3/19/13 8:35 a.m.

Very Cool! I like pictures!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/19/13 8:54 a.m.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/19/13 8:55 a.m.

As my son has gotten taller the race car has gotten lower ;)

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/20/13 7:39 p.m.

Parts arrived today.

84.4mm piston rings. This supplier got it right and did not screw me over like the last one.

Eh look 0.011mm vs 0.019mm.

I'll finish the exhaust work and finish building my motor.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 8:17 a.m.

Love the progress and photos! I have always wanted to go to mt treblant to watch some vintage racing, I have a friend who is from that th area and thats all he ever seems to talk about!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/21/13 11:19 a.m.

It is a wonderful track. Very smooth and once you figure out the rhythm oh it is magic.

I wish I could afford to race the spring and specially the summer event.

My race from 2010. http://vimeo.com/15331539

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/21/13 11:36 a.m.

Always like looking at on dates.

March 21st 2010.

Fuel system.

Tow hook. (Recently changed to a strap as per the 2013 rules set)

New dash. A guy restoring a big v8 chev has tossed this out. Fit my FIT really nicely.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/21/13 11:41 a.m.

Mar 19th 2011 saw an alternator swap. Yes I run an alt makes race weekend a lot easier to be honest. But to upgrade the oil system I needed to move it from the left to right side of the engine.

The bracket.

Top arm. Had to adjust the water hose and then go hunting for new belts which involved a lot of runs to the local suppliers for several different sizes to test with.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/21/13 11:47 a.m.

Mar 20th 2012

Sexy suspension parts. Rose-joints for everyone.

Changing out all the short links and pan-hard bar transformed the car. When I did the June race at Mosport the car felt so much better.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/21/13 3:19 p.m.

Not to mention those rear arms are subject to rusting internally and failing.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/22/13 7:10 a.m.

Yes I read about someone experience. The panhard bar cracked and the rear would do it's own thing. Kinda scary indeed.

For those who have driven Mosport. In 2010 and 2011 when I would go over the concrete patches it felt like ice. 2012 the car has the new links, lowered seat, alignment and the wheels were all balanced. Golden. I could drive the car almost anywhere. Just after 15mins the tires would cycle out. RA1's from 2003. Go figure.

I should try and paint those wheels.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/22/13 8:29 a.m.

I'm now also thinking while the engine is out of the way I should paint the engine bay.

• Remove/cover all the pieces in the engine bay.
  • Decrease everything!
  • Prep and cover
  • Paint white. Race car engine bays look great in white.

Might take a few hours but again the engine is out of the car!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/24/13 7:23 p.m.

This was a great weekend.

My technical sources all suggested I remove the heat shield from the steering knuckles to gain some clearance.

Worked great.

On the menu. Down pipe flange. I setup everything up and then tacked it all in place.

Then I made some tabs for the exhaust system.

Never make eye contact. It will provoke the untamed beast.

Welds looks like crap after I ran out of gas...

4-1 system but went from 1.5 to 2.25"

Covered in drill shavings and WD40

Managed to get everything tucked up nice and tight.

She's waiting for her new engine which I should have ready by the Easter weekend.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
3/24/13 7:51 p.m.

Nice work, I like the chronological show and tell! Makes me want to go racing!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/24/13 8:16 p.m.

Thanks.

It has been a hell of an adventure. Highs and lows. This season I'm hoping for more highs!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/24/13 8:22 p.m.

While on the exhaust subject.

The old one!

My great friends all told me my car sounded to quiet when I would go by them at the track.

Fair enough.

2.5" Main pipe.

Done.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/25/13 1:25 p.m.

I've decided not to paint the engine bay. It can be done next time the engine is out.

I looked over all the jobs that would/should be done and they out weighed beautification.

So tonight I will pull off the exhaust, header and block. Then I can continue to prep the new engine block to be setup. Still have some parts to clean. All the accessory covers and seals are still messy.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/26/13 6:55 a.m.

Another evening of good progress.

For 2013 we were asked in vintage racing to change the tow hook setup to avoid having them stick out from the bumpers/body work.

I simply recessed mine back into the body.

Drilled 2 new holes and cut the access material off the end.

Red locktite and bolted down to spec. The is the old bumper hardware.

Zip tie hold it in place and reduces the rattling noise ;)

vs old setup.

I removed the engine block and head. Then cleaned the bay up. I won't paint at this time. Goal is to run the engine during the easter long weekend.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/26/13 10:16 p.m.

Pistons, rings and block all combined tonight. My hands are good and tired after that job.

0.014" on the top rings, 0.012" on the 2nd layer. All within spec.

Photos are handy to help verify everything is where is supposed to be.

The lighter pistons #2 is that way because I had to remove the carbon to find the piston's size. Should be black again soon :)

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/27/13 9:17 p.m.

Before

After

@#$%^&* what a pain in the pan.

Torqued down the con rod bolts.

And installed the oil pump.

Covers and seals are next.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/28/13 10:31 p.m.

It was dirty parts night this evening.

First I repainted the header.

Then attacked the 3 oil seal covers. Yuk. Tada. They all came out nice and clean. I wont paint them as I do not want to fuss with the seals and taping them the areas off. Bin of clean parts I should be able to install tomorrow evening.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/29/13 2:21 p.m.

That gasket stuff is messy but she won't leak that is for sure.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/31/13 7:32 a.m.

Pilot Bearing was seized.

No big deal. Picked up a new one which promptly went into the freezer.

Attacked the inner race which was easy.

Outer race time.

I actually took the GT6 off the casters and got it out of the garage. The metal is tough but shatters so I decided to avoid damaging the cars.

Once I weakened the structure is was pretty easy to it out.

Used the dremel and a hook from a bearing puller.

Only 1 small nick on the crank which I sanded clean.

Installed. Used a piece of wood and a rubber mallet.

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 11:09 a.m.

Your Spider brings back memories! I owned THREE 124 sport coupes in the 80's (my buddy owned a spider and a '71 coupe) In order of ownership: a rusty '74 an even more beat '75 and finally a decent '73 that I put dual 40 IDF's on. I loved those cars, I loved the way they looked, sounded and most importantly felt on the road!!!! I've always wanted to build a fast coupe, one day, at least in So.Cal. they don't rust too much!! Keep up the posts!!! Dan

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
4/2/13 7:38 a.m.

Thanks Dan.

Oddly enough I've never driven a "street version" of the 124. But I can echo the handling comments. Very forgiving car and smooth. Working on bring everything up another notch for 2013. Summer of 2012 the suspension stuff really woke up the car. Fall 2012 I finally got the carbs to play as well.

New tires ordered, new power plant coming together.

For those who don't know the main web site for the car is.

http://www.124racer.com/

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Re88H6trE67MurM6IpT8KLpdhTufDS4gAERCwc3D4FbfJl4mOz9DlLPspehxZgbz