3 4 5
Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/14/15 8:46 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Made it to the gas station and back. Fixed the brake lights by wiggling fuses. I have an atc style fuse box to put on because berkeley glass fuses.

If those tubes out the rear aren't exhaust pies, THEY NEED TO BE!

Lookin' good!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/14/15 9:12 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Glass tube fuses in 74 Opels? My 70 uses NGC(?) Euro-style fuses. Different color plastic core for amp-ratings and flat copper strip for fusible part and is open, no cover. 70's era BMW & Volvo and VW used them too.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/15/15 6:58 a.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Those were the mounts for the bumper mounting shocks. Exhaust pipes is a good idea though. Currently the exhaust exits out the rust hole in the side of the header.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/15/15 6:59 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

It probably had the ceramic/plastic body fuses originally. Some previous owner thought it would be better to put 20amp glass fuses in every slot...

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/19/15 5:35 p.m.

I got the tachometer and new fuse box in. Magically the turn signals now work. I was going to plug in the speedometer cable but found out it had rusted out near the transmission and someone had shoved the remainder in one of the frame rails so it didn't drag on the ground.

The spare exhaust header that I am going to put on was rusty and I have wanted to try electrolysis. I got some scrap steel from the scrap yard for free and welded up a "frame" to sit in the tote and surround the header. I used soda ash from the pool supply store because I couldn't find the washing soda. It has been in for about 2.5 hours and I haven't pulled it out to check progress yet.

And stopped by my friends house who recently purchased this fine automobile.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
9/21/15 8:52 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Results on the header? 2.5 hours in the tank was 2 days ago, it should be brand new by now

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/21/15 9:06 a.m.

I'll have to snap some more pictures tonight. I left it in for about 5 hours each side yesterday and when I pulled it out it was too dark for pictures. It does look much better.

Drove it for about 10 miles yesterday. It needs a new water pump.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/21/15 5:46 p.m.

After about 5-6 hours in the tank the header looked like this:

Better, but still not great. Some of what looks like rust is residue from the rusty water.

So I decided to finish it off with a rice cake.

Just shot the first coat of paint.

And bonus picture of the tach installed.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/26/15 5:46 p.m.

This may be why the front end was so bouncy, looks like someone got sidetracked while removing the shock.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/26/15 6:33 p.m.

Looks like there is a missing bracket of some sort. Or am I seeing it wrong?

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/26/15 6:44 p.m.

Nothing missing aside from the bolt. The lower shock mount bolt goes through the hole below the spring.

Managed to snap 4 of the 6 bolts holding the header to the manifold. They are all half rust. Guess I'll have to drill then out and tap the holes.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XU4OaVJrwSIAdclRbZHxuaLw4mdWy5PctZdGVUv6xVramIZY3ksyTtzBileCtwsm