2 3 4 5 6
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/6/18 6:49 p.m.

Irrs, I'm thinking of stopping just before the beam. Then using universal hoses to snake through the beam. 

Have you had ground clearance issues running down the center?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/6/18 8:05 p.m.

I would run on the outside.

Use straight pipes and some silicone connectors.

Or, just get a muffler shop.to bend them.for you.  Shouldn't be too expensive.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
8/7/18 5:37 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

So far, no clearance issues. 

I do see the hoses when walking across the parking lot at work, all the the way until I pass the last row before my car. So there is a astecic issue. 

I will get a pic and post it, it won't be until later this week, or early next, car is on stands, did the spring plate bushings and have to go back in and adjust one side.  Dont know if if was me or if some one tweaked them before to make up for the worn bushings. 

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
8/8/18 9:23 a.m.

been thinking about this for my 72 type 3 squareback ,  keep up the good work.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/8/18 2:07 p.m.

In reply to lrrs :

Good to know.  no rush on the picture, whenever you get a chance.

Tdrrally

Go for it. If you got the money I'd go the subagear route. May go that route at some point down the road. 

I almost bought a squareback back in TN. Had to many over projects when it popped up.  it was cheap and kinda regret not grabbing it then. Oh well

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/8/18 8:41 p.m.

In reply to lrrs :

Was just thinking, while it's up on stands I'd like a picture showing your coolant line routing around the trailing arms.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/15/18 10:21 p.m.

Ordered some parts up. Got a new radiator

Ordered up some coolant hoses. Looks like all will work good except one, so ordered up one more.

Worked on the tb elbow. I really don't want to admit the amount of time I've spent on it. This is the 4th one now, just haven't been happy with it. Like it now just need to weld the end plates on and cut to length.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/18/18 12:13 a.m.

Finally got the elbow made. All I got left to do is clean it up and weld on some nuts on the tb plate. Meant to get some at work today and forgot to. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/18/18 11:52 p.m.

Went to work on it today. But got feed up with the mess of the garage and thr ghia and my sequoia. Couldn't find anything so decided it was time to pick up.

Yanked the ghia out. First time I've had it on the ground with weight after the header installed.

Did put my fittings on the Bosch fuel pump though.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/19/18 7:44 a.m.

Just chiming in to say I love this project and have been following since the beginning. Keep it up! A Subaru-powered Ghia is one of those rare cars that will be popular with everyone, enthusiasts and casuals alike.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/19/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Thanks nice to hear people are following.

Went to mock up the fuel setup. Then realized I'm short 4 fittings. So ordered up 4 an fittings and 3ft of line. There's another $70.

But did put on my tank fittings to make sure they cleared and they do.

Also ordered a high flow pre filter. Was going to use a cheap plastic and paper one but was reading that could end clogging up with the suction.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
8/19/18 8:42 p.m.

Hanging on every word. Much Ghia/Subaru/Awesome love over here.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
8/20/18 12:43 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

It’s a relatively cheap if not easy doubling (plus) of the horsepower.

Stock a good running dualport is about 40HP. This will be a huge upgrade!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/24/18 9:59 p.m.

Alright worked on it a little. Got distracted while waiting for my fittings.

So I've always wanted to blacksmith. So decided now was as good as ever. Got a log to work off of. Using a chunk of railroad for my anvil. Need to get some lag and thick washers to bolt it down. But here it is.

So, I wanted to try making a knife. Just used my torch to heat up some threaded rod.

Then realized quickly I need to build a forge. Started on that then the fittings showed up.

Bit of my a.d.d. there.

But here's the ghia progress.

Tried to use the push lock hose I bought. Finally got fed up and used tygon from the tank to filter. I don't see why that would be an issue since there's no pressure.

Doesn't look like much. But after fighting for two hours with the push lock that's where I ended up.

I will have to run to work tomorrow. I apparently forget to get some m6 nuts for the shcs I'm using for the bracket bolts. And some longer SS shcs for the throttle body.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
8/24/18 10:49 p.m.

Forgot to add in thing I found.  notice something missing?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/25/18 5:23 a.m.

That’s impressive. At least they remembered the cotter pins I guess.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
8/28/18 10:47 a.m.

Looks like that squirrel is a few nuts short! ha!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
9/8/18 10:57 p.m.

Trying to decide if I want to run the fuel li escape in the tunnel or under the floorplans. 

Not sure which clamp style would be best either. 

Cushion clamps or ss hard clamps. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/9/18 7:02 a.m.

I like hard clamps.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
9/9/18 8:27 p.m.

Going with the hard clamps for hard line. I'll use cushion on the rubber sections. 

Started to run the lines. Got them in the tunnel. Need to cut a bigger hole at the engine side. Going to weld in a piece of tube for the lines to go through. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
9/10/18 10:25 p.m.

Got the tubes for the fuel lines in. Not my prettiest welds. Cord was fighting me, then the feed was sticking for some reason,  then I just stuck at overhead. And I have to get gas one of these days I hate flux core. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/20/18 7:35 p.m.

Clean up and garage and braced it up so I could get rid of the telephone pole out of the center. 

Now I have enough room to actually work on it inside. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/20/18 7:37 p.m.

Painted the tb elbow

Got the fuel lines through the tunnel. 

Going have to cut the tunnel so I can run the lines out the side. Then I'll weld the hole back up besides the holes for the lines to come through.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/20/18 9:22 p.m.

Outstanding!  I love seeing progress on this one.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/23/18 11:14 p.m.

What a pita it was to run the lines. Who's idea was it to run 3/8 steel hardline through the tunnel? 

After cutting a house hole I was able to run the lines. I'll have to weld that back up. 

Got to pick some rivets up for the clamps at work tomorrow so I can mount the clamps down to the pan. Also have to pick up some more stainless shcs to bolt the throttle body on to the adapter.  

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CyZmY6hl0vUuPP1KKCrx5LRzFgjs9ZMhxT0YtpqGNtVh4tyJnjk7CD3SENKocIYj