Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/16/18 9:22 p.m.

I threw a bid out there as a possible engine/transmission donor, since it is a 5 Speed Turbo car. I've also been looking for a possible project that I have no interest in keeping as something the boy-spawn can help me work on and get some sweat equity and personal investment in as his first car.

I was a bit surprised when I would up winning it for $400.

OOOOPS. Looks like I am chasing an electrical problem. Dash to back seat.

But... well under Challenge budget so far. I guess that's something.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
10/16/18 9:26 p.m.

That's a bit of a unicorn! These look pretty good lowered with some decent wide rubber under the already installed fender flares (or keep it stock and play in the dirt). 

Well bought!

Adam

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/16/18 11:06 p.m.

Brave man!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/17/18 2:20 p.m.

I dont know what fees and transportation are going to cost you but so far that looks like a crazy deal. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/17/18 2:26 p.m.

FFR 818 donor? 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/17/18 8:59 p.m.

I think the FFR requires Impreza subframes. Those are easy to find. Hmmmmm...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/17/18 9:00 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I found myself chanting "Don't be a flood car, don't be a flood car" for five minutes earlier today.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/17/18 9:00 p.m.

Plus, I'm remembering Woody's epic fail thread on these.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 9:06 p.m.

That would be awesome lowered on fat rubber. Do these still have the subframe spacers like the 2000ish outback? 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/17/18 9:09 p.m.

No idea. I'll find out.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/20/18 7:08 p.m.

It arrived yesterday. They threw it on my front lawn, unlocked with the title on the front seat while I was at work.

They were supposed to call first. 

The good news is that it doesn't seem to be a flood car. The bad news is that the interior was stripped down to sheet metal and piled in the hatch, so I'm going to have to put it all back together again to get an idea what is wrong unless I can somehow find a way to get it started in the current state.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/20/18 8:51 p.m.

Colour me jealous - I always wanted one of these or a Forester XT.

That dash though!!!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/20/18 10:29 p.m.

I have a Forester XT, as well. If I get this running, I'll tell you which one I like more (hint: it will always be the Forester)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/22/18 9:25 a.m.

Winning bid of $400.  Does that mean more like $650 all in with fees?  Still a great deal!  

Here are details on 2 Subaru wagons I have bought in the past from IAA.  $200 & $300-ish bids that resulted in $400-$500-ish all-in.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/who-needs-a-winter-beater-03-outback-wagon/133110/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QPAwWb5JAlgsC3UiFUKKztT4buIIXtqxmDrPKOfAxMjLEhIKuUDh1xrXANhwQbSV