1 2 3
jh36
jh36 Reader
6/23/17 10:31 a.m.

The paint on the racecar is hideous, so no! But I have toyed with getting two #36 magnetic number sets for the sides of the bus. And it already has sidepipes.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
6/23/17 10:53 a.m.

Thanks for the info :) It might be relevant to my interests in a few years :)

jh36
jh36 Reader
6/23/17 4:51 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane:

Very cool. My opinion, these are great values. Way less than a modern Rv and infinitely more substantial. Something this big and heavy is expensive to fix when something goes wrong, but the old FC series is relatively simple. The support groups for these are very strong and they have bailed me out many times. It's a great family hauler for those who don't like family haulers. As stated earlier, it makes a great race support vehicle. I have convinced myself to treat not renting rooms as an ROI calculation. Let me know when you're ready to take the plunge! And if you are ever around a race I'm attending at Summit Point or VIR, let me know...happy to give you the nickel tour.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
6/24/17 5:08 p.m.

Every time this thread pops up, I think "huh, alright, someone is building a diesel electric locomotive," and then I remember. Damn but that thing is beautiful.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/24/17 5:46 p.m.
Acme Lab Rat wrote: Every time this thread pops up, I think "huh, alright, someone is building a diesel electric locomotive," and then I remember. Damn but that thing is beautiful.

Hmm... I don't actually think anyone here has done that, or steam-powered for that matter? At least, not yet.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
6/24/17 6:30 p.m.

In reply to jh36:

I lurk there at WOG quite a bit as well, with the same user name. I am going to guess there are at least 10 or 15 regular posters there with racecars. Including Flagman with his land speed record VW Rabbit.

I see you have the same interior layout as us as well with the two couches. Sleeps the five of us very comfortably.

jh36
jh36 Reader
6/24/17 7:07 p.m.

In reply to

Yep, I like the two couch layout, and we have rear bath with "Ricky and Lucy" beds. We sleep five inside as well, and generally have a tent in the paddock for overflow sleeping. (Lots of kids with a growing number of race enthusiast friends)

jh36
jh36 Reader
12/30/18 7:30 p.m.

I thought I would dust this thread off...here’s an update.

For starters, I still love this thing.  Having said that....

About a year ago, we were heading to VIR and had a loss of power and some smoke coming from the exhaust.  I wasn’t too far from the track so we kept going.  Once there, I called my diesel mechanic and consulted with a few folks at the track. The consensus was a probable turbo failure. The weekend ended and we laid a nice smokescreen home...slowly.  We were losing zero oil and there were no awful sounds so I just kept poking along.  We crested  the Chesapeake Bay Bridge under 20 mph and coasted on home.  Unfortunately it turned out we had a blown head gasket.  And doubly unfortunately, when that happens, it’s unlikely other parts of the system are not compromised.  

Rather cry over spilled milk, I plotted a potential re-engine, perhaps going with an inline 6 for added torque.  In the end, i decided to go with a refurbished Jasper Cat 3208 turbo as original.

It was a pain in the purse, but the results are great.  It is smooth, powerful and quieter.  While we had her apart we also replaced the air bags and put on new Koni’s.  

The engine went in February of 2018 and we put about 2,000 miles on it this year....no issues. Knock on wood.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/30/18 8:20 p.m.

I'm amazed that Koni makes shocks for motor homes.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/30/18 8:54 p.m.

My father toured one of the Blue Bird school bus factories in Virginia back in the ‘90’s.  He came away saying that you didn’t want to be involved in an accident with a Blue Bird school bus.  Where they needed a rivet they used three.  He said that US safety standards made them the most ridiculously overbuilt vehicles on the road.  

Rons
Rons New Reader
12/31/18 12:39 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Koni doesn't just make shocks for buses they make lifts as well https://stertil-koni.com

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/31/18 6:04 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I’d be more amazed if Koni made double-adjustable remote reservoir shocks for motor homes. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/31/18 8:02 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
stuart in mn said:

I’d be more amazed if Koni made double-adjustable remote reservoir shocks for motor homes. 

I'm sure Fox would make a set for you if you're willing to pay for them.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
12/31/18 8:29 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Where they needed a rivet they used three.

As another Blue Bird Bus owner, can confirm. So many rivets.

jh36
jh36 Reader
12/31/18 9:25 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

They have a division for trucks, buses and trailers.  Something for virtually everyone. 

jh36
jh36 Reader
12/31/18 9:32 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:
A 401 CJ said:

Where they needed a rivet they used three.

As another Blue Bird Bus owner, can confirm. So many rivets.

JohnInKansas....good to meet a fellow Bird owner...what do you have?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
1/1/19 8:56 a.m.

You run with NASA midatlantic right?  Either that or there’s another one of these rolling around.  I’d admire it every track day I run into it. There are so many awesome RV setups out there, this one is hands down the coolest though.  Cheers!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/1/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

2001 40ft school bus. Wife and I are slowly converting it to an RV. I'm 6'5"ish, so we did a reverse body section job, added 10" of height under the windows (picture is mid-lift, prior to reskinning). Wound up putting in more than 500 rivets with one of those hand-operated rivet guns.

Good times.

jh36
jh36 Reader
1/1/19 2:06 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

You run with NASA midatlantic right?  Either that or there’s another one of these rolling around.  I’d admire it every track day I run into it. There are so many awesome RV setups out there, this one is hands down the coolest though.  Cheers!

Sure do...swing on by for a tour, beverage and (if you time it right), sit in with the band!  Running the new ST6 class with our 944. Formerly PTE, GTS1 and 944 Cup back in the day. 

jh36
jh36 Reader
1/1/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

That is incredible. Fantastic. Love to see your progress on that as it comes along. There’s something to be said for outfitting your own...just finding all the breakers, switches and access panels isn’t simple. Very well done. 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
1/1/19 8:33 p.m.

(Note to self) Self? If you ever need a track day vehicle.... Buy a goddamned Blue Bird bus haha! Preferably rear engined with a Cummins and a Allison....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0Dt8i3FkW1chwnf1L58qJhN0kZDyRnWr0eg7JAHMMvZKVDuOSQPkn9S57N8306t