NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/21/17 5:45 a.m.
tuna55 said: That is not a euphemism.

It is now!

All kidding aside, I assume everything went well in the van and you successfully pumped out all the frothy fluid and ended up with a firm pedal. Between that and the work on the Honda, good garage nigh overall. Now go play with the truck, you know, the vehicle with the "Bed" on the back!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/21/17 7:12 a.m.

Working on it.

I updated the truck thread a few times over the past few weeks with bumpsteer stuff. It had 30 degrees of steering angle added through the suspension travel. WOW. I have some solutions, none are elegant, but one is absolutely necessary. I found out only because I had to move. You see, I hastily aligned the front end just so we could push it around last year. I did this with the truck on jackstands. When it was on the ground, I could not push it. I tried a few times before I figured out what was happening. My poor FIL had to push the beast with a tow-truck guy who didn't care at all with like 40 degrees of toe out.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/22/17 12:49 a.m.

Wait. 30 degrees of bump steer?! How is that even possible?

IIRC they do have some notable bump steer, but something serious wrong has to be going on to introduce that much. Are you sure it has the correct drag link? And it's not upside down or backward?

(Feel free to pretend I'm not OT and quote and answer in the correct thread.)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 7:42 a.m.
Crackers wrote: Wait. 30 degrees of bump steer?! How is that even possible? IIRC they do have some notable bump steer, but something serious wrong has to be going on to introduce that much. Are you sure it has the correct drag link? And it's not upside down or backward? (Feel free to pretend I'm not OT and quote and answer in the correct thread.)

GM set it up badly, so that the tie rid probably should have been mounted beneath the spindle, instead of above.

Then I added a taller lower balljoint in search of improved camber gain, and moved the lower control arm forward in search of improved caster.

Both of these changes made bumpsteer worse.

I have some thoughts, but none are good.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/24/17 8:04 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have some thoughts, but none are good.

Do they involve a rack and pinion set up and, I don't know, strippers?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 8:21 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I have some thoughts, but none are good.
Do they involve a rack and pinion set up and, I don't know, strippers?

We are totally in the wrong thread.

If I could find a takeoff rack and pinion with electric power steering, I might just try that.

Otherwise I'm thinking fabricating a new/modified center link and dealing with whatever tie rod I end up with.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/25/17 7:51 a.m.

I retightened the oil pan last night, but it's raining a lot here, so I can't tell if the leak has stopped or not yet.

In other news, the cam gear is rocking on the cam right now a bit, so I am hoping that new gear comes soon!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/12/17 8:50 a.m.

Oil leak appears to have stopped once I got rid of the acorn nuts on the valve cover and used some normal nylock nuts.

Still waiting for that cam gear and cluster, but it's driving pretty well now. We're past year #2 now, and my costs are pretty great for two years of DD use.

grover
grover Reader
5/12/17 8:59 a.m.

holy crap I remember those dumb acorn nuts. That's hilarious. My 88 had a small c clamp holding on the thermostat when it finally gave up the ghost. I think I broke it replacing it at one point.

I just remembered how many alternators I had to put on that dumb car. I replaced one in the snow in gatlinburg one time. The good thing is, I got to where I could r/r one in about 20 minutes. It was a pain though. I think that the pioneer head unit was enough to cook the oem spec alternators that I kept getting and returning to autozone.

Man, I miss that car.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/12/17 9:02 a.m.
grover wrote: holy crap I remember those dumb acorn nuts. That's hilarious. My 88 had a small c clamp holding on the thermostat when it finally gave up the ghost. I think I broke it replacing it at one point. I just remembered how many alternators I had to put on that dumb car. I replaced one in the snow in gatlinburg one time. The good thing is, I got to where I could r/r one in about 20 minutes. It was a pain though. I think that the pioneer head unit was enough to cook the oem spec alternators that I kept getting and returning to autozone. Man, I miss that car.

Well if it is any consolation to me (it isn't) the oil pump was actually leaking, that was the cause of the massive leak from a few weeks back. The oil pan was also leaking the second time I did it, but less. The valve cover seems to be the last.

The cam seal and crank seal, which I, of course, installed on separate occasions, probably did nothing but contribute to the failure of the cam gear.

Once I am all done, you can totally buy this from me to recapture those awesome memories. It is a neat car, quick enough and with loads of utility, it just isn't serving my needs with kid hauling.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/12/17 4:42 p.m.

