1 2 3 4
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/18/16 8:30 p.m.

Since I didn't have any parts to install it decided to clean the interior.

Sorry for the blurry picture

Found some tools in the trunk.

Much cleaner

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
12/19/16 8:52 a.m.

So it looks like the damage isn't too bad? Think you can fix it with just swapping parts and no frame work needed?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
12/19/16 9:00 a.m.

It might be worth it to just throw it on a straightener just in case, depending on how easily you can get it there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/19/16 9:35 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: In the garage.. Started right up after I put in a fresh battery. I didn't get a chance to dig into it but first step will be assessing what needs to be replaced and what is fixable. Hopefully I can start playing with it tomorrow.

The fact that you started the rebuild with a stack of lumber worries ma a little bit.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/19/16 9:54 a.m.

I'm following this build. Seems like a good deal. And I absolutely LOVE that color.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
12/19/16 10:52 a.m.

Looks good, if you find another one in similar shape/price let me know.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/19/16 11:51 a.m.

A C5 was the first corvette I ever drove...auto, convertible, bone stock and base trim. Still, if mashing the fun pedal in a fiberglass bodied V8 roadster doesnt elicite childlike giggles and wide, toothy grins, youre not doing it right

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/20/16 4:04 p.m.

Well this escalated quickly...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/20/16 4:06 p.m.

Yeah buddy!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/20/16 4:36 p.m.

Have you bought another?

A different one?
A parts car?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/20/16 4:42 p.m.

I bought a complete 2000 corvette minus the engine for $2200 today. It has a certificate of destruction. The guy I bought it from pulled the ls engine to put in his chevelle.

It has everything I need and then some. My plan is to sell off the parts I don't need. I am pretty sure I can zero the parts car out and keep the parts for mine. It has the complete interior and the transmission still.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/20/16 5:07 p.m.

Wow. Vette collector.

Seems like parting a Vette should be pretty easy.

Seems like you are playing the C5 game at prices cheaper than the C4 game. Well done.

God bless the Mrs Pimpy for her continued understanding!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/20/16 5:10 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

We will see how understanding she is with a derelict vetted parked in the yard

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
12/20/16 8:23 p.m.

what was wrong with the green one?... Looks fine in the pics.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/20/16 8:44 p.m.

It was a flood car which is why the insurance company didn't want to deal with it.

It wasn't badly damaged.The seller test drove it extensively before pulling the engine. It is a CD so it's only useable for parts.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
12/21/16 7:07 a.m.

Nice score. You'll be able to 0 that out without any trouble. Wheels, trans, seats, rear bumper and my bet is you'll already be there.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
12/21/16 7:23 a.m.

cool project. I'm in for progress.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/21/16 1:39 p.m.

Nice! I gotta figure out how to find deals like that... pretty cool. I'm curious to see where this goes, since I've not seen much of the guts of a C5 before.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/21/16 9:30 p.m.

I pulled off the hood tonight and decided to remove the cracked steering rack. It wasn't to awful with the radiator out of the car.

Tha car has practically brand new Bridgestone re760 tires up front. I am torn I plan to run the car in BS and those are not going to cut it. Anyone looking for a set of front tires for a C5?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/21/16 9:57 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Based solely on the chrome taillights I am 100% sure the previous owner was a major douche...

FTFY

Stampie
Stampie Dork
12/22/16 12:50 a.m.

What size are those tires?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
12/22/16 7:18 a.m.

Wow Awesome project! At this rate, I wonder how long it will be before one can be snagged at a challenge friendly price.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
12/22/16 11:56 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Wow Awesome project! At this rate, I wonder how long it will be before one can be snagged at a challenge friendly price.

Watching copart he got a pretty good steal. ls1's still go for too much money normally. in ten years when the ls1 is as old as a sbc you might get them for <2k...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
12/22/16 12:38 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: Wow Awesome project! At this rate, I wonder how long it will be before one can be snagged at a challenge friendly price.
Watching copart he got a pretty good steal. ls1's still go for too much money normally. in ten years when the ls1 is as old as a sbc you might get them for <2k...

If you are patient enough on craigslist you can find LS1 Firebirds or a Camaro. I have purchased 3 for Challenge money, 2 autos and a 6 speed that popped out of 5th. I even sold the one of this forum for Challenge money.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
12/22/16 1:10 p.m.

I have yet to see my local camaro ls cars be less than 4k that were not beat to E36 M3 enough to disqualify them from a challenge... lol.

but everybody's locale is different. Also I swear I've seen two 6spds ever (under 5k)... Just NOT common around here.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2PHVFY2UZ8UQhCvi8mw8iS7esIvp08JbJGuzAe0IJ3huw9GaTfaLaaih2L8qxhN2