NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
7/3/16 5:58 a.m.

In board brakes!!!

very cool. pictures of the rest of the car?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/3/16 2:13 p.m.

I'm glad you made it over here. Remember seeing some posts about this project on another forum.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
7/16/16 7:49 p.m.

Sweet. I have a 70 El Camino and I'm thinking about going irs as well.

I say go ahead with the 327 and add a 5 speed.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/18/16 8:07 a.m.

Lowering a suspension below its designed ride height negatively alters the roll center.

It would make more sense to raise it for parking bumper clearance....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/11/19 6:59 a.m.

This thread needs more pictures!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
5/11/19 8:24 a.m.

Gotta love "project creep"! MOAR PICS

preach
preach New Reader
5/22/19 11:32 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/31/19 10:07 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Needle bearings are a unneeded complication. Just make brass bushings.( with grease paths ground into them)  They will last many times longer and take next to no time to machine.  

Towards the end I just used aluminum and it worked fine.  

The problem with needle bearings is only one or at most two take the vast majority of the load. Since the arch the suspension moves in is so limited the load is concentrated on a very small area and wear is rapid even if heavily greased

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/25/19 12:06 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

the rear suspension axles need to be level for proper geometry. You’ll notice the links from the diff to the hubs go downhill from the center to the hubs.  You can shim the mounts to get proper camber. Because I ran stiff springs on the race car, I found it best to have 0 camber at stock tide height.  I’ll look up the suspension geometry for the sedan for you if you want. 

When the rear end squats under hard acceleration the rubber bushings will help keep the camber near 0 without a massive change in toe.  ( you have to do some tricks to achieve the same thing on a race car where the whole rear end is solidly mounted).  

Those rubber bushings are both a blessing and a curse.  For example as you go over railroad tracks or on particularly bumpy roads there is a little bit of rear end steer going on.  Nowhere near as bad as the stock El Camino/Chevy rear end, but the later IRS used after about 1990  with the outboard brakes and a single shock per side, is better. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/19/19 10:03 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I love it when this thread is on Page 1!

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/25/19 6:29 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Very nice.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/9/20 8:38 a.m.

Bummer. I'd be tempted to put it together with the stock rear suspension unless those attachment points no longer exist.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Fw4uRNQk1sl0iK9k4l3gKxR9gvZknWjEwATIRb4bLkw5jKqV7ugRo3YPHM3MNiI