1 2 3 4
bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/5/22 2:31 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

I had the Grabber AT2 tires before on my other wagon.  These are the newer ATX version. IDK how they will be, though I expect to have some noise and decrease in overall performance.  

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
1/5/22 2:44 p.m.

Yeah, I had the AT2s. I wouldn't expect these to be a whole lot different by the looks of them, which I think is a good thing.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/8/22 5:48 p.m.

Wife forgot to get me some index cards to mask off the wheels for repaint. I still need to go over them again before I say they are good. 

Anyhow I did upgrade the head unit with a new unit from my brother from Christmas! Alpine something or other lolz. It's noice. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/9/22 11:23 a.m.

And so it begins. I'm gonna try to do this daily. Goals today. Remove battery and air cleaner. Drain oil and coolant. Have car up on four jackstands. Tommorow is work then I'm off till the next Monday. So not much tommorow.  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/9/22 8:13 p.m.

Goals done. Short of draining the oil. Which I realized I couldn't do as my drain pan was full.  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/12/22 10:12 a.m.

Yesterdays goals done. Only bolts that gave me a real issue were the bolts that connect the knuckle to the lower control arms. Had to cut one out and the same with the other. One is still seized in the bushing and as such I had to remove the whole assembly. As in the whole set of control arms and trailing arm. They are both at work for a buddy to do the hubs/bearings.  New bolts and bushings otw. Front and rear coilovers are pulled. As it sits now. Todays goal is to pull the engine. 

I also found a mod for the 4EAT transmission to make the car locked in awd. Normally with a auto it's a split leaning towards fwd. Awd is engaged when it detects slippage. A rocker switch and a resistor in line with a cut wire, once engaged makes the car 50/50 like a manual. Sorta like putting it in 4lo. So yeah. Gonna do that. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/12/22 12:23 p.m.

I've decided to slow down. I keep running into things that make my deadline less realistic. I'm still gonna push but now idk. I'll start back later. As of now up top is ready. Need to drop exhaust and starter and trans bolts along with engine mounts and it should come out. 

Sigh. Will update.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/12/22 1:48 p.m.

Nice!  I just picked this thing up last week and did the forester lift.   

Love the wheels btw!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/12/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Thank you!  Nice wagon!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/12/22 4:23 p.m.

So today 

Removed the ac under hood as it wasn't functional and I could care less. Only thing keeping the engine in is the bell housing bolts. I can't find my chain or strap to pull it. So that's tommorow. I reckon tommorows goals? Pull engine and get on the stand. Perhaps clean the bay and finish removing the sway bars. Friday goals are to strip the engine and get it ready to go back together. That should be a good update. 

As it sits. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/13/22 4:19 p.m.

Alright. Goals met for today. I'm feeling A little E36 M3ty today so I did exactly just what I needed. The engine more or less came out easily once I got it unstuck. Anyhow as it sits it's on the stand ready for disassembly. I'm entertaining the possibility of putting the front suspension on the vehicle so I can get some thing done. Tomorrow I intend to at least pull the heads off and start cleaning everything. But I'm not sure how that's gonna play out. Wife is on the way to get a Covid test so here's hoping. Anyhow here's some pics. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/15/22 2:04 p.m.

Damnit boys. I have the Corona. Other than congestion fatigue and the utter loss of taste and smell I'm fine. It sucks though as I really can't do much. My plans to get the car back over the last week are shot.  Sigh. 

I did decide to bedline the wheels. Looks like it's gonna be a good choice. 

Wet in the pics. Came out nice. I didn't get the rear suspension done at work as Corona is makin the rounds there as well. Sigh. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/19/22 10:03 a.m.

Alright.  So as mentioned I got the Covid. Thursday I was feeling horrible and Friday wasnt much  better. My carefully crafted plan to get this thing back and running was shot!  Thankfully through prior messages I had stumble into a local guy who has done plenty of these and a deal was struck.  I had asked him to basically do the heads for me, so that once I get that done and all cleaned up - all I would need to do is finish the timing service (he advised  to replace the tensioner which was shot).  Im glad this was done. I had previously checked the timing belt and it looked fine. Upon removal of all the covers the tensioner was found to be shot and the belt was on the way out. This could have been worse.  Also it was discovered when the heads were off, the passenger side was not far away from leaking coolant.  So between a coolant leak and a shot timing belt, it seemed I was worse off than just a oil leak.  Regardless. Props to Jas who came down and knocked it out for me. Great attention to detail as well.  I asked him to not clean up the block afterwards as I was gonna do it.  So no after pics till I get this back together and looking great.  Thanks brother!

Where it was leaking.

Valve train looks in great shape.

Looks good!

Pic of Jas's car. 99 Impreza 2.5RS thats built.  Nice car, very nice. Thanks again Jas!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/20/22 11:51 a.m.

Well. Back to work and feeling better. Hope to make some progress. Id like to have the suspension back in so I can roll it out to clean the bay and all that. Looking unlikely but I will do my best. Picked up oil and coolant along with a new radiator and thermostat. I need some clamps and hose to redo the trans cooler lines where I had to cut them as they weren't coming off!  I did slap the intake back on. So that's something?

Timing belt tensioner should be here today so I may button up the engine tonight. Idk. We will see!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/24/22 8:26 a.m.

For Pete's sake.  Friday was a bust - ice and way too cold and had to work. I did leave early but even then. Nope.  

Saturday - same thing

Sunday - nice outside - ice melting - had to run to another county to get my son tested for Covid (which he has) as nobody local tested on Sunday.  So that shot my whole weekend.  Le sigh.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/24/22 9:01 a.m.

In NC?

andyb72
andyb72 New Reader
1/24/22 9:53 a.m.

This looks like a great little subaru project.  We have an 02 WRX auto and I enjoy cruising around in it.  Trying not to mod it as it's supposed to be the wifes car.  Will be following along with your journey

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/24/22 1:22 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Yesssssir

hybridmomentspass
1/24/22 1:50 p.m.
bonylad said:

Yesssssir

Winston Salem here

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/25/22 8:05 a.m.

Your not too far away!  What ya building?

hybridmomentspass
1/25/22 9:21 a.m.
bonylad said:

Your not too far away!  What ya building?

Turbo MR2. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-long-overdue-mr2-build-thread/188073/page1/

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/26/22 7:36 a.m.

I had a 88 MR2 AW11 NA. Was a stupid fun car. Gokart for the street. I can imagine what a SW20 feels like!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/26/22 7:39 a.m.

Engine is buttoned up!  If anything I'll have it running by the weekend. Assuming life doesn't keep stopping me. Currently my mother in law is staying with us as her hubby is in hospital with Covid Pneumonia. So it's all a little hectic.  

As it she sits. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/28/22 4:52 p.m.

Success!  Shop foreman for the last little bit done and now I'm waiting on the one link and I'll have all the suspension done! Thanks Lee!  

Pic of me holding it all triumphant like. 

I approve. 

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
1/28/22 5:24 p.m.

Wait, you must have turned it a bit after you put the timing belt on, right? Otherwise, the marks don't look right to me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fyYsZms7Hhefk9xdySLXgEFUfxrxIzRag5o5nbRMbROHReIjLMNgthQvy2yRDjRY