2 3 4
bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/28/22 8:03 p.m.

Yeah I did it's not exactly lined up right now but when I timed it it was good I posted a pictures on the local Subaru group to confirm so. But thank you for expressing concern!

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
1/28/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Oh, good. Carry on!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/30/22 6:43 p.m.

Well. I did make some progress today. All four struts are installed. I pulled the sway bar from the front and rear. 

Why?  Articulation and weight reduction. May not make much difference but with the wider track and lift I hadn't planned on going nuts anyhow. Last one I lifted had no sways and it rode fine. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
1/31/22 8:36 a.m.

Have all the parts needed to do the Driver side rear suspension, and only waiting on a lateral link for the Passenger side rear. More typing this for my consumption as its been so long and bolts are everywhere.  Hope I can remember how it all goes LOLZ.

EDIT - The last part showed up.  May fire up the heater and put in some work tonight!  I would love to have it a roller so I can get it outside and pressure wash the bay BEFORE I put the engine in.  That may not work....but Im gonna try.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/2/22 12:32 p.m.

This is why I hate working on something and not being able to get to it.  I went to put parts on the right side so I could get the rear done. E36 M3 is upside down and not lining up.  Turns out the guy who did the bearings for me, flipped one of the trailing arms......Sigh.

I realllly hope to have this thing back by Sunday.......

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/5/22 4:39 p.m.

Done did work!  

Finished the suspension install. Further replaced the rear parking brake hardware and renewed my lifelong hatred of drum brakes. 

But oh well at least it has new rear wheel bearings. 

Once I was done I slapped the wheels on and made sure the trans wasn't going anywhere and rolled it out to clean the bay 

May not be able to see much but it's definitely cleaner. Subframe is spotless and I can identify the steering gear now. Lolz. 

Sneak peek!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/6/22 1:49 p.m.

Engine is in!  Bellhousing bolts done. Torque converter bolts done. Starter done. Exhaust done. Mounts done. Misc connections done. Sooooooo close. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/7/22 11:57 a.m.

Had about 20 minutes at lunch today to work on the car. Both of the power steering alternator belt assembly back on. Forgot to put two bolts into the pump. I'll do that tonight. Next is the airbox radiator which is going to be brand new. I have to transfer all the parts from the old to the new then fill it with fluids and a new filter and we'll see what happens. 

Also need to reinstall the throttlebody I had taken it off to give it a good clean. Originally I took it off not only for that purpose, but also to get to the torque converter bolts.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/7/22 9:47 p.m.

Too much cherry rum and coke. I slapped it all back together. Less oil and a radiator and no cooler lines connected. Went to crank it to see if it would turn. Son of a bitch fired right up. Two seconds if that and I realized yeaaaaaa dummy. Lol. All good. Little trans fluid on the ground and that's the worse of it. So yay. It fires and runs up. Last steps. Radiator and t stat along with hoses and clamps. New oil and filter and fluids.........and cooler lines and clamps and she will fire up!  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/8/22 12:13 p.m.

Pretty much all I need to do is slap the cooler lines in and t stat and hoses. Fluids and I'm done. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/9/22 7:08 a.m.

Summa Bee. 

All done. Cept for the leak from the new lines for the trans cooler. No lt the lines or fittings I made but the factory lines......le sigh. Getting new clamps and gonna clean the lines and see what happens. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

How in the?  My car is disc all around.  How do you have drums in the rear?  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/9/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It has disc brakes - those are the parking brake shoes inside the drum.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/22 10:22 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Oh that's right.  I haven't had the rears apart yet, but that was a reason I remember now to always get new rotors.  

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/9/22 10:32 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bonylad :

Oh that's right.  I haven't had the rears apart yet, but that was a reason I remember now to always get new rotors.  

Yep!  I just replaced the hardware as it was worn and rusty. Cheap enough. Shoes were fine and I live on the coast so, hills arent a thing. Cant recall a time I actually used the parking brake on any vehicle unless it was a manual.

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/9/22 11:54 a.m.

So I got new clamps to put on. Redid everything and made sure the lines were clean and the clamps were installed correctly and tightened correctly. Still leaked. I noticed this time while looking at it I saw a stream shooting out the side above the clamp. Given the rusty nature of the end of the lines, I figured something had to be going on with the line itself. 

So I decided to fix the problem once and for all. I went further up till I had a nice workable area, and cut the offending parts off. Need to get more hose to make longer lines but now everything should be good to go. Fingers crossed!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/9/22 8:54 p.m.

Allll done. So far no leaks. Woohoo!  I do have a check engine light but I didn't scan it yet. Took it on a run and she drives fine. Little tire noise. No more roaring from the bearings. Speedo is maybe five off. Engine performance is good. So far I'm happy!  Will update!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/17/22 2:07 p.m.

I have a small punch list to sort.

1. Rear toe on the passenger side is jacked up and cant be brought all the way back in. 

2. Have to sort some exhaust heat shield rattle.......thats annoying.

3. Reinspect fluids and make sure I have no leaks.  

I would love to take it offroad, but a local mudhole posted a private property notice...so yeah. Closest is 1.5 hrs away that is Busco Beach and Cat fish lake rd which is sorta offroadish (sp?).

Till then its hard parking and looking cool!

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/17/22 3:23 p.m.

Dang that thing is tall. Do a jump. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
2/17/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

Shiiiiiiit.  Still a mcpherson strut so not reallty suited for that lol.....would be cool.

r3vhappy
r3vhappy New Reader
2/18/22 11:14 a.m.

Those wheels are sick!

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
3/25/22 8:02 a.m.

Ugh. I'm not retyping all that. Car is great. Runs great. Have a check engine light for an evap leak. Fixed a lot of exhaust rattles. Etc. 

Upgraded my power outlet to a dual 3 amp unit with voltage display. Fit like butter. 

Gonna have to retake that last pic. Idk what happend. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
4/25/22 8:04 a.m.

To conclude this thread. The car is sold. I sold it to a gentleman and his son. Hope they enjoy it fully and have many miles of trouble free motoring.  For now, I am driving the S10.  Plans are in the works to pick up a 04 Saab 9-3 Aero Turbo 6 speed.  We will see.......

mstarr5478
mstarr5478
10/28/22 5:52 p.m.

I'm starting a similair build and yours looks promising! Already gave me ideas about how to pull the carpet. I have MAJOR water damage. The engine was ran out of oil. I'm trying to source a new motor really. It's been tough finding an NA ej. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1bbHz8BLXceakvsPenGdr4in1Dhtna8r0inyPf3wT7V5Iji5McVOXwgzmhi4Lh1t