1 2 3 4
EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/19/13 7:48 p.m.

The task today was to free up the rear brake that was dragging. I took the drum off, cleaned everything and readjusted it so now it rolls freely.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/19/13 10:38 p.m.

Does anyone know how the air filter housing bolts on? I fit it over the studs but they don't reach all the way to the top.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/20/13 3:46 p.m.

Yes, stock.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/20/13 10:33 p.m.

Did you tow it home with the Miata?

Nice score! Now we need to get Miles' Mini on the road again and we can give you your own RallyCross class.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/20/13 10:38 p.m.

Nope, went with a trailer to be safe. I did just buy a tow bar to tow it behind the miata though.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
3/20/13 10:50 p.m.

I passed through the land which is ashy today but had no time to spare. I was thinking about you or more importantly, your mini. Some time soon and with better weather...I want a ride!

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/20/13 11:10 p.m.

I had a second interview in Columbus today so I was out of town most of the day. I'll let you know when I get it running.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/21/13 3:33 p.m.

Terrible cell-phone pictures of the airbox showing the mounting studs...any ideas how it is supposed to attach?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/21/13 5:48 p.m.

I DO have a Mini, yes including some front disc brakes and matching 12" Minilite wheels that I need to make go away badly. Drop me a line if you want to help me get them out of my garage.

GB Car Parts is my go-to spot for parts. And mine has a HIF44 carb, so it looks different than yours.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/21/13 5:53 p.m.

If the top just clips on that would make sense.I figured that since it had holes in it the studs were supposed to go through.

Minilites are tempting but I want to stick with 10s.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/21/13 6:00 p.m.

I may have missed it but is that a single SU?

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/21/13 6:38 p.m.

Sure is.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/21/13 7:39 p.m.

From that diagram or looks like I am missing the long wing nut...or it is hidden somewhere in the car and I haven't looked hard enough.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/21/13 8:28 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Sure is.

Cute! You may know already but I have found Marvel Mystery oil works well as the oil in the pots on SU's.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/22/13 6:50 p.m.

Got a new battery in today and it cranks over great but no spark. The pertronix won't be here until late next week so I'll probably replace the points and condenser tomorrow and see if I can get it to fire.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/22/13 6:57 p.m.

Towing it to get registered.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/22/13 7:41 p.m.

^Awesome picture!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
3/22/13 8:15 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

You need two wing nuts for that air filter housing. The lid should have two holes. One situated over the stud and the other over that stand-off over the air inlet.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/22/13 9:07 p.m.

We do things weird in Ohio.

nization
nization New Reader
3/22/13 10:26 p.m.

What DeadSkunk said. Your air cleaner looks just like mine. I have two long wingnuts that go all the way through the box and hold the top on.

Where did you get the idea to tow it with your MX-5? :P

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/28/13 5:49 p.m.

Still trying to get it started. The plugs are wet with fuel and starting fluid/gas down the carb elbow don't help. I have verified that all the plugs are sparking. The only thing I can think of left to do is check the static timing but I don't know how that would change if it has just been sitting.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/28/13 7:59 p.m.

Fuel, spark, compression, and timing. You need all four of these.

Are you playing with new plugs or the old wet ones that may be flashing across the porcelain when under cylinder pressure?

How GOOD is the spark? We want big fat arcs here. Do you have a dwell meter so you can check the points? I think I still have one, somewhere...

Is the fuel an actual, flammable liquid, or is it "fuel"? Note: I found out this winter, for example, that C16 is not very flammable below about 30 degrees, and even trying to assist with starting fluid or carb cleaner doesn't do anything but make the engine backfire through the intake.

Compression and timing, you're on your own there, although I will point out that the Sentra that I used to have had a habit of losing compression if it sat for over a month. Once running, it would come back, but trying to start it was a bitch. First time it happened, I thought the timing chain had snapped.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/28/13 8:30 p.m.

New plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap/rotor. Very good spark. The fuel doesn't look too bad, it isn't trying to fire at all, no sputtering.

I'll have to pull the #1 plug and make sure the rotor is pointing to the right place. After that I'll check the static timing to make sure it is close.

Haven't checked the compression yet.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/28/13 8:41 p.m.

No chance they are reversed, I triple-checked. There is a good possibility it isn't sparking at the right time but I never thought of checking where the rotor is pointing when #1 is at TDC.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/28/13 8:44 p.m.

TDC compression, not just TDC Did that one, one time. One time that I'll admit to, anyway!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1UdIqwqISn6kOhcw2cB7akFBPRfSz41C6zLv0y2QLWQJ4Kl3CEmEjGHyqAfbtYT