bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/28/22 8:14 a.m.

Finally downloaded my photos from NVUS from the SCCA time trials a Gingerman. Heres a few highlights:

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
9/30/22 8:33 a.m.

The taxi sign is awesome. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/4/22 7:55 a.m.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/4/22 8:59 a.m.

What kind of laptimes does it do around gingerman?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/22 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

New PB is a 1:56.00 on pretty beat 615's. That's 4 seconds off the Subdae cup record there. 2 seconds are the tires. 615's there are a 2 second slower tire than the 660's. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/9/22 9:50 a.m.

Yesterday went to my first autox since.... 2020? There was more rust than the original axles in the Rio. Smaller event (70 cars) so we had 4 runs in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. Established myself in 4th on first runs and stayed there all day. Not unhappy, the Rio isn't classed well in STS and Jason Franks national championship CRX was there along with an 86 civic si and 2 miatae. I had 400lbs in the heaviest car in class and in 205 tires that were pretty beat. Two of my competitors were in a052's. 

made a lot is rookie mistakes mostly from not looking far enough ahead.  Car was literally the best autox car I've had to date in regards to handling. Gearing is way wrong and I was using 3rd gear in the front half of the course in the afternoon. At the break I was 1.2 seconds behind 3rd, 1.8 behind third. Finished the weekend .6 off third and 1 full second behind 2nd. 

Good time and the car was fine. Definitely rusty. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/22 8:45 a.m.

Finally remembered to check the oil. Shes been a bit... .greedy eating oil when pushed into upper RPM's. Since we spent every run on the limiter for seconds at a time, I was expecting loss. I was pleasantly surprised. The 0W40 Euro spec M1 seems to have slowed that down tremendously. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/11/22 8:57 a.m.

I keep checking back here hoping to see a 1.6T swap but it hasnt happened.  Dammit.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

If some things keep on the path they are I might and say screw it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/22 8:54 a.m.

Rode the whip to the challenge and back. Change engine oil light came on just north of Chattanooga after a fuel stop. That was the same stop I added a half quart. 

Gumby didn't seem to mind the little booger even if the suspension wasn't as plush as he's used to. Car did great but I can say my butt may be a bit tired of sitting in the seat. At least with OL its spread over 7 days. We did 2300 miles in 3.

EDIT: apparently this part got lost in the inner workings of the interwebs... with the 5w30 I had been using that same driving would have used 1-2 quarts instead of hte half quart the 0W40 euro spec oil consumed.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/25/22 9:08 a.m.

Oil light coming on after a top up doesn't sound great. Saw the car Sunday morning and it looks great in person. I wish this combo was still available from Kia. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/22 9:21 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Not oil light. Oil CHANGE reminder. Its set at 3k miles currently.But yeah, I wish it wasn't as rare. It's a seriously good car at being a non-soul sucking daily.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/22 8:30 a.m.

My google-fu is weak today. I'm hearin a decel engine flutter in higher rpms that I *think* is the VIS changing runner lengths but no sure. It's happening in the 4700-5000rpm range on decel. Where my google-fu lacks is finding when those butterflies move, at what rpm. I am pretty certain they do it more than once but not sure. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/3/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

The Internet said:

MEDIUM SPEED - CLOSED

LOW/HIGH SPEED - OPEN

Ooo... that is frustrating.  Does it only change intake length under load?  If not, you could figure out the RPMs by sticking your head under the hood and having someone play with the pedal while watching the tach?

If it requires a load, you could plumb a vacuum line in series with the correct side of the modulator valve and just see when the vacuum changes to determine RPM?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/22 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

if it is variable depending on all the other things (DI fuel timing, cam phasing, throttle position, load etc) that would make sense in why it appears I hear it at different rpms. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/3/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Fully makes sense.  What I'm saying is you could confirm it is the valve opening/fluttering with the gauge.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/22 9:50 a.m.

I know it is only under load. free-rev does not produce the effect. the valve is electronically actuacted and not vacuum so vacuum gauge won't help.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/3/22 10:48 a.m.

Ok, I see the issue.  Apparently the next gen Rios use an electronically controlled vacuum solenoid to control the variable intake.  My bad.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/22 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

No biggie. I was afraid this would be the case in their effort to chase power, economy and emissions. The ECU is minutely controlling so much more than older cars. I can't even shift fast and get all the power. The ECU limits throttle input coming off the clutch and won't let the throttle open fully (88% btw is wot) until the clutch pedal is fully retracted. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/13/22 5:42 p.m.

Winter hit Saturday here with 3" of snow and the coming week is going to be cold now. So the suspension came out, best tires I have are on and changed the oil and wipers. 

4x4 mode engaged. 

pulled the door cards while I was at it. Passenger side came off fine. Drivers side was going well until this:

yeah.... clear coat came off on 2/3 of it. Good thing i work at a body shop. 

also got the new Gumby built collars to install the camber plates as caster plates next spring. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/22 8:58 p.m.

Turkey day we ran Rio down to Florence (y'all) KY. Ran moderate speeds but couldn't get over 34mpg. This is down about 5mpg compared to earlier this fall. Power up the little hills was not there. Due to oil consumption issues I've had I finally ran a compression test. 

lowest was #1 at 105, the other three at 115-120psi on the gauge. Checking the wife's car as a known good unit was 115-120. Rechecked 1 after the other three and it came back at 120. 

plugs were a little crusty but as much oil as it's used the last few months I'm not shocked. 

since the flex pipe has been leaking and the bolts from the mani-cat to the flex are just little blocks of rust, and the fact it's burned about 6-7 quarts of oil since June I just said screw it and ordered a new cat and o2 sensors. Doesn't fix the oil consumption butnit may fix the power issue and will at least fix the exhaust leak. 

Opti
Opti Dork
11/27/22 10:20 p.m.

Partial clutch slippage? Had lower fuel economy, and down on power, but no real drivabilty problems. Datalog found like 11% clutch slippage. Put a clutch in it and everything was great.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

No clutch slip. locks up solid. 

Opti
Opti Dork
11/28/22 11:17 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Got it. I hope the cat takes care of it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could get it to stop sucking oil. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n4yQO3Okq9C9DU4fynLIpX016OodT8vNDVv8bzyDl53pzoefk7dzTIbBVjNk1hlw