wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
5/21/22 11:52 a.m.

I don't have a super solid idea of what you're joining to what, but brazing is usually a good method of getting cast, and steel/forged/whatever metal to play nice. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/21/22 1:32 p.m.

That's a good idea. I'll investigate. 

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
5/22/22 5:20 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

At this point, I've found some hardened steel dowel pins and will supplement my tungsten pins with a couple of those. 

You spelled "replace" wrong. :P

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/28/22 9:12 p.m.

I'd do that if I thought there was any chance of being able to get them out! Tomorrow I'll have a look and get better pictures of the situation. And I hope the final (!) fix. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/2/22 6:50 p.m.

Got the cam pinned with hardened dowels so I'm calling that done  the tungsten pins wouldn't come out but they are captive with a ring around them so they aren't coming out  

Finally getting to the paint. Did an epoxy primer to start. I wasn't happy with how it came out- it has a ton of orange peel and some runs. It's been 17 years since I last painted a car so it took some doing recalibrating the gun and my technique. 

Hi build went on today after sanding out the runs. I only had a quart so I only got the body done. I'll run up and grab another quart of build and another of color just so I don't have to sweat it. Technique and gun setup infinitely better. I'm getting much more confident now. Debating on whether to cover all with another coat of epoxy primer prior to color. And if so, to tint that primer to make the blue pop. 

I like my garage paint booth setup- I bought a screen door for the big door and side entry door. Put a big fan in the entry door blowing out, so there is a very gentle out draft through that door with plenty of fresh air coming through the garage door screen. Can't smell anything in the house. Confirmed with very suspicious wife and daughter. I will probably take everything mobile out of the garage for the color/clear application.  

I'll get more pictures as I make more progress.  Also I'm getting addicted to YouTube painting videos.... so satisfying, and I can't wait for that clear to being shine to the color.

6/2/22 8:20 p.m.

WOOT!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/28/22 7:09 p.m.

Body and paint has been a slog. Color on today though. Clear in about 45 minutes. 

6/28/22 7:35 p.m.

Damn Fine work, Sir. Almost like a Ford Grabber Blue. I like.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/28/22 9:51 p.m.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/28/22 10:31 p.m.

A little nib and finish sanding for the light peel and she will be a "winner." By my standards of course. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
6/29/22 9:15 a.m.

Nice finish! Would you share what products and process you used? 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/29/22 10:11 a.m.

Yeah- it's Nason Full Poxy epoxy primer followed by Nason build primer, then PPG Omni MBPX base with duxone clear. 

Lots and lots of Evercoat Rage Extreme filler that almost entirely got sanded off.  Some spot filler. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
6/29/22 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Thank you. I also have good experience with the PPG Omni products. I need to switch to Evercoat Rage next time. Not the first time I've heard good things.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/29/22 11:31 a.m.

Looking great!!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
8/16/22 7:17 p.m.

I got lazy after paint. I have a fair amount of cleanup of orange peel, and may go for another coat of clear. And it's been ungodly hot. And for some reason people have decided they want to travel. A lot. So I haven't been home much this summer anyway. 

so, I installed the front suspension, found that the FM little big brake kit doesn't fit under daisy wheels. Which to be clear and fair they advertise only 94 plus wheels fitting. I was going on hope, but found that a 10mm spacer would fix the problem. Which requires longer wheel studs. 

Went on eBay and found all. And then said F this. FM is an awesome company, and I trust them and their products. So I purchased real ARP studs and their 10mm wheel spacers. All spins freely and fine. 

8/16/22 7:22 p.m.

Hot Damn, that's fine looking.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
8/18/22 5:27 a.m.

Those wheels look great. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/18/22 9:13 a.m.

Very nice. Have enjoyed the build and curious to follow the shake-down phase.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
8/23/22 7:59 p.m.

More progress. Got the rear in today. Put the wilwood calipers on yesterday and realized I ordered the same part number for front and rear. I would have gotten the kit from FM but at the time during Covid they didn't have the calipers in stock, and since the world was ending I figured I'd just order brackets from them and source the calipers form summit. Well, you may know that the rear brakes don't have vented discs. So the calipers are too wide for them. Also I am out the six month window for return to summit. So I ordered the correct ones and am going to have two beautiful aluminum paperweights. Anyone need some wilwood powerlite 4 piston calipers? Hahah

Lots of adjustment is going to be required, but I'll get there. Probably have to make longer pushrods to raise the rear a smidge, as I have a fair amount of weight to add with fuel tank etc. 

TL:DR: Progress! On its own feet and getting ready for engine/trans!!  

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/2/22 9:59 p.m.

More moves but it's all systems. Fuel lines, brake lines. I'm going to use a line lock for a parking brake- mostly will actually be just leaving it in gear, but I'll install the line lock for scientific purposes.  
'I'm triple thinking the damn intake cam. I'm going to call SBD in UK to see if I can grab a new non vvt cam set from them and just eat the cost of these ones. It will hurt but I don't want to berkeley up a freshly built motor.  
Anyway, got the rear calipers in and mounted. Working on alignment but will do final once everything is in. 
Steering column is in. 

9/3/22 7:25 a.m.

Such clean work. Keep it coming.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/5/22 6:05 p.m.

Got brave todays drilled the $$ low profile valve cover for the dipstick. Good news- it comes out the correct spot. 

Question-

Epoxy the tube to the cover or weld or braze? Both are aluminum. 

9/5/22 6:09 p.m.

J.B.Weld.

None of your answers are bad, though.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/5/22 6:58 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

J.B.Weld.

None of your answers are bad, though.

That response is sweet sweet music. Didn't know if that would be a total cop out, but this has almost zero load on it, and is probably what JB was designed for. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/5/22 8:37 p.m.

Forgot a thing- my son was home this weekend from his Guard stuff. He helped me out the windshield in its frame. I don't know how people do this by themselves.  

#1 bonus: the mini wheels look minuscule even next to 14" daisys. 
#2 bonus: my son is so awesome. The world will be better for him being in it. Not just because of the windshield. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OT3d5XriDnNT39wy27yQCAS9z4Su9BBEIB8iRtC988Mjicvnu1fRpG99k8M8TUTe