1 2
jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/22/12 11:21 a.m.

Our starting point was a very clean 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V in very stock condition. Our mission was to keep it very stock on the outside, but make it killer fast – a real sleeper. Next step – shopping spree! Treadstone turbo kit with all the bells and whistles. Make all the parts and pipes that show black; the better to stealth you with, my dear. The Turbonetics T3/T4 with ball bearing upgrade, all by itself: Now for the fun part – tear all the stock stuff out.
First, take off the grill and bumper cover: Next, take off the stock exhaust manifold: Now to put the hot parts in: Install the intercooler: And the blowoff valve and piping: The air cleaner and final intake hookups: The oil feed and drain lines were also installed at this point. We were now ready to put the bumper cover and grill back on: Sweet stealthiness. Time to hook up the exhaust. The downpipe hooks to a 3” high flow cat, followed by 3” pipe all the way back. Finished off with a Vibrant StreetPower 3” flat black muffler for extra stealth and an awesome mellow exhaust note. Air/fuel ratio is maintained by an APEXi Neo AFC unit: Well, that’s it for the first installment. Next up is the suspension and brake work in preparation for its first autocross.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/22/12 11:32 a.m.

This looks cool.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
8/22/12 12:58 p.m.

Nice sleeper.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/22/12 1:08 p.m.

I can't stand how they got rid of the 02/03 bumpers on the SE-R, those are much better looking than the updated design.

However, good luck with your project!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
8/22/12 1:08 p.m.

Is that a frickin' SE-R with a frickin' turbo that's a sleeper too? jstein77, you complete me.

Harvey
Harvey New Reader
8/22/12 1:55 p.m.

Get thee to the dyno, whereupon we shall view the magic sheet.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/22/12 2:07 p.m.

Ask and ye shall receive.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/26/12 4:28 p.m.

So this is where we were when I took over the project: Other than the Tein lowering springs, the suspension was all stock. I had just gone through my black ’03 with fresh struts, brakes and tires, so I put the two up on jack stands side-by-side in the garage and started swapping parts. The rear shocks on the silver car were toast and the black car still wore its OEM shocks with 69K on them, so I purchased a pair of Koni Sports. I traded over the Koni Sport front struts, the new rotors and Akebono pads, and the wheels and tires. So now the ’03 (since purchased by an old friend of mine) wears the ’06 rims and the silver car has the ’03 rims. This actually worked out quite well for both of us, since the shiny ’06 rims look great with the black paint on the ’03, and the silver painted rims from the ’03 blend right in to the silver paint on the ’06. The tires are Sumitomo HTRZ-II, size 215/45-17. Alignment time. I used an Eibach camber kit with eccentric cams to get 2.5 degrees of negative camber, and then set the toe to zero. At the races, I dial in a half turn of toe-out while I’m changing tires. I’m using the same stock-sized (17 x 7) rims that I used on the black car, shod with Hankook Z214 slicks in the C71 compound. Really, these are woefully undersized for the Street Modified class, but I’m only doing local events and larger rims would require fender flaring. I’m still keeping the stealth look for now. The car was now ready for its first shakedown run, an autocross on the cool kart track on the infield of Daytona Speedway. Yikes, oversteer! Man, was it tail-happy; I was sideways everywhere. For the first two runs, the brakes were almost useless; it turned out an oil leak had lubricated them. I won the class, but was way down in 23rd on the PAX index. The SMF index is pretty tough, plus I’m way overweight for the class at 2700 lbs. on a minimum of 2188 for my car. I’ll never be able to get it that light and still have it be daily drivable, so I’ll just live with it as it is. Time to fix the issues. The oversteer was cured with a larger front anti-roll bar, an 25mm Eibach unit: There were a couple of issues with oil leaks, the worst of which was a missing O-ring on the dipstick tube. The drain line on the underside of the turbo was improperly crimped, so I replaced that. Lastly, the oil pan was pretty bent up from bottoming, so I put a new one on. Also, the rear race tires were heat cycled a few too many times, so I bought a new pair for the front and rotated them. Then I ran an autocross at Deland, a long, narrow airport course with a lot of transients and lots of third gear. At one point, I actually hit the rev limiter in third gear, which was the first time I’d ever done that! The result was fourth fastest overall, third on the PAX, and a class win by 3+ seconds. I’m happy. Since then, I’ve faded back to the middle teens in the PAX as my tires have more heat cycles on them and the courses have been more sweeper-intensive and mostly second gear. Getting the power down in second is pretty dodgy, especially as the tires get older. More tread width would definitely benefit the performance, as would less weight, but I won’t do either since I’m keeping it stealth and streetable. Besides, I’m unbeaten this year in SMF, and I’m having huge fun. And isn’t that the point?

