4 5 6 7 8
miatame
miatame HalfDork
8/2/12 2:00 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Bumping this so it can get moved to the build thread section and so Jeff might post some updates for $2012.

You are awfully presumptuous!

So how does one move a whole thread?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/2/12 4:46 p.m.

IMPLORE UPON THY ALL POWERFUL MODERATORS!

And if you get impatient hit the report button on the thread to get them to look at it faster.. see, ill help.. hehehe

miatame
miatame HalfDork
8/3/12 8:15 a.m.

lol

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
8/4/12 9:51 a.m.

Off-Roaders (and others I'm guessing) could buy teflon anti-friction pads to pack between the leafs in a pack. Plus the bolt-together clamps allowed more movement than the bent/wrapped-steel leaf clamps.

I didn't see it mentioned soooo.... 2 cents.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/5/12 9:32 a.m.

So in the past year we have spent a lot of time doing this:

Now like most challenge teams we are rushing to put things back together with only a few weeks left.

The manifold and turbo are finally back on after running the Jeep N/A the past year or so.

Last time at the challenge when we built the turbo set up in the parking lot our oil feed line ran over the valve cover and between the intake runners. Our new line is tucked under the intake and out of the way. This makes working on everything else much easier.

Another new addition this year is a 1999+ intake manifold we picked up for free since is had a few striped threads. It has equal length runners and a larger plenum so it might be worth a little extra HP. If not then at least it looks cooler then the old one.

In the past we have had some problems with overheating so we added another stock electric fan and ported the thermostat housing.

electric fans

miatame
miatame HalfDork
10/2/12 5:04 p.m.

Still not sure how this gets put into Build Threads but you can also follow the progress on http://www.facebook.com/JeepXJR

Too many threads to update!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
10/2/12 6:59 p.m.

Every time I visit this thread I end up spending an hour on Craigslist. I think a slammed 2wd Cherokee for a DD would be neat.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
4/18/13 9:43 p.m.

I noticed we never got around to posting the rest of the build pictures so here are the rest leading up to the 2012 Challenge.

Our intercooler is from a 1991 Plymouth Laser. The tubes coming off had some holes due to corrosion but that didn't bother use. Its small but there was no space to fit a front mount intercooler without hacking up the whole front end of the Jeep.

We then welded to some small aluminum tubing off a turbo Saab. This is by no means efficient but it did cut 90 degrees off our intake temps. I wanted to add water injection too but we ran out of time and budget.

Dave cleaned up the rear bumper by welding up a small frame then welding some scrap steel to it. Made it easier to shape plus gave it some strength so it does not loose its shape.

old end link = exhaust hanger

At this point we had about 48 hours to paint the Jeep and load it on the trailer for the Challenge. It felt like we were on some crappy TV restoration show.

We stripped off all the panels we could and and turned Jeff's shed into a paint booth. With all the plastic it looked Iike a kill room from the show from Dexter. After day one we had almost everything in primer and a few things painted red.

Since we were running out of time we built a paint booth inside a paint booth inside a pop up tent so we could spray 2 colors at the same time.

622069_422808194445461_1132182417_o

With less 12 hours left everything was painted but we still had to put everything together. At this point we called it a night and decided to assemble it as we loaded it on the trailer.

Ok, so we left an hour or 2 late but about 90% of it was done.

The paint job was inspired by Mark Donohue's 1971 Trans Am AMC Javelin.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
4/18/13 9:52 p.m.

Oh and the 1991-1995 Megasquirt harness pinout I promised a while back.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/18/13 10:53 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Dave cleaned up the rear bumper by welding up a small frame then welding some scrap steel to it. Made it easier to shape plus gave it some it some strength so it does not loose its shape.

scrap metal fabrication FTW!!!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
8/1/13 10:53 p.m.

Just wanted to share some pictures from our last autocross a few weeks ago. Out of 106 cars the XJ-R had the 10th fast time of the day beating out a bunch of prepped Miata's, M3's, a 400WHP 07 Lotus Exige S, Porsche 997 GT3 RS, plus a bunch of other stuff.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
8/2/13 7:26 a.m.

I love this thing so much!

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
8/2/13 8:01 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I love this thing so much!

me too!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/2/13 10:37 a.m.

damn........

im off to the craigslist app on my phone now....

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/2/13 12:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: damn........ im off to the craigslist app on my phone now....

There is a 6cyl. 5 speed 2wd sitting on the wholesale lot of a dealership I sell at.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/2/13 12:31 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I knew you guys beat up on some expensive hardware at the last AutoX, but a Porsche GT3 RS???

Wowzers.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
8/2/13 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Is it a 2 door?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/2/13 2:00 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: In reply to PseudoSport: I knew you guys beat up on some expensive hardware at the last AutoX, but a Porsche GT3 RS??? Wowzers.

You guys kick butt. This is one of my favorite builds!

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
8/2/13 5:42 p.m.

freaking love this build. keep us updated!!!!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/2/13 5:52 p.m.

If only my Javelin can be half as cool as you Jeep one day!

LOVE it!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/2/13 6:59 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: In reply to Junkyard_Dog: Is it a 2 door?

No.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
8/2/13 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Too bad, I’m half ass looking for a rust free 2WD 2 Door 4.0L manual for a Lemons.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/30/13 1:30 p.m.

During the last autocross we noticed we were down on power and there was an exhaust leak. This past weekend we found out why.

The turbo and downpipe were never braced so the weight of the exhaust tried ripping the turbo off the manifold. Hopefully we’ll have this patched up soon.

This year we decided to ditch the small engine bay mounted intercooler and go with a front mount. Yes, it blocks about 77% of the radiator but we are very limited on space. It's also offset to one side to clear the steering box.

Charge pipe has to go over the valve cover but it clears the hood.

Grill fits with no modification.

We also need to enlarge the openings so the silicone bends fit better.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/30/13 2:17 p.m.

Moar updates! GRM <3 this Jeep!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/30/13 2:33 p.m.

Ditch the Grille. Fill any gaps above/below/beside the rad/IC eith scrap sheetmetal. Paint the rad/IC black. Vent the hood near the windshield. Win

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Y5VY8D0uALXPQwGfrBCP6dspXjCwUaB7kRLFmHOfD4cTkTpjuIDqpI52qlBN7eK