BarryNorman Reader
3/16/21 7:16 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

As for a name:

Scot, because Irish seems obvious.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/17/21 5:37 a.m.

So my naming scheme is a bit odd. It all started with my 2002 elantra when I started autox'ing it and it plowed like a pig. It was also overweight not particularly fast so it became Porky. The swift was the Swiffer because that just made sense. The vette never earned one because it was a dick. The forte was the SeX because it was awesome and an SX trim level. Tubey got its name from all the tubes on the intake, headers etc. 

ive found myself referring to it as the stepchild lately. But we will see

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/18/21 1:56 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

Gearing is different because the v uses taller tires. Theoretically swapping in a v trans lowers the final drive x% (sleepy Buffalo has the specs somewhere in a spreadsheet). Adding an lsd would be relatively easy then. 

*edit: that info is off of "automobile catalog", not a Hyundai/Kia corporate site.

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/18/21 1:57 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

2) does the clutch grab right off the floorMine does in the 2.0 Soul I just acquired.  I have driven a few 1.6s that are the same way.  I'm not sure if its a bleeding issue or not.  It is nothing like the clutch in my Veloster.  (I too may have an illness).  

Wait, what!?  How'd I miss that?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/18/21 6:15 a.m.

Sleepyhead has a spreadsheet of crappy Korean gear ratios and Bob is the one with the problem? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/21 6:22 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Looking at that spread sheet now I'm really glad I didn't go with the accent. As it sits, 3rd gear is 95mph as it hits the rev limiter (tested on a non-disclosed off road testing site of course). the smaller 205/50 tire will help with that. 

EDIT: I also already ordered first round of parts. plugs, seafoam, intake and cabin filters. Rotors and pads soon.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
3/18/21 7:13 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

Gearing is different because the v uses taller tires. Theoretically swapping in a v trans lowers the final drive x% (sleepy Buffalo has the specs somewhere in a spreadsheet). Adding an lsd would be relatively easy then. 

*edit: that info is off of "automobile catalog", not a Hyundai/Kia corporate site.

So you could go from a 3.83 final drive to a 4.46 final drive? Woof.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/21 7:26 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

plus another 4.9% in smaller tires.

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/18/21 8:31 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Sleepyhead has a spreadsheet of crappy Korean gear ratios and Bob is the one with the problem? 

That spreadsheet has much more than Korean car specifications.  Although, yes, I think the HyunKia 6spd is the only ratios in it currently.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
3/18/21 9:06 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

More Hyundai/Kia goodness is always needed. Those Gamma motors are quite stout.

Is the transmission the same as the Veloster? If so, i think they make an LSD for these things.

Sundae cup doesnt allow LSDs

name suggestion : Gingervitus

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

CORRECT BUT CTR DOES.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/20/21 9:20 a.m.

She's all legal now!  No notary needed in Indiana. They did a physical VIN check at the bmv, took my $456.13 for sales tax and a year and 4 months registration. Paper plate on until the new one comes in a couple weeks. 

Thursday I ordered maintenance parts. Plugs, cabin filter, oil filters, intake system for a veloster.... brakes and wheels/tires are next. The tires are pretty loud. Really really loud. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/20/21 5:14 p.m.

Swapped seats with the wife's Rio so she doesn't have a cigarette burn. Also got the title and registration done this morning. Now it's all legal. Changed the cabin filter as well. Little here, little there. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/20/21 5:39 p.m.

95 mph in 3rd gear in your Rio?  With another 3 gears to go in the gearbox?  Someone was rather optimistic on the day they were selecting ratios...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/21/21 8:30 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Agreed. A 205/50/50 should bring that down to about 88. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/21 11:01 a.m.

Not much to update. Car is getting stronger the more I drove it. I have a feeling that has a little to do with it sitting for so long. Fresh oil and me bearing the p..... driving it hard has probably loosened sone things up. Plugs and intake, rotors are all on their way. 

biggest hold up is wheels/tires. Finding a set of 15x7 4x100 and tires in 205/50 for under a grand that don't suck is proving more difficult than I wanted 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/23/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Are you looking for new wheels, or used?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/21 12:19 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Yes. I'd take used or new. There's a lot of 16 and 17's out there cheap, but the 15's are going for damn near new prices.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/23/21 12:39 p.m.

Marketplace - Set of Momo wheels 4x100 for a Mazda Miata | Facebook........$750 with Bridgestone RE071R

Seller's name is Tony Fornetti, and I know that name from someplace, possibly here.

No photo description available.

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/23/21 1:03 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Yes. I'd take used or new. There's a lot of 16 and 16's out there cheap, but the 15's are going for damn near new prices.

I fixed your post.  16 and 16's hurt my eyes.

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/23/21 1:04 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Marketplace - Set of Momo wheels 4x100 for a Mazda Miata | Facebook........$750 with Bridgestone RE071R

Seller's name is Tony Fornetti, and I know that name from someplace, possibly here.

I'm pretty sure the miata centerbore is too skinny for the Rio

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/23/21 1:08 p.m.

Tire Rack

Kosei K1 Racing 15x7 (13.15 lbs) plus Falken RT615K 205 50 15 

Picked up in South Bend $1003.50

Add $50 to substitute Falken RT660

10001110101 New Reader
3/23/21 1:13 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I'm pretty sure the miata centerbore is too skinny for the Rio

Center bore actually looks bang on at 54.1mm. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/23/21 1:28 p.m.

My son ran Miata rims on his 2008 Rio, so I assumed Kia hadn't changed the bore diameter. And those Momos aren't  hubcentric from the rear view picture. They'll probably need centering rings, if they're not included in the purchase price already.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/21 2:27 p.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

I know.... the finance manager is balking at that price.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mVSfxZAwwkq7pNKARfamujaqTwdV8yQzuioVNbzD3u2b6mqn70CN9vmEdW3tLpo