2 3 4 5 6
Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/10/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Factory propane barra are referred to as green tops so i'm sure one could look up the shade of green somewhere 

gumby
gumby Dork
12/11/22 1:29 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Questions on the engine:

Did you get it imported from Australia?  It's only that market, right?

What's it weigh?

Are you going to fab up your own turbo system or buy it?

What transmission are you thinking of using?

In the last 3-4yrs, a handful of importers have picked up on the Barra. I bought from Barraswap.com
The Barra is AUS only, correct.
Good question. I will try to remember to hang my scale between the hoist and the engine to get an answer.
I will probably fab my own turbo manifold due to the non-standard chassis choice, and sheer expense. There is a nice upper intake plenum available which I may purchase because I'm not sure I could build it for the price and it should fit well.
The earlier Aussie i6's came factory with a T5. I ordered one of those bellhousings off eBay.au before the engine landed on my concrete. I have a motorsports T5z and an aftermarket countershaft support which will fill the role.

759NRNG said:
...and does the PS motor mount almost line up? 

This quick and dirty mock up does appear that the mounts may be close to lining up. If that proves out, I will hafta weigh the cost of some off the shelf Fox swap mounts vs. building my own.

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
12/11/22 1:36 p.m.

AUS forums consistently list the Barra as 200-210KG with manifolds. So 450 ish lbs?

gumby
gumby Dork
12/11/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Can confirm

With manifolds, p/s pump, alternator, and flexplate.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
12/11/22 6:27 p.m.

I did not expect that when you brought that into the northern hemisphere it's mass would convert from kg to lbs.  Wonder if the turbo will spin the right way also?

So very excited to watch this happen.  I got to see the Barra in person.  It was delightful.  

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/11/22 6:44 p.m.

These Barras' are truck /van motors .....hp/lbft?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/11/22 6:45 p.m.

Now I'm subscribed. I LOVE oddball import stuffed into American iron. 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick New Reader
12/11/22 7:22 p.m.

Very cool!  That has the potential to obliterate the NA V8 versions' performance while being unique and street driveable.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/11/22 9:56 p.m.

Biiichin!

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
12/15/22 8:32 p.m.
759NRNG said:

These Barras' are truck /van motors .....hp/lbft?

Nope, Sedan and Ute. 

Hottest factory turbo variant was 416 hp/417ftlb.

I'd be unsurprised if they line up with standard Windsor mount positions - the two engine options in Aussie Falcons (apart from a brief period of ecoboost 4s) were V8 and I6, initially Windsor, then modular (iron 5.4 with 32v heads in the hot ones) then coyote. I don't believe the mountings for the sixes have changed since the crossflow in the late 70s.

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
12/15/22 8:42 p.m.

Be aware, when turbo'd this thing will grenade the T5z in short order. The Turbo cara never had the T5, and the NA Barras didn't have T5 for long 

gumby
gumby Dork
12/18/22 9:55 p.m.

A wild package arrived from down under

Hiding inside the bellhousing is a 157T SBF flywheel. I needed to confirm the Barra starter, intended for a 160T ring gear, would mesh properly. Nothing really new here as I found many posts on various forums discussing the original 160T flywheels in early Mustangs and their 157T service replacement parts, but I had the means to verify, so I did.

In other not-new information, this bellhousing I acquired is shallower than a Fox Mustang part; to the tune of roughly 7/8"
This thread and some further digging led to this chart and this spacer. Somewhere in here is the proper stack-up to make all these parts work together for roughly half the cost of a Quicktime Barra bell.

In reply to Gammaboy :

I'm hopeful that a low curb weight and some mechanical sympathy will keep the T5z alive until I can arrange a suitable TKO or TKX replacement.

gumby
gumby Dork
1/26/23 9:07 a.m.

Busy not making forward progress, but lots of mental work.

Brain dump:

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
1/26/23 9:57 a.m.

Wow. That red car is stunning. Like a work of art!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/26/23 1:20 p.m.

Just a 4 tooth correction for you.  Early Mustangs used a 164 tooth flywheel with 11" clutch.  Later Mustangs (Fox body) used the 157 tooth flywheel with 10.5" clutch.  Starter positions and pinion depth moved a bit.  Powermaster offers starters with interchangeable nose plates to allow for the differences.

Todd (owner of a 3 speed manual to TKO600 swapped 351 Cleveland 1969 Cougar)

gumby
gumby Dork
1/26/23 1:29 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/threads/1965-mustang-flywheel-tooth-count.346686/

Google returns many 160T results

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
1/26/23 6:43 p.m.

In light of that video on the green-top engine, are you going to do any work on the internals?  Even just open it up and have a look?  Compression test maybe?

gumby
gumby Dork
1/26/23 6:57 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

The video strikes me as highly sensational. I imagine the situation there as similar to us with LS swaps; old engines be old. I did find the bit about valve seat regression in LPG engines interesting, but my plan hasn't changed.

I will leak this engine down and how far it comes apart will depend on those results. Basic plan is inspect the bearings, upgraded valve springs, stud the head, better oil pump gears, replace timing chains and guides. If the head has to come off, I'll probably push the pistons out and re-gap the rings while the valve seats get repaired.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/26/23 7:39 p.m.

I can't believe that I missed this build! This is amazing. Great engine choice. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
1/31/23 6:52 p.m.

is the extra length of the Barra going to necessitate a rethink on the traditional radiator hood exit?

actually, as I type that, I realize you probably want a plan for an intercooler "up in there" too.

gumby
gumby Dork
1/31/23 6:58 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Life would be so much simpler if I could just convince myself to build the same things everyone else does wink

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/31/23 8:12 p.m.
gumby said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Life would be so much simpler if I could just convince myself to build the same things everyone else does wink

Cheaper too, but less cool.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
3/21/23 9:34 p.m.

Gumby, we have our customer's car on the shop floor for a few weeks for some repairs and tweaks. If you can use  pics or other details let me know. 

gumby
gumby Dork
3/21/23 10:01 p.m.

Oh, there is good stuff in that engine bay photo relative to my engine placement!

If I think of anything else specific, I'll let ya know. Thanks!

nocones
nocones PowerDork
3/21/23 11:03 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

That's amazing, if anything it almost looks like your big long I6 sits further back then the V8, but at least no further forward.  Assuming you don't have to move it from the current mock up location.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NHyRFJgoNGsBs3G5gHWvenbXbwLBL2gMqA5RFxJhBZBWnKHFH0z4dIqHnBK0T8k3