1 2 3 4
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/5/22 8:38 a.m.

What is the wheel base and track width this corona?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
5/6/22 7:52 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

What is the wheel base and track width this corona?

97" wheelbase and 55" measured at the outer edges of the front tires.

BlueInGreen - Jon
5/6/22 7:56 p.m.

So the stance-tastic 15" wheels that came on the crappy Echo? They're drilled for 4x100 and 4x4.5. Which means they fit on a 69 Corona 1900 Coupe.

I like.

BlueInGreen - Jon
5/6/22 8:00 p.m.

I think the body line that wraps around the front and rear fenders, accentuated by the chrome trim, is my favorite styling element on this car.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/6/22 8:50 p.m.

Great car with lots of potential. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/6/22 8:56 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Hey I own a set of those stance-tastic wheels.  Actually my second set.  First was 15x8 and this set is 15x9.  That's all I got to say other than cool car.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/7/22 12:24 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So the stance-tastic 15" wheels that came on the crappy Echo? They're drilled for 4x100 and 4x4.5. Which means they fit on a 69 Corona 1900 Coupe.

I like.

Those aren't bad. They look kinda panasport-y. Drop it an inch or so, and some very slightly wider and lower profile tires, and it'll look fantabulous...

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
5/7/22 8:39 a.m.

My parents had a 4 door version of this car until 1977. It also fell victim to the dreaded tin worm.

The wheels look like they were made for the car.

Good luck with the build.

BlueInGreen - Jon
5/12/22 4:02 p.m.

So while I knew going in that the interior would be a basket case and the car would need some major rust repair, there is a bright side.

Things like lights, glass, trim, etc seem to be present and mostly intact. So that's good!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/12/22 8:35 p.m.

I like the wheels on it.  Looks good and like a good fitment.  

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/12/22 8:43 p.m.

I bought a ‘74 Corolla that was rustier than that.  In 1983!    That’s a little crusty but it going to be awesome.  Get after it!  

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
5/17/22 9:03 p.m.

Cool article on a Corona sedan that was displayed at Pebble Beach!

Corona sedan article

BlueInGreen - Jon
5/18/22 8:32 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Hey, that's cool! Thanks for sharing

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/18/22 9:25 p.m.

Glad to see this went to a good home!

If it had been further West, I would have been seriously tempted.  If I didn't already have an early Capri project, I might have made the drive anyway...

My first car was a '72 MkII Deluxe sedan that I bought for $200, and I've always liked these cars.  Back in the 80's I daydreamed about a Buick GN engine swap... wink

BlueInGreen - Jon
5/27/22 8:43 a.m.

Well, no work on this one for a while, besides packing some extra sets of wheels and tires in it. We're moving into the new house in a couple weeks!

Super exciting, but packing up and organizing for the move has pretty much been consuming our lives lately.

Crazy how much stuff/junk just accumulates over time.

BlueInGreen - Jon
6/11/22 4:01 p.m.

What I've been doing instead of working on the Corona. I think the house is actually older than the car in this case.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/22 6:24 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Nice!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/11/22 6:32 p.m.

Does Toyota still make body panel parts or a company that bought the dies to produce them?? I would assume that someone has NOS panels lying around waiting to be purchased.  My parents had a Toyota wagon like that when I was a wee little tike. I believe we went to Canada on a vacation to Lake of the Woods. It was even blue like that one.  

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/11/22 7:22 p.m.

Engine-wise, they're extremely straightforward to work on. Look for cracks in the combustion  chambers between the valves. Stock looks will be mind-blowing and you'll never see yourself coming down the road from the opposite direction.  They're even scarce in CA now.

BlueInGreen - Jon
6/28/22 2:45 p.m.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but... If I can't get the current engine going I want to try to use the engine from the rear-ended 2001 Echo that is still hanging around.

I think the biggest challenge would be making the intake work, since it's all plastic and the maf is basically integrated into the air box.

Why? Because it would keep it Toyota, I have it sitting there, and (most of all) this is one of the lightest common "modern" 4 cylinder engines out there.

I was planning to pull the motor out of the Echo before scrapping the shell anyway so nothing to lose by playing around with it.

We move this weekend, and then I'll theoretically have time to start doing car stuff again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
6/28/22 5:37 p.m.

So, in theory if that engine uses a C series fwd box, it might bolt up to a T series rwd box? Totally guessing since the 4age fits both with the right combination of parts.

BlueInGreen - Jon
7/16/22 3:35 p.m.

Had some free time this morning so I went up to the shop, pulled the Echo in, and started dismantling things. It took about 10 minutes to get to this point. There isn't much to these cars.

It was nice to do some wrenching. My head needed to focus on something other than house stuff and unpacking.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
7/22/22 12:20 p.m.

Get rusty car

check

Put different wheels on it before anything else

check

You sir, are on your way!

I don't mean this in a bad way, you have done more on your car than I have done on my Eclipse with a bad head gasket that I have had for years now.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
7/22/22 1:58 p.m.

Thats a great choice of engine in my opinion, very cool

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
7/22/22 3:28 p.m.

Is that engine compatible with the Corona trans? What's the plan there?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u6rEVTlv3bVxHttedyHNXyWzRqkeayKznMVeDoJiwcujg6em3KVi7lSU7dqjN6Oo