1 2 3 4
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/25/15 1:23 p.m.

So, if this problem is pistons and/or rings, why is it not burning oil with those two lines off? Shouldn't it be pouring blue smoke? I haven't seen a whiff of blue.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/25/15 1:30 p.m.

I have a friend with a corolla with bad compression rings. Car runs fine. Doesn't smoke. Makes way more crank case pressure than it can handle. All of the seals are leaking and his catch can fills with oil. I'd check compression, both static and leakdown, stat.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 7:31 a.m.

After yesterday, the concept of pistons and/or rings being the culprit is much more real.

I arrive at buddy's house, about 25 miles from my house, at around 10 PM. I was driven there by bud #2 in his Silverado. Bud #1 has set up this sweet catch can, where he's brought both the valve cover and the PCV lines into the lid of an empty quart container of oil. He also has a third line running from that container to another one nearby which is full of steel wool, to avoid venting fumes. I was really impressed with the Lemonesque engineering.

His wife, who was totally happy with it when I dropped it off the previous night, saw it during the day and agreed that it wasn't a pleasant sight and was happy that I only left it there for 24 hours. The crankcase had about 4 quarts of oil in it. I shook hands with bud #1, told bud #2 that I'd follow him to avoid pouring oil all over his windshield, started up the mighty A20 and started off.

...And made it about five miles. The oil light flickered and I pulled off. Bud #1 had given me a container half full of Lucas engine-in-a-can from a helpful neighbor who noticed his new driveway decoration. I -never- use this stuff. Ever. I figured, "hey, this is oil-ish, and was free", so in it went along with a quart of gunk from the catch can. At this point, it was on the highway, so I had to wind it out to get going back in traffic.

...And it made it about three miles. I put another quart of new and a quart from the catch can and we pulled into a gas station, where I bought three quarts of straight weight 30. We decided to stay at 50 mph.

...And it made it about three miles. We decided to tow it. I didn't want to purchase another few gallons of oil just to make it home. I brought my awesome tow rope that's done some flat towing (behind the Tunatruck, that's right!) so we hooked up the little Honda behind the Silverado and began the "my phone batteries, you don't know where I live, use the GPS, you've never flat towed before? Start slow, stop slower, keep the line taught" jazz. Apart from a few nailbiters (battery died so I used his truck to pull start the Honda for a few miles at a time, unmarked police car watching the road, obviously not very well, making a left hand turn in front of a fast driving car) it went fine. It's home.

Barely.

Untitled

Check out the righteous catch can setup!!

And the underside of the hood, just to give you an idea..

So. That was... "successful".

What have I done?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/26/15 7:45 a.m.

More thoughts:

Parts for this thing are very cheap

Windshield wipers cannot cope with this level of oil

The previous owner owned this thing from 75k miles or so, and did oil changes every 3k

I have a receipt for a fuel pump, filter, tank and relay from last year ($600!!)

I have a receipt for a Advanced Auto warranty water pump replacement from last year October

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/26/15 7:51 a.m.

Dear God that is a lot of oil.

Looks like more than pistons could spit. Could it be massive oil leaks as well as too much crankcase pressure?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 7:53 a.m.

It's not really leaking on the ground, other than the dripping from the oil it's pouring out of the vent tubes.

Too much pressure is an interesting idea. I wonder if I should buy/borrow a stand alone gage.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 8:12 a.m.

Oh, budget update:

R: $665 (more oil, and a soft drink for me for the ride)

C: $600

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
3/26/15 9:58 a.m.

Engine swap.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 10:03 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Engine swap.

I just PMed you to ask you stuff.

Re: engine swap. You show me how it can be done for around $200 and I'm in.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/26/15 11:04 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Windshield wipers cannot cope with this level of oil

That's funny right there.

Pull the head to see what you can see. Unless you're replacing the whole motor, It's coming off anyway.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 12:47 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

First order of business is logistics.

I have the four kids, and they sometimes like to play with bikes in the driveway. No way in the world is Tunawife moving this pile all around, especially without plates and such. I think it has to live in the garage and come in and out when I work on Tunatruck. Ick. The very thought makes me shudder.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/26/15 12:54 p.m.