This should go to the $2018 Challenge and complete the circle...

grover
grover Reader
5/12/17 6:41 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
grover wrote: holy crap I remember those dumb acorn nuts. That's hilarious. My 88 had a small c clamp holding on the thermostat when it finally gave up the ghost. I think I broke it replacing it at one point. I just remembered how many alternators I had to put on that dumb car. I replaced one in the snow in gatlinburg one time. The good thing is, I got to where I could r/r one in about 20 minutes. It was a pain though. I think that the pioneer head unit was enough to cook the oem spec alternators that I kept getting and returning to autozone. Man, I miss that car.
Well if it is any consolation to me (it isn't) the oil pump was actually leaking, that was the cause of the massive leak from a few weeks back. The oil pan was also leaking the second time I did it, but less. The valve cover seems to be the last. The cam seal and crank seal, which I, of course, installed on separate occasions, probably did nothing but contribute to the failure of the cam gear. Once I am all done, you can totally buy this from me to recapture those awesome memories. It is a neat car, quick enough and with loads of utility, it just isn't serving my needs with kid hauling.

oh geeze.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/12/17 8:33 p.m.
Acme Lab Rat wrote: This should go to the $2018 Challenge and complete the circle...

If I still have it, I'll try like the dickens. This year looks bad because of prior commitments for those dollars.

Maybe Grover can bring it...

grover
grover Reader
5/13/17 7:52 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Acme Lab Rat wrote: This should go to the $2018 Challenge and complete the circle...
If I still have it, I'll try like the dickens. This year looks bad because of prior commitments for those dollars. Maybe Grover can bring it...

Is this one of those situations where knowing a car's history is actually bad?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/18/17 11:00 a.m.

Working on a weird idle issue.

It seems the idle screw is moving around based on vibrations, so every few days I have to set the idle speed again.

I threw some antiseize on it last night in an attempt to add a little friction.

Still, not too bad otherwise, A/C working great, car's running like a top. I just need that crank pulley from Derick and the cluster and it will be 100% mechanically.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/3/17 11:58 a.m.

Stuck on side of road

Probably fuel pump.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
7/3/17 1:05 p.m.

I am still amazed that your wife has not made you get rid of it yet.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
7/3/17 3:33 p.m.

You've found the only unreliable late-80s Honda Accord.

It must be like the sacrificial anode for the rest of the fleet.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
7/3/17 7:14 p.m.

In fairness, I think that's the first time he's ever actually been stranded....

It just goes to show you, prior care of a 30+ year old car is way more important than any perceived notions of "reliability". Hence why all the 40 and 50 year old cars still chugging around are not "proof" that they "don't build them like they used too..." No, actually, it's just that all the crap ones have been selected out already, and the poor maintainers took care of the rest.

Tuna, Scrap the Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BkD7UTYrbB0

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/3/17 9:54 p.m.

Can't afford to get rid of it.

When I got it in the driveway it pumped gas into a tank with ease and also started and ran just fine.

I think I may be pulling a vacuum in the tank. I did pull the filler cap and heard a big woosh.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/3/17 11:01 p.m.

Also the record is correct. This is the first time I've had a tow since I brought it home two years ago.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/8/17 7:20 p.m.

Derick sent a bunch of stuff over today!!

I swapped a new timing belt for the one with the hole in it, and also a new cam gear which actually featured a woodruff key slot. As soon as I loosened the bolt the smallest bit, the cam gear just spun on the cam. I was very close to destroying the engine.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/10/17 9:56 p.m.

I was driving home, enjoying my new cam gear (with my cam timing not shifting around scaring me), and my new armrest (which really did make a huge difference) that I wasn't really all that surprised when it stalled pulling into my street.

Happily, my seven year old (Tunakid #2) was delighted to pull it up and into the hilly driveway with the lawn mower. I've never seen him so happy.

I think it is the fuel pump after all, it must have been failing intermittently.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/11/17 4:58 a.m.

Loose ground?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/11/17 5:15 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

No it's getting 12v to the pump. It misbehaved long enough for me to check things out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wnsyYQsZkpLEmmQRr2KTcrmI11KGcBYVmwSBtcMMoZO5bXhbW930uxLHgSpwFOqv