3 4 5 6
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/22/23 12:04 a.m.

Oh my lord. I missed the Barra update a couple months ago.  I hope there's a very specific Volvo Diesel turbo that is going to feed this all of the kangaroo power.

gumby
gumby Dork
3/22/23 7:37 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Man, I keep trying to find a project for that HX52! I thought it fit really well with the small six as far as sizing and technological development, but that build fizzled out.

I'm not sure it works as well here(or maybe I just need some convincing), but I have other possibilities for it down the road. I would also be more than happy to see you putting it to use, so if you decide you want it, lemme know.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/22/23 10:09 a.m.
gumby said:

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I keep trying to find a project for that HX52!

Same dude.  It seems like it was a pretty good 7-900hp turbo for 2JZs back in the day.  So it always stuck in my mind as a decent street turbo for something 4-5L like a Barra or Atlas.  

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/22/23 11:46 a.m.
Carl Heideman said:

Gumby, we have our customer's car on the shop floor for a few weeks for some repairs and tweaks. If you can use  pics or other details let me know. 

I somehow never expected this car to be mid-engined! That thing is stuffed way back for a nose that long. 

gumby
gumby Dork
3/26/23 5:41 p.m.

Motivation of a thread bump, aligned with not NEEDING to work on any other vehicles today, means I got Lazarus up on stands and actually did stuff; fantastic weather didn't hurt.

Chassis points laid out and measured. Within 1/16th lengthwise, but found 5/8" difference on the diagonal. This is not unexpected nor tragic, within range of suspension adjustment, and moving forward as is.

I also blocked up the rear axle to check square with the chassis and get real numbers on centering it left to right. The watts is currently out of adjustments and the axle is still 3/8" to the right, so lateral linkage changes are incoming.

gumby
gumby Dork
3/27/23 8:03 a.m.

Shortened the original left link, and salvaged together some bits of crashed racecar scrap to make a longer one for the right side.

Aaaannd, installed. Axle is now centered under the chassis

gumby
gumby Dork
4/30/23 10:06 p.m.

I have been picking away at mocking up the front suspension; swapping out place holders for parts that will be in the final revision. Got both upper control arms into proper configuration and base alignment setup. Switched the sn95 spindles with adapters out for a pair of FFR spindles. Started thinking about the hardware which will go into the end assembly.

I also disassembled an old 15:1 Fox steering rack to clean and depower it.

From there I put the rack in the lathe to remove the wiper seal and reduce the piston OD

And made the 2pc pinion into a solid unit

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
4/30/23 11:42 p.m.

Nice looking welds, do you have a shot of the new vs old spindles?

gumby
gumby Dork
5/9/23 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

gumby
gumby Dork
5/14/23 7:23 p.m.

Rack greased and reassembled with the final puzzle piece installed

With the gen2 front clip, associated rack location, FFR spindles and lowered UCA mounting, these rack extensions are supposed to get the geometry pretty spot on. I'll also have height adjustable outer tie rods to eventually finalize bumpsteer.

I really want to put a couple zip-ties on the bellows here and be able to say something, anything, is 100% complete on this project, but I will need to pull them back for centering the rack while building the steering shaft so, yeah....

gumby
gumby Dork
5/15/23 5:38 p.m.

Nothing to see here, just marking my territory like a berkeleying wild animal to ensure no one will want this chassis except me

Some grinding, sanding, polishing. Lay the powdercoat edges back, and a spritz of black Rustoleum; like nothing happened

gumbified.

gumby
gumby Dork
11/12/23 8:35 p.m.

Snagged a 12'x5' aluminum build table from FBMP for $250. It wasn't quite flat, but Bobzilla and CB came by today and helped me correct the situation. Once mostly flat again, we set Lazarus on top.

I've got more parts on order, and some adjusted plans moving forward. This table is going to be a huge help.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/12/23 9:20 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Daaaaaa-uuuuummmm !!

That's a helluva lot of build table for $250.  Great score yes

gumby
gumby Dork
11/13/23 9:40 p.m.

Well, well, well. I was a bit surprised to get a delivery notification today as I wasn't expecting parts to arrive so quickly, but here is a big chunk of the adjustment in plans going forward(and reverse):

So what we have here is a transmission adapter to hang an FCA Torqueflite 8spd behind the Barra.

That's right, Swedish parts to mate an AUS Ford engine to a ZF 8hp70 transmission built by Mopar...what a world to live in. Suppose I should go grab me a transmission next!

paddygarcia
paddygarcia HalfDork
11/13/23 9:55 p.m.
gumby said:

That's right, Swedish parts to mate an AUS Ford engine to a ZF 8hp70 transmission built by Mopar...

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
11/13/23 10:11 p.m.

I didn't see that coming but oh boy... great development!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/14/23 6:03 p.m.

I like this direction! Sequential transmissions are great fun and it should work great with the Barra. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/14/23 7:28 p.m.

The 8spd will really let you take advantage of the power.  Modern trans are amazing.

gumby
gumby Dork
12/11/23 7:47 p.m.

Got one seat mounted, and took some looks at where to fit my EPAS unit. Bought a steering wheel from MuSTANK, and a couple steering joints from Sweet Manufacturing. Switched gears entirely when I located a 38k mile 8hp70 from a 2016 Hemi Charger. Completed the first attempt at bolting that to the Barra, and started hacking a big enough hole to fit the trans in the FFR tunnel.

Distance from crank pulley to bellhousing mount flange on the Barra, including the adapter, is 31.5"
In the current position, the face of the trans is 31.5" back from the front crossmember, which is good because the trans isn't easily going any further rearward

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
12/12/23 8:00 p.m.

Man that trans is a beast in the vertical dimension!

I'm looking forward to more updates on this, seriously cool project.

gumby
gumby Dork
12/13/23 8:44 a.m.

The rear inboard seat mount is visible in a couple pics from my last post. I didn't like it. It was created out of a need to just complete the task. The real question here, knowing this, why did I weld it up??

It caused a bunch of analysis paralysis once the trans came to play. I spent too much time trying to reason out how things were going to fit together before cutting the 4" tube crossmember. I couldn't see a clear path forward for reinforcement/trans removal/seat mount all living in the same 3-5" space.

Rework be damned. After a BDT brainstorm session, I went KISS and chopped out the seat mount.

One tube to rule them all. Lateral reinforcement, rear inboard seat mount, and a location for a removable trans mount.

Kendall Frederick said:

Man that trans is a beast in the vertical dimension!

It is very square on the bottom as well. It doesn't sweep up toward the back to fit a crossmember underneath. Really messes with the perspective.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/13/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to look at the problem.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
12/13/23 10:43 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

"After much playing around with the seat I want to use  . . . " Porsche 914 seat? The universal Easy Button. I must have four or five of them down cellar.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/29/23 2:15 p.m.

Oh damn I haven't been keeping up, Barra Daytona is freakin SWEET!

gumby
gumby Dork
1/31/24 7:13 p.m.

Tacked in the new crossmember, and remounted the 4th seat attachment point

Then I went about rebuilding the trans tunnel side structure because I want to completely remove the 4" round tube stubs.

In the words of Matt from Urchfab, "Now I get to do it all over again, on the other side."

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f6o1oOcaOICPrJnRDafWonBqnGl1mctqTUIWzdEIUaGNscyWlcj87hNXRl6l4brg