2 3 4 5
bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/2/14 9:50 a.m.

Well fun is the goal! Something different. Something pre-smog and street legal.

Maybe I'll start something and others will follow? I brought the first Neon to our local dirt track and now there are more than 5 Neons racing there. (and others are building more!)

I don't want to have to go to race tires as race tires will overwhelm the stock suspension and that means a tube chassis etc.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
3/2/14 10:07 a.m.

Wow! Great project!

bmwbav
bmwbav New Reader
3/2/14 10:16 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: A 2 door conversion is in the works. I have a pair of coupe doors to splice onto the front doors. I have seen others use the coupe doors but they are curved at the back edge and I don't have a coupe pillar. Not sure how that is going to work out, I am planning to eliminate the rear door, move the pillar back and make a pop out rear side window like the coupes and use a door skin to make the lower filler panel between the pillar and rear wheel to close up the remaining rear door opening. I can put the shifter anywhere I want by fabbing up some quick linkage. A lot depends on the rules, how far I can go with the motor placement... As best as I can determine for a front engine car no part of the motor can lie behind the mid point. But that may be too far back for a good weight balance F to R. Not sure if I want to go with a 50/50 or a 55/45 split.

I thought you were using the coupe you posted a picture of? The frame was bent in the wagon, right?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/2/14 10:27 a.m.

Not as bad as I thought and I picked up a whole new front suspension in very good shape.

I am a wagon guy for some stupid reason. If this does not work out (rust or it's bent too bad) I'll still have the Coupe. "She" has expressed an interest in the coupe so I may have to find another. Especially if her DD dies, the coupe is a runner and I received clear title for it.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/11/14 6:47 a.m.

Pulled the motor back out and did some final trimming. Pulled off the bent front suspension. Scraped undercoating off that was hiding the wrinkled panels. Ran a string center line to measure off. Cleaned new front suspension. Got beat by $5 on a Sweet power steering rack on Ebay. Traded some Harley parts drank beer and told lies. Pondered my approach to combat the tin worm infestation.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
4/19/14 9:26 p.m.

Scored a Sweet Power rack.

Solved the weak link rear axle issue. This one is good for 400hp.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/23/14 7:00 a.m.

What's that IRS from?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
4/23/14 7:22 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: What's that IRS from?

Supra, It's 60.5" flange to flange so I will not use the X-member and will have to shorten the axles. It's pretty cool, has roll steer and camber gain. I need to model it to see what is really going on. I'm hoping I can find someone local with the software as I want to model the front too.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/23/14 7:55 a.m.

Is that a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, like the 122?

I did some research into rear axle setups for my 122...I think I'm going to go to a Ford 8.8 out of an early 90's ranger. The Rangers with the 4.0 v6 came with 8.8's, and they were the narrowest 8.8 rear axles available- like 53" IIRC. Reason for the 8.8 swap is the above-mentioned 302 swap I'm planning... ;-)

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/2/14 6:13 p.m.

Yes 5X4.5" or 114.3mm

I was told the Ford (ranger?) axles are easiest to re-spline because the axle is not tapered.

53" is really narrow!!! You sure about that? If so that will go right under a 122.

I figuired if I am going to have to cut it down I might as well do a IRS and put some icing on it.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/2/14 6:20 p.m.
iadr wrote: If the powertrain is stock, then simply lowering the inner mount does the trick- AKA the Shelby or Guldstrand mod, depending on want domestic "camp" you are from. The factory steering is actually really good, no need to mess with it.

A quick power rack is better than the stock carp.

3.0L DOHC and a close ratio 5 speed set back a bunch will not change weight and should improve distribution dramatically.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/15/14 7:20 a.m.

Anyone familiar with AutoX classifications?

I wonder what class this would fall into?

Does this combo have potential in EM? (I think that is where it falls)

Is EM a race tire class? Is there a street tire variation?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/17/14 2:56 p.m.
Nashco wrote: IIRC, once you cut up the front wall you go straight to a modified class, where you will be eaten alive. Best to not get too concerned about classing with a project like this and enjoy playing with it wherever you land and enjoy the ride, IMO. Bryce

I'm guessing not many entries in this class. I may get second by default!

I will be happy with a time slip that is better than some expensive sports cars who think they are fast because. Plus the pride of having built it myself. And is a 45+ year old Volvo!

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 11:04 a.m.

Not much progress, I am working on a flipper and some Harley Hobby Shop projects to finance the next phase.

Anyone want a 65 Volvo 122 coupe project? Good B20 motor (resealed), rebuilt HIF carbs, brakes redone. No significant evidence of tin worms. Needs interior & minor body work and paint. 4 speed conversion available.

Ordered reference materials waiting for the mailman, Engineering to Win, Competition Car Suspension, Chassis Engineering.

Still looking for someone to share modeling time on their software.

Not stalled, circling in holding pattern.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/25/14 11:09 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Anyone want a 65 Volvo 122 coupe project? Good B20 motor (resealed), rebuilt HIF carbs, brakes redone. No significant evidence of tin worms. Needs interior & minor body work and paint. 4 speed conversion available.

I do!

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 11:42 a.m.

Still interested?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/25/14 12:16 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Of course, how much?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 1:20 p.m.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 1:21 p.m.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 1:21 p.m.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/25/14 3:12 p.m.

Berkeley! Thought you were in FL.

Hmm, fly and drive?

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/25/14 6:57 p.m.

That would be an adventure!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/25/14 7:06 p.m.

Did send you an e-mail. First one bounce back using GRM. Ended up resending using yours instead.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
5/25/14 7:22 p.m.

Mind if I ask what you want out of this?

This guy I know is getting his better halfs E46 BMW ready to sell and a 122 coupe is on the short list of replacements.

(Confession: it's me.)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/27/14 10:06 a.m.

I'd buy that and DD it.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXO62Z25XWZzbb6FSo9ZC9fC66atZz3Ru4odWu5GGcAtQDtUweUM1XeYMTP8mb5u