1 2 3 4 5
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/30/20 10:19 p.m.

Here is how I did a Mini. Still not as good as a rotisserie, but worked OK and only took one relatively weak old guy on each end to roll it over.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/1/20 12:44 p.m.

So, a gentle roll over onto some used tires? That could work for me- I can't imagine this shell weighs more than 500 lbs. 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
12/1/20 2:35 p.m.

We rolled a VW Bus in order to fit new floor sections and outriggers. Pretty easy and not at all damaging when done correctly.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/1/20 2:48 p.m.

And that's how they fixed wwII Jeeps 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
12/1/20 5:06 p.m.

The one consideration is the support the roof provided on the Mini. You will need to cobble something onto a Spridget shell to accomplish that function. Think tall roll hoop.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
12/1/20 8:48 p.m.

This is a photo of a homemade rollover stand for Midget. Have 6 other photos of the same stand at different angles and close ups. Also have a scanned to PDF doc of a Midget rollover frame made of plywood, 2X4's and a couple pieces of angle but can't attach a PDF here. Builds around the body and roll it over like a tube/ball.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/4/20 8:09 p.m.

I'm designing my suspension- would like to use miata parts- reasoning- if I can get by with cheap parts now I can upgrade all the way to fox stuff from flyin miata when I'm able. I'm well aware that they are designed for a car 700 lb heavier but I'm working with lots of miata parts.

So- what are the best, E36 M3ty miata coilovers available? CX has fairly professional looking E36 M3 for 600, and then max speeding rods for 250. I'd think that controlling a 1500lb car with a minute roll center would require very unsophisticated shocking.

Learn me?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/4/20 8:37 p.m.

Keith did a test of the maxpeedingrods coilovers for the na. He wasn't impressed. I used a set on the neon, and was. So, i don't think youll go wrong. May not go entirely right. Especially if you're thinking fox, but wont be wrong either. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/4/20 9:52 p.m.

Cool- I bet to "not impress" keith is pretty easy! Haha. I have zero track experience, and perhaps they would be the part that held the car off the ground while I got a little better and more picky.  $250 for four shocks and springs seems like a steal, regardless of shocking quality. 

The Fox-- I think this is how the kids do it- #aspirational

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
12/5/20 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Read Kieths review on here before you commit to a purchase. His big complaint was an application specific one for Miata. Duster's experience was a Neon application.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/6/20 5:42 p.m.

Hm. Ok. The fitting won't be a "problem" because I'll obviously be using them in a completely custom application. I'll try to search up his review.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/6/20 6:18 p.m.

Well, that was a read. Nope. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I guess I have to buy "real" coilovers.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/8/20 5:35 p.m.

Bummer- ebay parts style. Got a driveshaft allegedly for a 2006+ 6 speed manual. Wrong slip yoke. The trans output is 25 spline and the driveshaft I received is 22 spline. Sigh. So much for a cheap driveshaft shorten project. Hopefully the seller can send a cut shaft with the correct yoke. Probaby end up in a driveline shop for better or worse when the time comes.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/10/20 9:27 p.m.

So the seller was great about it- they had mis-listed- sent me a return label and it's headed home. Found another and it's on its way. 

Got into the "mini-tub" job yesterday and today. Took some doing because of some unadvertised reinforcement, but I won the fight on the drivers side. Passenger should go much quicker. 

I think I'll get 1.25-1.5" more room for a E36 M3 ton more work, but whatever. I want to get 205's under it, and this is what it takes I guess. Any more and I'll have to move a major structural bracket.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/10/20 10:25 p.m.

On the 1/4 elliptic cars that bracket only supports the rear bodywork and provides a place to mount the shock. Structurally, you can cut the car off after the rear bulkhead.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/10/20 10:43 p.m.

Yeah, but I'm going to use it to mount the ears of my independent rear- it's the sturdiest spot back there for us non- tube framers. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/11/20 6:37 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Boy I stepped away for a page and this escalated quickly! Is that your IRS setup there?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
12/11/20 2:39 p.m.

question, where do you find diff. axle lenghts for the irs ? the miata is quite abit wider then the midget..... thank you

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/11/20 3:29 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Boy I stepped away for a page and this escalated quickly! Is that your IRS setup there?

Yes and no- now it is someone else's. Haha- I sold that Midget in 2014 with that IRS under it. I'll do something similar this time around, but I'm concerned about the stress on the lower spherical bearing, so I am trying to figure that out in my head before cutting and welding steel.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/11/20 3:39 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

question, where do you find diff. axle lenghts for the irs ? the miata is quite abit wider then the midget..... thank you

Not sure exactly of the question- but a couple different ways if I understand what you are asking. The way I did it on the first one was take the width of the MIata- outside tire to outside tire. Same on the MG. Subtract the MG from the miata and you have the difference between the widths. Then divide by two and thats how much shorter the axle needs to be. It was easier because I also ran MIata daisy wheels. 

This time, I'll build the whole thing together- remove the axle shafts and measure the distance at ride height to get the correct length of axle. A little more precise and scientific, although last times method worked just fine. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/11/20 5:41 p.m.

Well, I thought I would take a (moderately expensive) gamble with 2016+ Miata front spindles. They are 4x100 with 56.1 hubcentric, so I can use daisy wheels. They are aluminum with bolt in hub, so I figured it MuST HAve TeH LiGHTneZZ!! 

They berkeleying weigh 9.25 lb. This is bare spindle with hub. No dust cover brakes etc. The NA spindles, which you can get for almost nothing, weigh 9.0 in the same configuration. 

As I am invested in them, I'll grab some 1990 NA front discs, and try to get a wilwood dynalite caliper bracket made and move on with my life. 

Bummer, I figured at least a couple pounds lighter.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/14/20 6:25 p.m.

One corner of rust repair complete. 
and some hammer forming on a hammer  meta pun!!!

pretty happy with it. Light skim coat will make it invisible. Now for the other rear lower fender, right sill, and right front wheel arch. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/13/21 11:20 a.m.

Got some more work done. Both wheel wells cut out for the tubbing, some floor rust repair, and cut out the front. Engine "in". 

damarble
damarble New Reader
1/13/21 11:34 a.m.

Good stuff! I'm stuffing the MZR's brother into a Datsun and the Miata bits really shorten up the package.

damarble
damarble New Reader
1/13/21 11:37 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Bummer- ebay parts style. Got a driveshaft allegedly for a 2006+ 6 speed manual. Wrong slip yoke. The trans output is 25 spline and the driveshaft I received is 22 spline. Sigh. So much for a cheap driveshaft shorten project. Hopefully the seller can send a cut shaft with the correct yoke. Probaby end up in a driveline shop for better or worse when the time comes.

I've done some research that suggests Ford C3/A4LD yokes may fit the Miata splines. I will know Friday when all my stuff is here. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKqVH5JSr4Z0CQqqS1s7JHCSPwH8cLMkqBkAjgh7EGDhhqKVoiEr39dHvDxQ4LV7