5 6 7 8 9
ransom
ransom HalfDork
9/22/11 9:04 a.m.

Wow. A lot. That is absolutely stunning.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
9/22/11 9:05 a.m.

Oh, I forgot to mention. We did a clutch dump test, tires let go before anything else did, so that's a good sign. Clutch and axles didn't break first!

Bryce

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/22/11 9:09 a.m.
Nashco wrote: Oh, I forgot to mention. We did a clutch dump test, tires let go before anything else did, so that's a good sign. Clutch and axles didn't break first! Bryce

Awesome. Now post some damn pictures!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
9/22/11 9:12 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Awesome. Now post some damn pictures!

Look at the end of the last page.

nocones
nocones HalfDork
9/22/11 9:14 a.m.

Awesome work guys. Good luck at the Challenge

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/22/11 9:28 a.m.

It looks incredible. You'd NEVER know how little you have into it based on what i've seen thusfar. The craftsmanship is amazing, and the thoughts and unique approaches are inspiring. I know it sounds smarmy and canoe-ish, but damn, that's gorgeous.

kreb
kreb Dork
9/22/11 9:38 a.m.

Holy crap! What a q-ship! My only concern is the narrowness of the track. But that's commendable to the nth power.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
9/22/11 9:39 a.m.

Wow, that is a great looking build! If this one works it'll be a blast to drive and watch. The zero testing is going to be the biggest challenge. You'll at least be the judges/crowd favorite. This will be interesting.....

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/22/11 9:44 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Awesome. Now post some damn pictures!
Look at the end of the last page.

DOH!

Nice work fellas.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
9/22/11 9:55 a.m.

Wow...just wow.

Wish I could see this in person.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
9/22/11 10:04 a.m.

If some of you guys don't post video or have live streaming of the Challenge this year I'm going to make it a point to walk around and knock the beers out of your hands in $2012.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
9/22/11 10:19 a.m.

We'll have updates here and/or on the event page.

I can't wait to see this one. Looking good, Bryce!

blizazer
blizazer Reader
9/22/11 10:46 a.m.

wow

DirtE30
DirtE30 Reader
9/22/11 11:03 a.m.
miatame wrote: If some of you guys don't post video or have live streaming of the Challenge this year I'm going to make it a point to walk around and knock the beers out of your hands in $2012.

Ill try my best to set up a live stream feed of the event.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/22/11 11:15 a.m.
Joshua wrote: That just blew my mind, may I ask HOW you did all that? Where did you get all of the expertise to know how to complete it? This is AMAZING.

I read a lot on the internet.

No, seriously though...practice. You'd be shocked at what a few thousand hours of practice building stuff builds does for you. I still have my first car...the concepts and fabrication on that thing are light years behind the N600. I'm sure Aaron would say the same about his early project cars and this one. You constantly learn while building stuff that's far out; that's why I love building such weird stuff, I enjoy learning new tricks. This car is the first time I've done anything with bodywork, custom turbo, e85, Honda swaps, shortening axles, welding cast steel, using a tubing bender, using a tubing roller, using a dimple die, welding stainless steel, etc. I'm no expert, I just learn as I go...kind of like making my Fiero hybrid, I learned a hell of a lot in order to complete the project. For that matter, I still learn after I "complete" it because stuff breaks and you figure out how you could have done it better, then try again. I'll likely break several things on the N600 before I get it really dialed in, it's not like anything is perfect the first time. Even NASA screws up, so you can't really be afraid of failure!

Go out to the garage and start building whatever you dream up, you'll learn too. You don't have to be an expert to start a project...I bet you'd be suprised at how proficient you get by the end of the project. The reason I try to document my builds is to show folks that you can do it too. It's not like I was an expert at mid-engine N600s when I started this car. If you've got a dream car you want to make some day...MAKE IT!

/soapbox

Bryce

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
9/22/11 11:22 a.m.

Post of the Year Bryce!

Raze
Raze Dork
9/22/11 11:45 a.m.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/22/11 11:58 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
Joshua wrote: That just blew my mind, may I ask HOW you did all that? Where did you get all of the expertise to know how to complete it? This is AMAZING.
I read a lot on the internet. No, seriously though...practice. You'd be shocked at what a few thousand hours of practice building stuff builds does for you. I still have my first car...the concepts and fabrication on that thing are light years behind the N600. I'm sure Aaron would say the same about his early project cars and this one. You constantly learn while building stuff that's far out; that's why I love building such weird stuff, I enjoy learning new tricks. This car is the first time I've done anything with bodywork, custom turbo, e85, Honda swaps, shortening axles, welding cast steel, using a tubing bender, using a tubing roller, using a dimple die, welding stainless steel, etc. I'm no expert, I just learn as I go...kind of like making my Fiero hybrid, I learned a hell of a lot in order to complete the project. For that matter, I still learn after I "complete" it because stuff breaks and you figure out how you could have done it better, then try again. I'll likely break several things on the N600 before I get it really dialed in, it's not like anything is perfect the first time. Even NASA screws up, so you can't really be afraid of failure! Go out to the garage and start building whatever you dream up, you'll learn too. You don't have to be an expert to start a project...I bet you'd be suprised at how proficient you get by the end of the project. The reason I try to document my builds is to show folks that you can do it too. It's not like I was an expert at mid-engine N600s when I started this car. If you've got a dream car you want to make some day...MAKE IT! /soapbox Bryce

+1

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/22/11 12:01 p.m.

I can't wait to see this car at the challenge.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/22/11 12:46 p.m.

The concours judges may subtract one point for the bent fins on the radiator but they better give you +1000 points for the rest of the build. It looks fantastic!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/22/11 1:15 p.m.

Completely floored. The paint looks incredible!!! May I be so bold as to suggest SOME sort of brightly colored graphics? Even a bright red offset-stripe ala:

Cars with a little color tend to get on the cover of the magazine more often. Just my $.02. Really looks great guys.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/22/11 1:19 p.m.
Nashco wrote:

This is my new computer background.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/22/11 2:01 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Cars with a little color tend to get on the cover of the magazine more often. Just my $.02. Really looks great guys.

I expect this car is going to get some magazine coverage regardless. I'd leave it plain white, anything else would ruin the sleeper vibe.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/22/11 2:10 p.m.

Well, wtf would I know?

Grudge
Grudge New Reader
9/22/11 2:14 p.m.
Joshua wrote: That just blew my mind, may I ask HOW you did all that? Where did you get all of the expertise to know how to complete it? This is AMAZING.

I know Bryce and I appreciate all the positive comments, I think it finally hit us yesterday how nice this car turned out (nicer than we thought it would).

For me, working with metal and cars is a hobby, so the foundation for this project was made a while back. As everyone on here knows, you learn something new every day, so this project built upon the basics Bryce and I already had and we both learned allot.

I remember early on my wife coming out to the garage after we cut the floor and front-end out. You could see in her eyes she thought we killed the car. I think it was a mix of faith and confidence to think she was wrong.

In the end it looks like we knew what we were doing, but the scary reality is that it was lots of time, hard work, failure, rework, anger, etc.

  • Aaron
5 6 7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
lDJ1qWj0KJENf345P5yXMIPOeUh7NMGb187i4fVLZFOcOOqVhjJQDirTQo5iPljd