1 2
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/24/19 1:29 p.m.

I live at the beach here in Neptune Beach Florida, roughly a mile from the ocean.  Lots of folks use street legal golf carts to get around in the summer.  It's a great way to go to the beach or to a restaurant for lunch.

I have owned several golf carts over the years but this is going to be my 1st street legal build.  I figured I would document the process and cost involved.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/24/19 1:34 p.m.

They're fun, we use them to tow sailplanes around.  Be advised at the beach & restaraunts, any Club Car key will fit any other Club Car cart.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
2/24/19 1:43 p.m.

I’m interested in the process 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/24/19 2:15 p.m.
914Driver said:

They're fun, we use them to tow sailplanes around.  Be advised at the beach & restaraunts, any Club Car key will fit any other Club Car cart.

I am aware of the key situation.  I purchased a unique key kit for just that reason.

So I recently sold my 2014 club car to my neighbor, and I am going to start from scratch with a 2016 model.  I went with a club car because they have an aluminum frame and they don't rust which is a good thing living at the beach.

Here is the 2014 I recently sold to my neighbor.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/24/19 2:20 p.m.

Here is the 2016 fresh from the golf course.  I picked it up for $2,300.00.

I actually bought four at once.  I sold one already to a buddy.  I put together two 2014's to sell on craigslist.  They sell quick here at the beach.  I sold 5 last year at tax season.

Here is one of the 2014s.

TJL
TJL Reader
2/24/19 3:11 p.m.

Nice! Club car fan here for the same reason, no frame rust. Also much better suspension than the ez-go’s.

Doing the new like the old? The standard stuff like lift, wheels, flip flop seat? Any performance upgrades? 

I wanted a president to play with but they were too much $ when i was looking. 

Did a 1988 ds for my parents. swapped to a vanguard 21hp and lift, rim/tires and flip flop. 

My toy is a 1996 carryall 1 with all pro 6” lift and a slightly modded 18hp kohler command that spanks the crap out of the much newer 21hp vanguard cart. Love the dump bed for yardwork. I run it offroad too and get lots of funny looks as the “golf cart” that sounds like a harley and is spinning tires. 

I really wish they would ease up and let us run carts on the back roads without having to worry about getting impounded.  When visiting towns with rules like yours, it seems to work great letting people run carts instead of driving cars. Like how FL wont even let you legalize a gas cart. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/24/19 4:23 p.m.

I bought a bunch of parts for the 2016.  I will detail each including cost as I work on installing them.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/24/19 5:33 p.m.

I just sold the two green 2014's on craigslist.  Not even listed for 5 hours!  I am dropping them off at a local condo complex later this week.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
2/24/19 6:56 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I just sold the two green 2014's on craigslist.  Not even listed for 5 hours!  I am dropping them off at a local condo complex later this week.

Damn! Nice job. You can flip any vehicle out there, evidently! :D

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 3:41 p.m.

So I got side tracked selling the 2014's.  I ended up taking a 2006 precedent and a 2001 EZGO TXT in on trade.  

I almost have the 2006 ready to sell.  The 2001 is going to take some work...

I got both for $850!

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/3/19 5:04 p.m.

How much for the carryall behind the ez-go? My dad uses a golf cart to drive around the farm and his current cart is getting worn out.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 6:55 p.m.

Those pictures were from the golf cart mechanic shop where I picked up the two trade ins.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 8:43 p.m.

So before I can start adding parts I need to take off the un-needed golf cart stuff.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 8:54 p.m.

First thing I am going to install is the light kit.

I like the madjax parts.  They fit well and have excellent instructions.

This is an ultimate light kit.  It includes the bucket harness which is required to install the lights.  It has headlights, tail lights, horn and turn signals.

First thing first is to remove the front bumper.

After routing the wires you need to install the turn signal stalk.

Everything plugs together nicely.  While I had the dash apart I installed a unique key.  Every club car uses the same key, you can imagine the issues this brings with it.  The $40 the new lockset costs is a worthwhile investment for the added security.

I also installed a set of new batteries.  I went with the 8 volt crown 165's.  Crown batteries are made in the USA and have a good reputation.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
3/3/19 9:13 p.m.

I'm looking at your pile of goodies and I'm wondering how one of them is going to fit, but I'm excited to find out

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/3/19 9:30 p.m.

The lt1 is going in the s10 in the driveway under the grey car cover.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/4/19 1:28 p.m.

I have to ask: why did they leave the bottle of sand for fixing divots on the cart, and what are you doing with it? It seems like something that would come in really handy around the garage, I just don't know for what. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/4/19 1:29 p.m.

Oh, and I totally want to drive to the beach in a Golf Cart and grab a beer, that sounds like so much fun.  As I sit here in 20 degree weather. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/14/19 9:46 p.m.

I decided to get the 2001 ez go out of my garage.  I am letting the church my son plays football with use it for the next few months.  

It looked terrible so I needed to get it in order before I drop it off this weekend.

First step was scrubbing off the accumulated funk.

Then I applied what felt like a million coats of red plasti dip.

Tomorrow I am installing new seat covers and a folding back seat.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/16/19 8:52 p.m.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/16/19 9:10 p.m.

Will that actually do 20 mph?  Where are the seatbelts?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/16/19 9:31 p.m.

That plastidip looks familiar....

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/17/19 8:05 a.m.

In reply to maj75 :

Not the newly red plasti dipped ezgo.  It is a 36v so 13 is probably all she will do.

The club car I am keeping should do 18 with the larger tires.  A $75 speed code from the clubcar dealer should get me 23 ish. 

I have a buddy who has a controller, wires, a motor and gears on his and it goes 42 mph.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/17/19 8:22 a.m.

I have thought about doing this conversion to a used machine.  Where are the best places to pick up the oem and the aftermarket parts?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/17/19 8:36 a.m.

I'm glad to see this thread.  My Harley Davidson cart has been parked, inoperable for a couple years now.  Maybe this will inspire me to do something with it.  I'll revive my thread with some questions for you ;)

I'll be following with interest.  Thanks!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSjygWKOmisiMngtPwqkakztex0fvdVxtbzPmNoNYdIvGtRcczXlW1fGAX6axwlq