edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
2/3/16 3:46 p.m.

so i may be potentially getting a 01 ram 1500 sport with the 'off road' package. I have always understood that the auto transmissions in dodge trucks have been a weak link and has always driven me away from them but if its the right deal... you know how it goes.

The seller says that the trans had been rebuilt in the last year and has papers to prove it. What i was wanting to know if there is any good way to prevent future failures with the 46re. I have read a few things about turning up the line pressure some and adjusting the TV cable to help firm up shifts and help hold gears. is there anything else that the hive can suggest?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
2/3/16 6:57 p.m.

MY experience with this gen of chrysler is that the transmission was an intentional weak point and that every 80k to 100k miles it will go. Just kind of part of the game.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/3/16 7:14 p.m.

That's pretty much all you can do for any auto, keep it at optimal temperature(170-190), keep it from slipping (firmer shifts).

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
2/4/16 7:36 a.m.

yea that what i figured, was hoping someone maybe had some super secret way to make them last forever, a guy can dream though. Well if the truck checks out ill probably go for it, with the average rate that i keep vehicles in a year from now ill be trading it for something different

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/4/16 9:27 a.m.

Keep er cool and change the fluid on a regular basis and the 46re can last a while. They seem to last better after being rebuilt, depending on who did the rebuild. I wouldn't be scared of it. Heck my 92 Dakota is still going on the original A518 trans at 143K, an external cooler and fluid changes being the only thing done to it.

I used to have a Dakota R/T that the previous owner adjusted the tv cable and it did shift better. It did tend to downshift a bit too quickly though, which in the rain wasn't the best thing with the 5.9L.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/4/16 10:36 a.m.

Punch out the rubber check ball in the cooler lines near the radiator on the passenger front. It's a 'converter anti-drainback' valve, but it's been known to cause cooler flow problems and the converter drainback isnt a big deal. Every once in a while you'll feel something 'like' a 2nd/3rd gear start when you first put it in gear if you don't let the truck sit running for a few seconds. It's never bothered me and doesnt happen all that often.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
2/4/16 2:31 p.m.

I had a shift kit and transmission cooler installed on the current tranny in my Dakota. I agree with 81 cpcamaro about the fluid changes – the ten year old tranny I took out to install the custom one after the build had no discernible wear on bands and clutches.

CharlieFoxtrot
CharlieFoxtrot New Reader
2/5/16 5:36 p.m.

Is it a big issue with gassers? Moreso than any other brand? I figured the diesel guys are the ones with major trans problems, also pretty common regardless of brand. The 46RE is a TF727-based unit, just not as sturdy as the 47RE in my 96 2500 diesel.

Gut the cooler check valve as mentioned, just let it run for 30 sec after a cold start before engaging a gear.

Got any proof of the previous owner's rebuild quality? Add a Trans-Go shift kit.

Teh intarweb seems to say the deep finned pan like I have doesn't work on later transmissions like yours, though IDK if that is true. Add-on cooler is an option.

There's probably a narrow window of TV-cable adjustment between shifting soft and early or hard and late. That's what I've found with mine, anyway. And it's a PITA to adjust compared to a GM trans. Same principle, just badly executed.

You can add a trans temp gauge if you're working it hard. At least then you'll know to give it a rest and make further improvements ASAP.

Make sure the bands are adjusted right and keep clean fluid in it.

There are tons of $$$ upgrades if you need it to survive big HP and/or heavy towing, but I think the above is about the extent of easy/cheap mods. My trans rebuild & upgrades were done via the previous owner by a different shop and it's fine, but I like Suncoast Transmissions in Ft Walton FL.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zyuugpD2ISZtl8CbZp20J0Zn6m5PJRMMh9wF5HR8ttZCZ2UCd8ZO1Yk7trMb6BI0