1 2
RiverCitySpeed
RiverCitySpeed New Reader
3/6/16 9:41 a.m.

To get started, I, along with a few friends am going to be building a '71 240Z to play with in Rallycross in and around Virginia. The car came to me as a project a customer wanted me to build for them. After assessing the car, we came to the conclusion that it wasn't the car for him. It was basically a shell that had been hit in the front and has some of the the worst body work I've ever seen, and he wanted a very nice car built. We made the decision to find him a better car and to scrap this shell. (the whole time he was in a legal battle with the person who was previously "building" this car for him. I located a nice 280Z from New Mexico and proceeded to build him a car. A nice, rust free 280Z with a built LS1 and a 6 speed trans. Full Techno Toy tuning suspension (minus the rear control arms, which I built myself).

Fast forward to now. I still have this '71 shell sitting in the corner of my shop. It isn't worth building a nice car out of, and I have been being bugged by some friends to build a cheap race car. They really want me to build a Chump Car, but I don't have deep enough pockets to run a series like that. I really want to build a rallycross or rally car out of it, done up in Datsun Works, East African Safari lineage. Being a Z head, these cars are legendary. I've also been wanting to take a car to the GRM Challenge for years now.

This brings me to questions for the group of experienced GRM Challenge builders. What value will need to be applied to this free shell? I was thinking scrap value, but I wanted input from the panel. I build a lot of Z-cars and always take the stock parts off and put new custom, or high performance parts on them. I have a decent sized inventory of "good enough" stock parts. The 280Z, previously mentioned had newish springs, shocks, and bushings on it, that we replaced with new T3 coilovers, etc... I will be buying another 280Z parts car soon as well for whatever parts I don't already have.

This is what the car looks like right now (and how it was delivered to me).

Damage to the front I want it to look something like this...

Putting 280Z suspension under it will lift it up a bit for some dirt tires. The drivetrain will be an Explorer 5.0, T5 trans and a stock R200 rear. I acquired a free V8 Explorer with a bad trans (I needed to give the stereo back to the owner). So far, I have a car, suspension, and a motor and haven't spent anything. How does that work in valuation of the completed car in regards to the GRM Challenge?

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
3/6/16 2:31 p.m.

This has some promise. Love seeing old Zs get built up.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/6/16 3:12 p.m.

If you need help wrenching I'm just down the road, would be an awesome rallycross project, though more power is not necessarily your friend in the dirt so keep that in mind.

buzzboy
buzzboy New Reader
3/6/16 5:52 p.m.
RiverCitySpeed wrote: So far, I have a car, suspension, and a motor and haven't spent anything. How does that work in valuation of the completed car in regards to the GRM Challenge?

Assign a "fair market value" to the parts. I'd say scrap price for the body and junkyard price for the rest.

RiverCitySpeed
3/7/16 7:27 a.m.

Thanks guys for the comments. Buzzboy, that sounds like a fair plan. JtspellS, the Explorer 5.0 has about 100 more HP than a 240Z, and as we all know, everything needs at least 100 more hp than stock.. I've been debating on putting a carburetor and intake on it, but at this point, it would likely ADD cost to the project, since I have the entire Explorer.

So, everyone, stay tuned!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/7/16 5:16 p.m.

Nice, well LMK if you have any questions about local rally-x (btw, we actually run in Maryland not Va. for the DC region, unless you're planning to run with THSCC at VIR). You'll be running in my class ;)

One note: as someone who runs Chump/Lemons and also does rallycross and stage rally: If you can't afford LeMons, you DEFINITELY can't afford stage rally. Events cost just as much, but really you have one or two people paying for it (in most cases, the co-driver doesn't pay for entry, just the driver - kudos if you have a "team" willing to actually split costs even though they won't be driving). Rally-X, on the other hand, is pretty cheap.

Interesting screen name. There is a River City Rally team that runs an e30 in Rally America..

also, if you're on facebook join up with our page. It's mostly e30 guys, but most of the other local RWD rallycrossers are on it as well. dirty e-thirties is the name of the group.

RiverCitySpeed
3/7/16 5:45 p.m.

Stage rally sounds cool, but, like you said. Its costly. I want to stick to the rallycross for now.

RiverCitySpeed
3/8/16 7:53 a.m.

Found the most important part of this project...

bluej
bluej SuperDork
3/8/16 9:08 a.m.

awwww yes.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
3/8/16 9:37 a.m.

Purrfect. all my junk is leftovers, so it looks good to me.If you want to V-8 it I have an old Scarab bellhousing,chevy of course.