You bought it from liberty/easily area didnt you?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/26/15 12:56 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Oh, and I volunteer to be on your challenge team if you want the help. Im gonna get there one way or another.

um, can I volunteer to join/help out?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 1:15 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: You bought it from liberty/easily area didnt you?

I think 75% of E36 M3ty things on the Greenville craigslist come from Easley. This is no exception.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/15 1:16 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Oh, and I volunteer to be on your challenge team if you want the help. Im gonna get there one way or another.
um, can I volunteer to join/help out?

You both are absolutely welcome. Those coilovers sound like a great idea now.

Somebody needs to source a incredi-cheap header and an adjustable cam gear. I am aiming sub $1000.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/26/15 8:10 p.m.

Do you intend to drive it down or tow it? (with tunatruck?) EDIT: ftw quote: $1008 Class: Highest-placing car built for $1008 or less.

:P

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/26/15 8:21 p.m.

Hmmm....

Chicken of the sea livery?

And done deal on coilovers.

Ive had great success with the cheapest Chinese headers available on eBay.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/27/15 6:44 a.m.

i have amazon prime if you want it no shipping by monday... lol. (same price.) and we'll be able to return it if it no worky.

(esp if we'd like to try a bseries 80 dollar header...)

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/27/15 7:09 a.m.

OK, so definitely $1008 and under.

Remember this is going to be my primary DD car, so any livery has to be temporary and removable.

I also have Amazon Prime! I think I have decided against a header though. I have the apparently desirable 4-2-1 stock setup which looks very good. Unless someone can quote power gains... And even then it would have to be awfully cheap considering the engine still needs to be rebuilt. I'll make most of the exhaust removable for the Challenge, and I have a somewhat used 2.5" turbo muffler from Tunatruck that I could not sell at a garage sale for $5 (so that's FMV).

I'll drive it down unless you want to pull it. Tunatruck won't be ready based on finances alone.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/27/15 7:33 a.m.

I need to discuss with Mrs. "hopefully not Mad" Ratel.

but I'd be interested in hauling us down if she's ok with me being gone for the weekend. Luckily it's two weeks PAST my 5 year anniversary. Lol.

I found some threads talking about buying a junkyard motor for 200-250 in 2006. You sure we could not put a honda b series in there for cheapo neato? (i.e. around the cost of a rebuild?) get you a few dozen more ponies...

I'm out of town this weekend but I'll be available next weekend to help out. (or any time after that but mothersday.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/27/15 7:40 a.m.

Ill check with the wife, but next weekend is available on my calendar as well.

Single dad all weekend this one.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
3/27/15 7:52 a.m.

I had the coupe version of that car, same color, same engine, back in the late 90s. It always drove a lot more sporty and nimbly than it should have. i remember it being surprisingly balanced. Had a lot of fun in it until I traded it it in on a 1970 Impala. Supposedly the guy who bought it totaled it running from the cops in Chattanooga before he made the first payment. I always felt bad that it got done in, but I felt good that he was faster than the cops!

I never had the oil issue though, so no help there.

If it goes to challenge, you need an Exxon Valdez livery.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/27/15 8:59 a.m.

Wonder if mazduce would send an I love fracking sticker if tuna does that livery...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/27/15 9:06 a.m.

I feel like a B-series swap wouldn't be hard in this thing, and i know at least around here, i can get B20s from CRVs fairly often for under $300. A B20z in that thing would rip pretty good.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/27/15 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Here is the best I can glean from 3geez.com. That place is light on the tech, and heavy on the "57 threads asking where to find things but nobody ever actually having answers".

From what I read:

USDM B18 or B20B doesn't fit without custom mounts, shift linkage and halfshafts. It's also only worth about 20 horsepower. In my opinion, that's instant no-deal.

I can't find anything specifically about the B20Z, but I really don't want to go down a rabbit hole of custom wiring, axles, and such just for 27 hp. I am being a wimp a bit, but we have $400 left in the budget and there's nothing to sell off.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aONNQ043iqbXMTS4b7YeOCjLhegvZmbpWumTu75Qb7uJe5BBhbX7vvZluuA91fUy