1 2 3 4
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
1/23/19 6:13 a.m.

The car has stock springs up front and load coils in the back.  It had a large stereo in the trunk and he wanted it level.  All shocks are of unknown origin and age.

It has some umi tubular pieces upfront, but I haven't dug into it yet.  He also said it has a front bar of some sort.  The rear bar looks stock. 

If I can find a set of used bilsteins and lowering springs I will be stoked.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
1/23/19 6:42 a.m.

I still remember almost dropping a solid front sway bar from one of these on my head. It was a quick reminder I wasn't working on a Miata. 

Looks like it should be fast enough for the challenge. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/10/19 2:42 p.m.

So today I drug the Camaro out of the back lot to start working on it.  It actually started with out a jump and drove to the back of the workshop.

I checked the coolant which was a tad low.  After adding some coolant we decided to let it run for a bit to see if we could get it to overheat.  First thing we noticed was the fans would come on, but were barely moving any air.   We jumpered the wire for the relays and they roared to life correctly and we felt a ton of air moving.

I let it idle for about 45 minutes in the 90 degree heat and the car never overheated.  The A/c even worked.  Me and my buddy Brad took it for a hot lap down the road as far as we dared on the bald tires.  It ran fine and never got hot.

Could it be a bad relay not kicking the fans on that caused the overheat.  I guess the only way to find out is to put some miles on it.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
5/10/19 4:19 p.m.

Looks like someone gave up on the Opti and installed the 24x system instead.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/23/19 11:04 p.m.

So two new to me relays seem to have fixed the problem!

I will probably put the Hankooks from the Corvette wheels that are currently on my S10 on the car so I can start driving it.  That way I can fix any additional issues that come up before the challenge. 

Next step is going to be fixing the crappy paint.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/24/19 9:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

ill give you 20 bucks if you actually grow a joe dirt mullet for the challenge.

twenty

bucks

What are challenge rules on this?  Is this in the recipe category?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/25/19 9:38 a.m.

Good question.  Unfortunately I am incapable of growing a mullet even if I wanted to.  That train left the station about 10 years ago...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/27/19 3:14 p.m.

Painted the ss wheels that came with the car in preparation for switching the Hankooks over from the s10.

S10 looks way less cool without the c4 wheels.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/27/19 5:23 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I have the sads seeing the S10 like that.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/27/19 5:43 p.m.

I had the sads when I priced 200 treadwear 18 inch tires.sad

The 17 inch Hankooks I already own will do a fine job on the Camaro smiley

I am contemplating throwing a set of 16 inch 3rd gen iroc wheel on the s10.  I picked them up a few months ago from the pick a part yard.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/29/19 10:05 p.m.

I mounted the rs3's on the SS wheels and slapped them on the car.  With decent tires I took it for an actual test drive...

It is pretty rowdy with the Cam and the heads.  It has a ton of torque and I was able to light up the RS3's from a roll in second by gunning it at about 20 mph.  My buddy was laughing the entire time because the car is pretty ridiculous and it sounds crazy.

I honestly have to say it is probably one of the fastest cars I have ever owned.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/2/19 8:07 p.m.

Drove the car home today.  The check engine light came on and it seems to be loading up under a load

I got home and pulled the code: P0123.  It's a high voltage for the throttle position sensor code.

I cleared it and will see if it comes back.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/9/19 8:02 a.m.

So the plan for today was to take Joe dirt out for a shake down autocross.

I woke up early  and stopped for gas.

Grabbed a coffee and made it to the ferry with 10 minutes to spare.

Things were going well until I heard a loud pop on A1a...

Yeah apparently I am not destined to autocross the camaro today.

Fortunately my buddy Chris was following me to the event and was able to give me a ride.  He even offered me a codrive in his 80k mile Integra Type R.

So I guess at the end of the day it's a win, I would rather drive the integra instead of the Camaro anyway so it's not all bad.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/9/19 8:06 a.m.

I forgot to mention Kyle's vette cart is badass!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/9/19 8:24 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

That the Amelia Island airport?  Sucks about the tire. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/9/19 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes it is

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/9/19 10:19 a.m.

Halfway through my runs.  There is a reason Type R integras are considered one of the best handling FWD cars ever.  This thing is super fun to drive!

This 911 is pretty cool as well.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/9/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Make that lemonade!

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/29/19 8:29 p.m.

I bought two RS4's and mounted them to the SS wheels.

I swapped out the holly big bore throttle body today that came with the car for a stock lt1 one that I had in the garage.  That seems to have fixed the TPS code.

The car now idles slightly higher but most of the stumbling is now gone.  My buddy who tunes cars for a living is going to look at it Tuesday and help me adjust the tune.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/1/19 1:32 p.m.

So knowing what you are doing helps a ton.  My buddy hooked up his computer and was able to quickly figure out the cars problem which was twofold, with out even driving it.

First off the stumbling was caused by the o2 sensors.  He changed the threshold for running closed loop to a ridiculously high number which prompted the car to stay in an open loop thus eliminating the o2 sensors from the equation.  This fixed the stumbling issue!

The second problem was with the larger throttle body and a tps high voltage code.  He adjusted the tps range and viola no more code.  After he did those two things I took it for a test drive.  Wow this thing is fast!  

It's crazy to me that me describing the problem to someone coupled with his professional knowledge was able to figure out the issue that quickly.

He was able to look at the fuel tables and realized that the car had already been tuned at one point. 

Since I was there and he had nothing else scheduled we threw it on the dyno...

Joe Dirt sums it up pretty well...

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/1/19 1:46 p.m.

those are impressive numbers! and not even with a power adder! throw some nitrous on that thing and you are gonna be making some pretty good 1/4 mile passes at the challenge. 

did you dyno it before or after that sticker, because we all know stickers add varying hp numbers.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/1/19 1:52 p.m.

This car is going to do some serious damage in the 1/4 mile.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
10/1/19 2:39 p.m.

Daaaang! Nicely bought!

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/1/19 3:56 p.m.

So what all is done to it?  From my limited experience, 365 Whp is VERY strong for an LT1, beyond what I'd expect from just heads, cam and long tubes.  How wild are those heads?!

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/1/19 4:03 p.m.

It has Elliott Port Works Heads and Stage 2 cam, long tubes, holly throttle body, coil on plug system, cold air intake, 3 inch mandrel exhaust. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ptpppe4hykOMS4C3AWYjbhBoTIruQB2NySqtE0Fnj301m5JyI3jTYNzeQ7yGmmrE