Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/11/16 6:38 p.m.

Started building the passenger side scoop today.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/13/16 7:11 p.m.

Scoop progress

My Other Builds

jsquared
jsquared Reader
5/16/16 7:30 a.m.

I enjoy every update.

And those turn signals are hilarious! Use them whenever you're STEERing, get it? get it? (boo's expected)

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/17/16 5:56 p.m.
jsquared wrote: I enjoy every update. And those turn signals are hilarious! Use them whenever you're STEERing, get it? get it? (boo's expected)

Funny. Glad you are enjoying it.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/18/16 4:25 p.m.

Finished up the second side scoop

And got started filling the gap below the doors.

My Other Builds

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/18/16 11:07 p.m.
brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
5/18/16 11:08 p.m.

Nice. I was starting to wonder if you were going to do something about that gap. Should be nice once it's done.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/19/16 7:25 p.m.
brad131a4 wrote: Nice. I was starting to wonder if you were going to do something about that gap. Should be nice once it's done.

Thanks!

Tacked in place

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/21/16 6:10 p.m.

I spent some time yesterday applying a little body filler on the rear fenders. Today I sprayed them and the bed tubing with some rustoleum prof grade bed liner. I like the way it turned out.

My Other Builds

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
5/21/16 11:04 p.m.

What are your plans for finishing it? Paint?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/22/16 12:05 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: What are your plans for finishing it? Paint?

I have been leaning towards bed liner all along. I really like the way this looks and it was easy and inexpensive.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/22/16 12:07 p.m.
Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/22/16 6:39 p.m.

Terrific work, so quick too!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/24/16 6:23 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Terrific work, so quick too!

Thanks!

Closed up the gap under both doors. Some light sanding still to come.

Part 16 is now on Youtube

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
5/28/16 10:53 p.m.

Love it. How's the driveability?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/29/16 6:16 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Love it. How's the driveability?

I drive it every chance I get, while waterproofing it more and more. The ride is decent enough and the handling is actually pretty good as is the acceleration and braking. The lousy gas mileage gives me a chance to stretch my legs every couple of hours!

My Builds on YouTube

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/14/16 6:14 p.m.

Apparently, the Block Hugger headers are hugging the urethane engine mounts a little too tightly!

My Other Builds

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/14/16 6:39 p.m.

We have to put heat shields on our urethane motor mounts for that same reason. They're basically a consumable on my track car, but the shields changed them from "one per session" to "one per season".

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/15/16 5:32 p.m.

Today, I wrapped the headers in the immediate area of the motor mounts. If the mounts do not melt any further, I will go ahead and install new ones.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/15/16 5:37 p.m.

Also boxed in the area between the front of the radiator and the back side of the air scoop to keep hot engine compartment air from being pulled thru the radiator.

My Other Builds

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/16/16 7:22 a.m.

Nice looking ducting and scoops - I was wondering how you managed to keep that beast cool enough.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/16/16 11:59 a.m.

Totally amazing and inspirational build.

There's probably some super simple answer to this, but I can't figure it out. In your 'below the door in-fill' vid you used a sheet metal brake to do the 90 deg bend. Why did you hand form the one on the engine cover end cap rather than do the same?

Do you know what the wheel base is? I need to go back and re-read/watch the parts about the front suspension as it intrigues me.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/19/16 7:06 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Totally amazing and inspirational build. There's probably some super simple answer to this, but I can't figure it out. In your 'below the door in-fill' vid you used a sheet metal brake to do the 90 deg bend. Why did you hand form the one on the engine cover end cap rather than do the same? Do you know what the wheel base is? I need to go back and re-read/watch the parts about the front suspension as it intrigues me.

The pieces that I formed by hand were 4" too wide to fit in the metal brake! Also like the idea of showing how it can be done without expensive tools.

The wheelbase is 131" (10' 11") with an overall length of 14' 8"

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/19/16 7:21 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Nice looking ducting and scoops - I was wondering how you managed to keep that beast cool enough.

Thanks! It was 98 degrees yesterday so I took it out on the highway and thru town and sat at quite a few red lights to see how it would do

From what I have read, this is an acceptable temperature, but I would still like to get it down a bit more. With the seat heaters, I have found that I will not need a traditional heater. I have been looking into a way to add some supplemental cooling for the really hot days via the unused heater hoses. I ran across a trans cooler for the dodge diesel from Perma-cool that is 10.5" x 21" with 5/8" tubing that I can place in the right side scoop. Not sure how it will work with antifreeze so I am going to call the company to inquire. Any other suggestions?

My Other Builds

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/21/16 6:13 p.m.

The trans cooler manufacturer confirmed that the cooler well work fine as a supplemental radiator. It was waiting on my porch at lunch time.

Started installing it. When done, it will be boxed in with the air from the scoop being forced thru it at speed.

My Other Builds

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ueFa0U1cvRAebN30vdQB09q07nYraq0D42UvCN7w9gDiQfoXwIlw72BRPJdy85Ie