1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/21 9:06 a.m.

I officially have an illness 

a huge thanks to John Welsh for taking time out of his weekend to check this out for me. Also curse you because I couldn't stop hearing that tire! 

so, found my unicorn. 2013 Rio5 SX manual. 88k miles. Previous owner had a medical issue and can no longer drive. It had been sitting a while for sure. Has all the goodies and all the fun. 10 hours of driving to get it yesterday up near Cleveland. Took the puppy along. Averaged 36.3mpg all the way home so that's already a plus over the tib. 

More to come later

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/14/21 10:08 a.m.

What all mod-cons are in this car?  What are your plans for it? 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/14/21 10:23 a.m.

Watching

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/21 10:44 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What all mod-cons are in this car?  What are your plans for it? 

Plans are suspension, wheels/tires, intake, axle back and probably a tune. It'll be the daily and autox/track rat. I do t understand mod-cons though. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/14/21 10:58 a.m.

I can't wait for Bob and spacecadet to have an epic battle of crappy throwaway commuters on track. This is going to be rad. Slow, but rad. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/21 4:31 p.m.

Changed oil in both cars 

new car really needs tires. They're dry rotted and cracked. It's a little crustier than her blue car but not bad. A wire brush and some rustoleum can't fix. Struts and shocks are all dry. Oil was definitely old. 

still trying to figure out what to call this one. It's the only non-blue car in the fleet. It's like a red headed stepchild but that takes too long to type. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/14/21 7:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I can't wait for Bob and spacecadet to have an epic battle of crappy throwaway commuters on track. This is going to be rad. Slow, but rad. 

Bob 6 months ago: you're nuts going on track in the Fit in Sundae Cup.. you have the Civic to fix and it's way faster!

Pete: Begins tracking Fit, sells civic, has the bestest times and baptizes Bob to the world of Gridlife buddy hangs at NOLA

Bob: this series lacks Korean E36 M3boxes and I'm going to change that..

and this is the story of how two guys who started in 2019 with quick $2k challenge build cars that were quick on track.. decided that was a terrible idea and going slower in some foreign made E36 M3boxes was the key to Trackday happiness..

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/14/21 7:46 p.m.

mod-cons = modern conveniences.  British term (and no I'm not British).

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/14/21 9:16 p.m.

Bob's new theme-song:

I can't wait to see it out on track!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/21 4:04 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

mod-cons = modern conveniences.  British term (and no I'm not British).

Ah.... got ya. So cruise, nav, Bluetooth, keyless, home link, auto dimming rear mirror, and comfortable seats. It's far from a penalty box. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/21 4:05 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Well, you will be going slower. I may be going the same speed. Lol. But every series needs more Korean E36 M3boxes. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/15/21 6:50 a.m.

Name for red headed step child: Ginger

Since Korean with all the lux touches: Gangnam Style or just Psy. Also from a decade ago.  

Or, just generally name it: K-pop.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/15/21 9:02 a.m.

Bob, these tires might be right for you.   The tire rack says your stock size is 205-45-17 and tire calculators say that these 225-40-17s are .2 of an inch shorter and .8 of an inch wider.  At 60 mph your speedo would only read 1/2 mph too slow (generally the same.)

Based on the seller's profile, these might be only 2.5 hrs from your house.  

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/15/21 9:19 a.m.

That looks like it has potential in the world of econo E36 M3 boxes with 138hp and around 2500 lb curb weight. As I read more on the Sundae Cup it looks like a more realistic path forward for me versus wheel to wheel in B-Spec so I will throw my hat in the ring with the Ford Fiesta for any future Mid-west track days with a gathering of econo E36 M3 boxes.

Let the Fiesta begin...| Builds and Project Cars forum | (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/15/21 9:28 a.m.

Following.  I'm excited to see this out on track this summer!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/15/21 9:44 a.m.

I gave a little more thought to the tires I listed above.  You'd need a second set of wheels.  One thing that surprised me about the Rio SX is the stock wheel has very little sidewall.  Great for sport but not as good for commuting comfort or likelihood to bend an alloy.  

I see that the lesser Rios come with 15" tires but searching rock auto also shows me that the Rio SX uses a different, larger front brake rotor.  So, 15" or 17" offered from factory.  This makes me wonder if a 16" wheel will fit over the SX brakes.  If yes, then I propose this plan.  

• Take the 17" street tires and wheels from your wife's blue car and put them on your red car. 
  • Use the red car's wheels as "track wheels" mounting on these used tires posted above. 
  • Buy the wife new (or used) 16" wheels and all new tires that result in a more comfortable commute.  

I figure you're buying a set of wheels and a set of street tires anyway, this seems to be a way to do that and achieve a couple of goals.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/21 10:27 a.m.

1)  drop to 15x9 (10?)s and make them work.  Edit:  I guess you need 8" RT660 for sundae cup.  17x8 might work also.  Tires are only $20 more each. 

2) does the clutch grab right off the floor?  Mine does in the 2.0 Soul I just acquired.  I have driven a few 1.6s that are the same way.  I'm not sure if its a bleeding issue or not.  It is nothing like the clutch in my Veloster.  (I too may have an illness).  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/21 2:04 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

This clutch is vague but somewhere in the middle-ish. Bottom half of the middle if I was judging. It's sooooooo hard to feel and not being able to even hear the engine makes it more difficult. 

@John tire rack lists 15's for the SX specifically. I know they tend to physically fit them. Keep

in mind the "big brakes" are only 10.25". 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/21 3:14 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

It's sooooooo hard to feel and not being able to even hear the engine makes it more difficult. 

Based on my limited experience with Souls, Yes.  This. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/15/21 9:39 p.m.

Somewhere in South Korea there's a team of NVH engineers trying to figure out what they'll say when Marketing asks why they worked so hard to make their engines inaudible, since clearly the crazy Americans want to hear them.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
3/16/21 6:36 a.m.

More Hyundai/Kia goodness is always needed. Those Gamma motors are quite stout.

Is the transmission the same as the Veloster? If so, i think they make an LSD for these things.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/21 6:42 a.m.

This is not helping my want for a Korean hatchback  

Mind you,  i have a perfectly good daily thats paid for....

How are the headlights?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/16/21 7:27 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Gearing is different because the v uses taller tires. Theoretically swapping in a v trans lowers the final drive x% (sleepy Buffalo has the specs somewhere in a spreadsheet). Adding an lsd would be relatively easy then. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/16/21 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Projector lows and fogs. They have a good pattern and reach out fairly well on the wife's car. The yellow doesn't reach as far imo. I'm thinking of swapping the lows and fogs for leds for more. No are is always better. 

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
3/16/21 3:32 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this getting at leas slightly out of hand.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mXtKHewCmeUI9cTwiaTgRYU9eaCkgJcJbUWtbE8oHec6uFYvGGTyAXzXChStTQW4