1 2 3 4
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/3/15 6:41 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: You're not right in the head. #and I love it! Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Thank You!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/4/15 12:32 a.m.
Ben_Modified wrote:
gamby wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote: Video of the Build so far
That's pretty awesome/wild. Aesthetically, the truck would look better with the front wheels located in the cab's god-given wheelwells, but who the hell am I to tell you what to do?! Plus, it'll look pretty wild stretched out like that and I'd assume it'll drive a bit more predictably. Regardless, looking forward to seeing where it goes.
By moving the wheels out from under the cab, I can get the cab much lower in the frame and I will not have to sacrifice room in the cabin. With the wheel wells filled in, I think that the lines will flow well. I also have a few other cosmetic upgrades planned.

Oh, don't get me wrong--this is going to be an awesome build!!!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/4/15 1:49 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote:
gamby wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote:
That's pretty awesome/wild. Aesthetically, the truck would look better with the front wheels located in the cab's god-given wheelwells, but who the hell am I to tell you what to do?! Plus, it'll look pretty wild stretched out like that and I'd assume it'll drive a bit more predictably. Regardless, looking forward to seeing where it goes.
By moving the wheels out from under the cab, I can get the cab much lower in the frame and I will not have to sacrifice room in the cabin. With the wheel wells filled in, I think that the lines will flow well. I also have a few other cosmetic upgrades planned.
Oh, don't get me wrong--this is going to be an awesome build!!!

Thanks!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/4/15 6:49 a.m.

I think you should put fuel tanks in the wheel arches instead of filling it in.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/4/15 4:33 p.m.

Frame back half is done

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/5/15 8:09 p.m.

I decided to add some gussets to the frame joints.

Also welded the Front Spring Perch to the front crossmember while I can still flip it in all directions for a good hot weld. This perch supports the entire front of the vehicle.

Frame so far

My Build Blog website

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/6/15 10:03 a.m.

Pretty much what i had in my head since 2013...i cant wait to see this

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/6/15 10:08 a.m.

Wow

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/6/15 7:21 p.m.

Frame is nearly done

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/7/15 12:16 p.m.

Frame is done!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/8/15 7:07 a.m.

Started attaching suspension

My Build Blog

Lonny
Lonny New Reader
2/8/15 8:35 a.m.

You are making quick progress.

We had a 1959 VW truck when I was a kid. We hauled motorcycles and dune buggys all over Texas with it.

A friend of mine had one he called bug foot. It had monster tires and was raised almost high enough to sit under it.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/8/15 5:21 p.m.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
2/8/15 7:19 p.m.

How will you handle the steering? Hot rod style?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/8/15 8:13 p.m.

Yes, I have a vega box with some steering shaft and a couple of u joints

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/9/15 5:44 p.m.

Front and Rear Suspension are completely connected.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/9/15 6:59 p.m.

You don't berkeley around much do you? I should introduce you to my friend Beer who helps me pace these projects out a bit

I like what you have done with the frame, but would be somewhat concerned about the torsional rigidity with a V8 bolted in there.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/10/15 5:56 p.m.

Started putting together the engine/trans/rearend cradle today. Also picked up 4 trailer fenders to make 2 VW big fat tire fenders

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/16/15 6:18 p.m.

Engine cradle is done. Engine and trans crossmembers are next.

My Build Blog

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/16/15 7:36 p.m.

My first car was a Splitty.

I love anything cool done with a Splitty!

Carry on!!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/17/15 5:58 p.m.

Built a hitch into the frame and setup the rear crossmember to accept tail lights. Also made up brackets for the parking brake

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/17/15 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified:

Your work makes my feeble automotive projects(and welding) look like craft-sticks held together with Silly Putty. Incredibly impressive skills and vision!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/21/15 3:27 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Ben_Modified: Your work makes my feeble automotive projects(and welding) look like craft-sticks held together with Silly Putty. Incredibly impressive skills and vision!

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for following along! Took a couple of photos of the motor and trans going in today.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/2/15 6:03 p.m.

Upper shock mounts

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
3/10/15 5:45 p.m.

Engine and trans crossmembers are rough cut. Will smooth out and weld in tomorrow.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6whkiPOLNhjuVFSetJcpz9N71FYFUNBA1nFCxGpUge18I6kgtAW08ukqFWe8dGQC