RiverCitySpeed
3/8/16 10:30 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Nice, well LMK if you have any questions about local rally-x (btw, we actually run in Maryland not Va. for the DC region, unless you're planning to run with THSCC at VIR). You'll be running in my class ;) One note: as someone who runs Chump/Lemons and also does rallycross and stage rally: If you can't afford LeMons, you DEFINITELY can't afford stage rally. Events cost just as much, but really you have one or two people paying for it (in most cases, the co-driver doesn't pay for entry, just the driver - kudos if you have a "team" willing to actually split costs even though they won't be driving). Rally-X, on the other hand, is pretty cheap. Interesting screen name. There is a River City Rally team that runs an e30 in Rally America.. also, if you're on facebook join up with our page. It's mostly e30 guys, but most of the other local RWD rallycrossers are on it as well. dirty e-thirties is the name of the group.

River City Speed is the name of my shop in Richmond VA.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
3/8/16 1:25 p.m.

Watching with interest.

RiverCitySpeed
3/24/16 8:34 a.m.

Started pulling the engine out of the donor last night!

I think I can squeeze 300+hp out of this 302. The motor is strong! I'm going to pull the heads of and give them a liberal porting. Need to find a cheap cam, intake, and carb. Still need a T5 trans.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
3/24/16 9:02 a.m.

Car craft has a good write up on a 300 horse 302 for a grand. Started with an explorer 5.0 and used new parts so you could do it even cheaper used. Just remember the gt40p heads need the spring correction kit or all new exhaust valves and hardware depending on how big of a cam you plan to run.

RiverCitySpeed
3/24/16 9:24 a.m.

I think I can do it for under $500 with used parts. I tell you though, people want real money for an intake and carb these days!

Not related, but, do you guys see the crap I have to deal with every day?

RiverCitySpeed
3/24/16 11:41 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Nice, well LMK if you have any questions about local rally-x (btw, we actually run in Maryland not Va. for the DC region, unless you're planning to run with THSCC at VIR). You'll be running in my class ;) One note: as someone who runs Chump/Lemons and also does rallycross and stage rally: If you can't afford LeMons, you DEFINITELY can't afford stage rally. Events cost just as much, but really you have one or two people paying for it (in most cases, the co-driver doesn't pay for entry, just the driver - kudos if you have a "team" willing to actually split costs even though they won't be driving). Rally-X, on the other hand, is pretty cheap. Interesting screen name. There is a River City Rally team that runs an e30 in Rally America.. also, if you're on facebook join up with our page. It's mostly e30 guys, but most of the other local RWD rallycrossers are on it as well. dirty e-thirties is the name of the group.

Man, I had the hardest time finding that group! I must be Social Network challenged.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
3/24/16 8:51 p.m.

Another S30 project! Awesome!

RiverCitySpeed
3/25/16 9:21 a.m.

And, there it is! I need to get the shell in a roller state here soon, so I can get this mocked up. Getting excited!

I can see this Z sideways in the dirt, now!

RiverCitySpeed
3/25/16 10:01 a.m.
crankwalk wrote: Another S30 project! Awesome!

I have lots of S30 projects! Some customers, some mine.

My 260Z, LS6, T56, 8.8 Ford IRS, 76mm Precision turbo. Genuine RS Watanebe wheels, no "Stance" BS.

Customers Series 1 240Z. Built L28, Extrudabody ITB's, Haltech PS2000. Going turbo so I built this plenum (also wired the Haltech) among countless other chores.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
3/25/16 12:32 p.m.

This looks like a fun thread!

Durty
Durty New Reader
3/25/16 1:14 p.m.

Great looking cars for sure. Good luck with the build.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
3/25/16 1:33 p.m.

My first thought was oh no - don't kill the 240... But upon reading it's clear you are giving it a new lease on life! Looking forward to a low hot rod. Can't wait to see airborne Z pics...

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
3/27/16 8:12 p.m.
RiverCitySpeed wrote: River City Speed is the name of my shop in Richmond VA.

Where in Richmond?

RiverCitySpeed
3/30/16 7:44 p.m.

2000 Tomlynn St.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
3/30/16 8:23 p.m.

got any more info on the 8.8 in your LS6 car? i'm expecting to blow up my r200 at some point. i have 26x10.5 slicks for rear of mine.

this is my $2015/$2016 car, hope you get done as it'd be nice to see another s30 there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mmLbgebcPFbrzBhheMXVE0mTQL2hqcrYLhoJkXg3KFJyoQGFYlsjDoZkayj2RD8b