 3:30 p.m.

I have been laying off waiting on the roof, that and the harness, fire suppression, ready to get going again.

mmurray
mmurray New Reader
12/17/14 2:02 p.m.

This. is. awesome. Great read so far, looking forward to the finish!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog New Reader
12/17/14 2:08 p.m.

So, what sort of weight savings are you looking at with the carbon roof?

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
12/17/14 5:01 p.m.

I got to go on a tour of the BMW factory in Munich a few years ago, they would put the wiring harness' in an oven prior to install so they would flex and install easier. The workers had nice gloves, I don't remember the temp but it was hot enough to burn you if you didn't have gloves.

I can't imagine the fun of trying to get that harness in with a new cage in the way.

Car looks like it will be fun!

The
The HalfDork
12/19/14 2:52 p.m.
So, what sort of weight savings are you looking at with the carbon roof?

the weight saving is achieved by unbolting the sunroof cassette, it's all one piece and probably weights 35lbs, there is no weight saved with the carbon roof, it weights a little less than the metal roof you remove, so it is done purely for the look. I would not advise it or do it again, just drop the sunroof and plug the hole, save the $1300.00 for some other mod.

I can't imagine the fun of trying to get that harness in with a new cage in the way.

oh its tons of fun come over and share in the fun I don't want to hog it all..........getting it in is not the tough part getting it to work is another story yeah I know, you warned me, even swmbo has seen this so many times, when I started this one she said "now remember don't mess with the wires"

The
The HalfDork
12/19/14 7:32 p.m.

Which one of these wires is keeping this car from starting???

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u73KvHxxnicaFioLagwAL1ec5MoDRQGW5vAweHAcaugKEegoiSI8KnbdAxNBLPoI