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/5/12 7:43 p.m.

Here's a couple of in-car videos from "The Silver Bullet":

Orange County Convention Center

Geneva

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/19/12 8:40 p.m.

And here's a new video from Sebring. The abrasive concrete wasted the right front on this left turn intensive course. New pair of fronts coming for the next event, so I'm hoping to climb back up higher on the PAX index at the next event.

Sebring

Slight mistake on that video - the first run was a 49.1, not a 47.1. My last run was my fastest at 48.6.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/19/12 8:51 p.m.

Very impressed. This was the type of stuff I like to see.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/22/12 12:56 a.m.

wonder what relocating the battery to the trunk and mounting the intake tucked over into that part of the engine bay might do for intake temps...

anyway awesome build i always loved the idea of that gen SER...

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/23/12 4:28 p.m.
donalson wrote: wonder what relocating the battery to the trunk and mounting the intake tucked over into that part of the engine bay might do for intake temps...

Funny you should mention that, as I have almost the same idea in mind. To that end, I've purchased a Braille gel battery that can be mounted in any position, including laying on its side. Right now, it's in the normal position, but I plan to relocate the fuse block and purchase a straight intake tube to get some cooler air from behind the headlight. As an added benefit, it's less than half the weight of the stock battery that was in there.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/21/12 1:57 p.m.

The new look

One of the few body flaws the Sentra had when I got it was a small crack in the left tail light, which has grown larger over time.

Besides dumbing down the nose, one of the more disappointing features of the 2004 restyle was the move to red turn signals. I've always preferred yellow turn signals for their greater visibility, so since I had to replace the lens anyway, I've backdated to the '03 lights.

Now my car is really mixed up, with an '06 nose, '03 wheels, and '03 turn signals. How to confuse the purists in one easy lesson!

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
10/21/12 6:50 p.m.

Awesome car. The fact that it is such a good a sleeper makes it even better. Well done!

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/21/12 7:16 p.m.

Thanks! Here's some new video of me autocrossing last weekend in Daytona. I got 6th fastest overall, 3rd amongst fendered cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_5M7Gtdyo&feature=plcp

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/5/13 7:14 a.m.

And here's another new video, this one from Deland. 8th fastest overall, 3rd fastest fendered time, and 9th best PAX time out of 65 entrants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxkWwmRy4o

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/7/13 12:30 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: And here's another new video, this one from Deland. 8th fastest overall, 3rd fastest fendered time, and 9th best PAX time out of 65 entrants.

Love the maniacal laugh. Looks like a huge load of fun. Always liked this generation Sentra. The new ones are too piggy now. Great job both driving and modding.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/8/13 10:58 a.m.

If you notice, there is a short gap in between the scream of triumph and the maniacal laughter where I went silent. That's because the tail kicked sideways in the narrow runoff area and I was too busy gathering it back up to giggle. Once I caught it, I looked up at the clock and saw my time, which started me laughing hysterically.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/8/13 12:37 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: If you notice, there is a short gap in between the scream of triumph and the maniacal laughter where I went silent. That's because the tail kicked sideways in the narrow runoff area and I was too busy gathering it back up to giggle. Once I caught it, I looked up at the clock and saw my time, which started me laughing hysterically.

I was wondering what happened there. Now I have to go back and watch for it again.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/14/13 10:07 a.m.

Suffered my first loss since I bought the car last weekend, but I'm not ashamed. I lost to a former national champion, Ian Stewart, driving a fully SMF prepped Mini with 400 whp. And I lost by .157 seconds. And Ian set FTD for fendered cars. So all things considered, I did pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpG1uiSbVcg

Harvey
Harvey New Reader
3/14/13 11:00 a.m.

Nice power delivery and it sounds like you are doing pretty darned well at the autox with a mildly prepped car.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
3/14/13 10:10 p.m.

So how is ignition timing under boost controlled on a setup like this? Does the Apexi unit do that as well or is it just fuel?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/14/13 10:13 p.m.

The Apexi box does timing as well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
3/15/13 7:55 a.m.

A guy in the next office building has a yellow NISMO SE-R. It it very cool (and looks new) but needs a sleeper turbo kit!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lxv9bFKcg7PkIwRM3goQN7yCilwdQ1MlsWyFLIxDkIFbdmtvPJVOR1qvqmIzCkdA