vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
10/12/20 1:36 p.m.

I'm not even done with my last project and picked up another one. A friend of a friend posted it on facebook, and I couldn't pass up the deal. It's a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T with DSG and some assembly required.

The Bad: It's a 2.0T FSI and all the issues that come with that. The engine jumped time, was pulled apart over a year ago, and the removed parts were misplaced or tossed out.

The Good: It has 103k on the odometer, cost only $700, and came with a bunch of aftermarket mods.

• Unitronic Stage 3 tune with DSG tune
  • Frankenturbo (K04 hybrid)
  • RS4 injectors
  • APR cast downpipe
  • Forged H-beam rods and pistons
  • H&R springs

With all the modifications it made around 350hp. And the bottom end is built to handle 400+ hp. It would probably make a good Challenge car if I don't break the bank to get it running. The biggest expense is probably the HPFP since that's missing and it will need an upgrade kit to increase fueling to support the tune and bigger turbo.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/12/20 1:44 p.m.

Given your screen name, "excellent deal"

10001110101 New Reader
10/12/20 2:02 p.m.

Has it been apart to check whether it was valve only damage or if the pistons are hurt as well? 

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
10/12/20 2:10 p.m.
10001110101 said:

Has it been apart to check whether it was valve only damage or if the pistons are hurt as well? 

I don't know how far they got in the diagnosis. I bought it from the previous owner's father, so he told me as much as he knew about it. But if I tear into it and it's too far gone, I can part it out and make my money back and then some.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
10/12/20 2:42 p.m.

Good deal. Throw a head cam and hpfp follower in and run it until it blows then sell it to the next victim.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/13/20 7:34 a.m.

As a recent dubber myself......I approve of this. I also offer my hand in relieving you of parts you dont need that might benefit the cause so to speak.  Low key sleeper there. Love it!

My GTI build............

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
10/13/20 9:21 a.m.

That is a hell of a score with the built motor and the bigger turbo. 

Who the hell pours all that money into a DSG Jetta and then essentially gives it away because it (likely only) needs valves or a replacement head?

You could likely get away with re-valving the current head and slapping everything together as it probably only bent valves. 

Also, if you need spare parts for this motor (including an intake manifold by the looks of it), let me know I have a 2.0 FSI from a 2008 Passat in pieces in my garage. It provided spare parts for my BPG 2.0 rebuild for my 2006 A4. 

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
10/13/20 2:05 p.m.
FatMongo said:

That is a hell of a score with the built motor and the bigger turbo. 

Who the hell pours all that money into a DSG Jetta and then essentially gives it away because it (likely only) needs valves or a replacement head?

You could likely get away with re-valving the current head and slapping everything together as it probably only bent valves. 

Also, if you need spare parts for this motor (including an intake manifold by the looks of it), let me know I have a 2.0 FSI from a 2008 Passat in pieces in my garage. It provided spare parts for my BPG 2.0 rebuild for my 2006 A4. 

The previous owner is in the service and living in CO. The shop where it was at needed it out of the lot to make room for plowing snow, so he asked a mutual friend to sell it for him.

I found an engine on Car-Part.com from a junkyard a couple hours away. $350 shipped to my door, well not quite my door actually my dad's hydraulic repair shop. It's got 180k and blowby out of the oil cap, which could just be a bad valve cover since the PVC system runs through the plastic valve cover. I figure that's cheaper and easier than trying to track down all the missing parts individually. Plus I'll have a spare head and pistons if things look ugly when I pull the Jetta apart.

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
11/8/20 10:22 a.m.

I know you've all been waiting for the carnage pics. The weather has been nice here for the last few days, so I finally had a chance to pull the head. Looks like it was sitting to long without the spark plugs and intake, so I don't think I can hone out the cylinder walls.

At least I've got this sitting over at my dad's shop...

Also while looking for other parts at the pick and pull I scored a steering wheel with flappy paddles for $16.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QG8Duvv8qyTLHlrPtGIelNYprSGRPZKAXd7UyrdK3d6QOgOB3zsL005tTAwACkSB