1/30/20 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Previous owner had an angry ex

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 1:00 p.m.
Patrick said:

The fook you doing with a miata

They told me to say no to drugs in school. They never said E36 M3 about Miatas.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/30/20 1:01 p.m.

Welcome to the club!

Its going to get ugly.....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/30/20 1:07 p.m.
Daylan C said:
Patrick said:

Just another sad sign of our failing public educational system. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
1/30/20 2:34 p.m.
Daylan C said:
Patrick said:

The first rule about 'say... '

oh, wait.  E36 M3.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/30/20 4:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Welcome to the club!

It's already ugly. 

More to follow!

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 4:51 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Welcome to the club!

It's already ugly. 

More to follow!

I'm probably about to get catfished by a Mazda. It's ok though I actually have really low standards.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 4:55 p.m.

So some of you may have put 2 and 3 and 4 together already.

Remember this pic from Spacecadet's thread? Yeah the other Miata is the one I'm buying.

I have a flight to Houston booked.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/30/20 5:26 p.m.

Swap the 4.3 V8 into it.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/30/20 5:27 p.m.

I had two Miatas and wanted to have zero Miatas then somehow I had three Miatas and now I have one Miata and thanks to Daylan will have zero Miatas. 

The story is that the guy who bought Rufus had to jettison some Miatas to make his wife happy about his Miata problem. I didn't want another Miata but the deal was too good to pass on and made he and his wife super happy. Then I just had to sell the Golfball, which Daylan is helping me out with. In the next few weeks I'm going to poke around and do a bit of maintenance (oil change and what not) to get it ready for the road trip. I pulled it into the Grosh this morning. Pictures and stuff coming soon, but the long and short is that it's a hail damaged 2002 with 206k miles, a fairly crummy hard top, and a brand new clutch (dealer installed with receipts, who does that?) Some issues, but it's probably the cheapest hard top NB in the country. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 5:57 p.m.
slowbird said:

Swap the 4.3 V8 into it.

No my plans on this one are boring. Leave it the hell alone and drive the berk out of it.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/30/20 6:47 p.m.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/31/20 1:13 p.m.

Damn Seth, you're liquidating some serious vehicle inventory, haha!  What's next?!?!

mazdeuce - Seth
1/31/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

One motorcycle just got dealed away, need to sell a scooter and two more dirt bikes and then the truck. The plan is to move one vehicle a month. Jan and Feb were the Miatas. I don't think the Golfball counts as it wasn't really supposed to come home. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/31/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yeah, you say that now, but...

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/31/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

As of right now Golfball is a driver. I typically don't like to take perfectly good usable vehicles apart to objectively make them worse. If, and I most definitely mean if, on a long enough timeline Golfball gets an engine swap, it will probably be a K24. For now though I want this car to be a simple and cheap to run seat time car. My desire to get seat time is why I'm spending this money on Golfball before I finish the LS swap in Humphrey. But don't worry Humphrey isn't going anywhere, I'm getting all of the dumb hot rod antics out of my system with that car.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/1/20 11:48 a.m.

Daylan told me not to fix anything. I'm not listening. 

First, the drivers side skirt fell off when we autocrossed this car a month-ish ago. It was never put back on. This kind of sucks because it's too long to fit anywhere but the passenger seat and that's no way to drive half way across the country. 

That plastic bag has thr right size push fasteners. Lately I've taken to ordering 50-100 of any fastener I need more than 2 of. This has come in handy. Skirt back on. Or as my kids would say, skirt skirt. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/1/20 12:11 p.m.

Next we have the drivers window. It only goes down this far. 

There is a clip on the upper uppie/downie cable that broke letting the cable housing move and bind. This took me a bit to figure out because everything important is behind metal on the door structure and the car seems to have auto up/down windows that attempt to cut my fingers off if they're inside the door when I press the buttons. The easy solution would have been to order a new clip (if they exist) but after a couple of different ideas I ended up with a rivet, washers and a mountable zip tie. 

Which of course you can't see at all when it's mounted aside from this rivet head. So who ever owns this car in the future, that's why this is there and what it's doing. 

And it works great. Solid as a rock and the window goes up and down. So now if Daylan gets pulled over on the way home he can roll the window down all the way and not get into one of those Cops situations where he only rolls it part way down and they yell at him and he tries to explain but they yell more and then he opens the door and they freak out and pull guns and then he has to spend the entire weekend bruised and in jail. Better to fix the window. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/1/20 12:18 p.m.

Next we have the contents of the trunk, including.....the visors? 

Not sure what that's about but they're back on. There isn't the hardboard piece in the trunk which is a bummer (maybe I can make something?) But the jack, spare and all that is scattered about. Unfortunately this is the spare, has about as much air as you'd expect. 

sharp eyes will notice my favorite brass hammer in the above picture. Now it looks like this. 

The other side had a smaller dent and that was tapped back into shape too. It appears to hold air for now. We'll see. Do I want to drive on it? Absolutely not. But would I rather send Daylan north with a full sketchy spare or an empty sketchy spare? I'll go with option #2

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
2/1/20 12:31 p.m.

Dang where was I when this got posted for sale.. need to visit here more often.

Cheapest Miata here in Austin is a 91 with saggy top and horrible rod knock for only $2300

FIRM

Nice score Daylan sounds like fun road trip ahead!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/1/20 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

This was not posted for sale anywhere. It was one of those rapid fire deals where you're chatting with your friends about this car you accidentally sort of bought/traded and then it's gone and you're happy but it's actually still in the yard for another three weeks so you might as well fix some stuff. The usual story. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
2/1/20 12:48 p.m.

Ahh gotcha. Interested in buying another challenge price car?? This one you can drive home!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xKAkhZNWv659s16j2DCHjZeiNA802fL0CfGEtWGlklA6X31Ruk1YIxw15P2OnL9