8 9 10 11 12
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/13/16 9:02 p.m.
Stampie wrote: I think I saw you heading south on 95 in Jacksonville about 8:30 this morning. If so I was heading north and only saw you for a few seconds but it looked really cool for those few seconds.

Thanks, yes that was the truck. I was taking it out of town for the first time headed to Cars and Coffee in Jax, also stopped off at an autocross on Amelia Island on the way home. It ran great the whole way, no problems

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/14/16 7:40 a.m.

Installed the rear safari window.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/20/16 5:19 p.m.

I started making the bed sides today. The passenger side will be a solid panel of 20 ga steel with some curve in it and possibly some bead rolling while the drivers side will also include two vw bus engine vent louvers.

My Build Videos

maciekb2002
maciekb2002 New Reader
2/20/16 8:17 p.m.

Great project . Nice metal work

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/23/16 6:25 p.m.
maciekb2002 wrote: Great project . Nice metal work

Thanks!

Working on the passenger side today. Finishing up the area under the cab

bluegt08
bluegt08 New Reader
2/23/16 6:43 p.m.

Awesome steering wheel! Its nice to see original ideas keep up the good work!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/23/16 7:17 p.m.
bluegt08 wrote: Awesome steering wheel! Its nice to see original ideas keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/24/16 8:55 p.m.

Started working on the sheet metal under the doors and rebuilding the cab corners. Got the passenger side mostly done today.

Made up this piece for the back of the cab with a crimp to run down the side.

My Build Videos

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/27/16 1:30 p.m.

V8 Volksrod Bug waiting its turn

Build videos for the truck and the bug are here:

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/28/16 5:19 p.m.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/2/16 7:27 p.m.

Part 11 of the Build

Alarm is working as well

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/6/16 5:44 p.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/6/16 6:46 p.m.

You have great vision. The ability to execute in-vivo is a bonus

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
3/7/16 8:29 p.m.

I like part 11, looks like a great driver. Makes me want to recycle my T-bucket as a mid-engine with a van front!

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf Reader
3/7/16 11:03 p.m.

Build threads like these are surely inspirational for many. For me, they're a cold, hard reminder of what little vision and talent I actually possess.

You, sir, are an artist!!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/9/16 7:05 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: You have great vision. The ability to execute in-vivo is a bonus
sirrichardpumpaloaf wrote: Build threads like these are surely inspirational for many. For me, they're a cold, hard reminder of what little vision and talent I actually possess. You, sir, are an artist!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Nearly finished with the drivers side of the cab

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L6jX6tj5spY/Vt9zIHSDccI/AAAAAAAAC3o/sX9lKAksZjg/s800-Ic42/20160308_174707.jpg

My Build Videos

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/16/16 6:49 p.m.

Started smoothing off hundreds of tack welds on the headlight filler panels.

My Builds

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/24/16 8:37 a.m.

Welded the door back together and removed the temporary panel alignment clips.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
3/24/16 9:53 a.m.

Are you planning any kind of engine compartment cover? For some reason, I keep seeing an F5000 snorkel on this thing....

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/27/16 7:19 a.m.
Sanchinguy wrote: Are you planning any kind of engine compartment cover? For some reason, I keep seeing an F5000 snorkel on this thing....

That would be cool. I am looking for a roof clip to make a cover to match the cab roof, but a tall snorkel on top of that would look great!

brad131a4
brad131a4 New Reader
3/27/16 6:36 p.m.

I keep coming back and looking at this build and I just get this feeling of it should have the fold down sides and back on it. That's just me, you keep on going for what you want as it's looking good. Just wondering if you are going to mount some front fenders on this. Thinking that the little bump turn signals off a bug would work good on them if you did do that. Again just my thoughts wondering around in my skull. Keep up the amazing work.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/31/16 9:20 a.m.
brad131a4 wrote: I keep coming back and looking at this build and I just get this feeling of it should have the fold down sides and back on it. That's just me, you keep on going for what you want as it's looking good. Just wondering if you are going to mount some front fenders on this. Thinking that the little bump turn signals off a bug would work good on them if you did do that. Again just my thoughts wondering around in my skull. Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks! I have an idea for front turn signals that will likely generate love/hate comments...hope to post photos before too long. I looked into using the original bed sides but they were too far gone, but as you can see, instead carried the body line from the front. Also looked into using some stock treasure chest doors as bed sides but they are prohibitively expensive! I am not done with the bed sides or the metal that will wrap around the back and am considering using a bead roller to try and duplicate the rectangular pattern that is pressed into the stock side gates. Re: front fenders, I would like to use a pair of bobber style motorcycle fenders that utilize a slip in design. They would typically reside in a compartment in the engine bay but would sip in place for heavy rain. For now, I am slowly chipping away at it while driving it quite a lot. Still need to pull the cab back off and finish welding the underside of the floor and the cage once all the glass, gauges etc are pulled out

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
4/2/16 1:22 p.m.

Making progress on the drivers side bed side. Lots of tack welds still to go, but making progress.

My Build Videos

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
4/3/16 10:17 a.m.

Many imperfections left to hammer out, but those will be easier now that it is held in place

BenModified.com

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
4/11/16 7:10 p.m.

Working on the front turn signals.

My Build Vidoes

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXdKjGk2zwM4yek3oGibSKYWnpyPnZresMsyytFKLrtQKMJfrzppmXglGv4wBkEi