Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/18/21 7:39 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Hooray for new wheel cylinders!

If only he had known a really good brake guy that could have done that beforehand.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 9:23 a.m.
Stampie said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Hooray for new wheel cylinders!

If only he had known a really good brake guy that could have done that beforehand.

he doesn't.  i asked.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/18/21 10:04 a.m.

LOL I literally couldn't have waited any longer to buy this stuff. Idiot.

I was able to get the softline off and replaced just now, I need to draw in 1 new wheel stud today and then I'll get everything all the way back together/adjusted as well as I can.

I'll take a later lunch break today to run and grab new Master cylinder mounting hardware and a deep well SAE impact socket to get the wheel stud pulled in.

Also - sunrises here are pretty good.

10/18/21 10:27 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

deep well SAE impact socket to get the wheel stud pulled in.

get a couple of flat washers that fit the new stud and some wheel bearing grease.  apply grease to both sides of washers, and slip them over the stud before threading the nut on.  also grease the knurl and the threads.  it'll pull right in, no sweat.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/18/21 5:34 p.m.

Front brakes, now with 100% more lock-up!

Hoping to get the rears momentarily, and then swap MCs once I have brakes at 4 corners

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/18/21 9:36 p.m.

New Master cylinder loosely installed, need shorter bolts unfortunately. I cut and reflared the line at the master cylinder, and had to fix the whole pedal box from someone's previous modification.

I found the blockage to the rear brakes was coming from the softline to the rear axle, so that will take a trip to Napa to see what else will work as a replacement! After that should be smooth sailing. Regardless of brake fix I'm planning to gas up and fire it for a minute tomorrow to test kill switch function.

Rear brake hose and union that connected to the hardline (both ends of the hose are "male")

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/18/21 9:40 p.m.

Could always seal off the rear brakes.  Makes power sliding through corners easier

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/19/21 10:01 p.m.

Freaking bubble flare threw me for a loop, but yeah I have brakes at all 4 corners. Tomorrow morning the mufflers go in and the car drives into the garage for some final work before going back on the trailer later in the day. No pictures bc WTF am I going to show, it's small stuff.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/20/21 9:38 a.m.

Stalled out when I shifted to 3 and stayed/got on the brakes.. charging the battery for a minute and will pull to 1 or 2 in a while to get off the trailer!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/20/21 10:51 p.m.

Long day, it ran again later and very strong.

Rolled it down the driveway in Neutral (off) and had some wild flopping for every rotation of the rear end. Tightened up some bolts and manually spun the driveshaft today and will hope that took decent care of it.

Wind Deflector is made (totally meant to do it this way and not use the really nice clear stuff I left in Michigan).

Harness bar is in, shoulder straps are in, seat back is tacked (will hit the uppers tomorrow before loading the trailer).

Radiator has water, diff has oil. 

I will need to do lights and gauges in parking lot, plus the anti-sub strap, as I'm not sure I understand how to mount that and I don't want to mess it up.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/20/21 10:58 p.m.
classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/21/21 8:57 a.m.

Trash fantastic earlier this morning, and now seems flooded and won't start. Ugh. Delayed departure time from here, but I'm damn well driving it onto the trailer this time!

10/21/21 11:25 a.m.

if you can reach a spark plug, pull it and see if it's wet with gas.  my quadrabog used to occasionally flood due to crud in gas keeping the inlet valve needle from seating.  if you have a clear filter on it, see how much crap is in the filter.

good luck, kid!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/21/21 3:36 p.m.

Maybe 2 hours out, looking forward to getting there!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/21/21 9:47 p.m.

Posted up in the parking lot tonight and got to meet some folks, got a little work done too!

Wheel stud is installed, headlights are in and working, anti-sub belt installed.

Definitely still more to do to pass tech and be good/safe, but it's close! 

I got some good suggestions from passerby tonight on improving safety concerns that will be beneficial come tomorrow.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/21/21 10:25 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Was great meeting you in person and looking at Riggamort tonight. See you tomorrow. 

10/22/21 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Go get Doug a big bottle of Blue Devil Head Gasket sauce. My remote diagnosis says he needs it. He hasn't responded to my text yet.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/22/21 8:38 p.m.

Long day today, tons of good that brought on some less good.

I couldn't have done almost anything today without community GRM help, which was an honest blessing in feel-good and keeping spirits up.

I got to the track around 810 this morning and knocked out what turned into several items to pass tech. Got it done, and with some help got the car started (whoo!) But had to do a few other things and couldn't get it off the trailer and to tech, and then couldn't start it again. So, Travis helped me push the car to/through tech and back to keep working.

We muddled around for a while, and then got help from someone who adjusted timing (and I tightened down the starter cable - dummy) and we had a car that ran and was real lively!

It also turned out I didn't have nearly enough water in the car, and the pinion angle was pretty extreme - causing the entire car to bump pretty hard every revolution of the rear end.

More updates coming

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/22/21 10:08 p.m.

Alright, so we got to having a car that passed tech and usually cranked on the key. Next was figuring out the horrible clunk, which meant spacing the rear of the transmission up maybe 1/2" to even out angles on the short driveshaft. 

At pushing speeds, the problem seemed to be gone. So, I took it for a first test drive in the back 9, and aside from a stumble on throttle (I hear that's a quadrajet feature), it felt pretty good!

Later on, we realized how short on water it was. So, we filled another gallon or two more, and worked to bleed it. That was a process in it's own right. The car would overheat after a miniscule amount of time, like 1 minute. Andrew Nelson helped me get the thermostat removed, and things were looking up - at 350 or so the car ran well and hadn't spewed, so I got in and Harnessed up - at which point the overflow started overflowing and the car was clearly not going to run the auto cross.

John H offered to tow me through the Autox to set a time, and we started that at about 400, as the last run of the day!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/22/21 10:15 p.m.

Posted in the Challenge thread sticky, but it belongs here as well.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/22/21 10:24 p.m.

Without going back over fifteen pages, did this engine ever get a proper compression check?
Looks like you have plenty of radiator so should not be having such problems.
You may have to resort to jacking up the car to bleed the system?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/25/21 2:11 p.m.

Post event plan?
You no longer have to rush everything.

I have made a deal to obtain a similar car, but with the V8 no longer in it.
My hope is to restore it to mostly original, except for the 1275 engine and later type transmission, disc brakes.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/26/21 4:19 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Plan was always to sell it post challenge. Getting last in the challenge and being as unprepared for the event as I was on the whole are driving me towards storing it for the winter and digging back into it in the spring for next year's challenge.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 4:25 p.m.

Yes do that make it work then sell it next November 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/26/21 5:41 p.m.

I think that's the best plan also.  Sorry you didn't get to experience the trill side of the Challenge.  We should have let you hit the horn button nitrous in the Buick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u2FRS18GbLSPYvCYuiBUweVDa0Gg5H7VrsuD4JOemIXWxAxclpFrxkgvxfPBrS6y