6 7 8 9 10
Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/1/20 11:12 p.m.

Well, I got the bearing races in place, greased up the new bearings and fitted the hubs. I may have to take them off again to install the new rotors when they arrive, but I doubt it.  I got the new (black powder coated) lug nuts and EBC "Green Stuff" pads in today, so I'm finally going through the calipers. Turns out the rebuild kits are just new pistons, rings and dust seals. I had thought to split the calipers, but now I don't really see any reason to... nothing in there but a couple of O-rings and fluid channels. I'll just be cleaning up the exteriors and replacing all the moving parts. Now I'm waiting on the rotors, new mounting bolts and washers, new shoes for the rear brakes, and new brake cylinders for the rear too. Hopefully the hardware for the rear brakes are all still good.

There are some confusing things about these Girling brakes, sourced from the Triumph parts bin. There were a few variants used, by both TVR and Triumph. Early cars used a Type P, followed by an "improved" Type PB, followed by a metric Type PB. It seems they only got as far as making the hard line fittings and bleed screw metric, as the remainder of the unit (and the car) remained Imperial (British Standard). I can find when Triumph made the changes in their production line, but not TVR. It looks like the rather crusty brakes from the TVR are the metric variety (indicated by an "M" stamped  in the casting) whereas the ones I'm rebuilding are non-metric Type PB from my donor TR6. Anybody out there know if the mounting bolts went metric as well?  I'm having a hard time interpreting the information gleaned from the TR forums online.

The castings are cleaning up well... I'm trying to resist the temptation to paint them, like red or gloss black!

On another note, I'm giving up on finding a Q45 (Nissan R200) differential. I've been looking here in NC, and Stampie has been searching in FL, to no avail. When I mentioned to Stampie that the '03-'08 350Z diffs had the right ratio, he said he had one of those on the shelf now. His price to me is the same, but the Goodparts install kit runs $110 more, and I have to ship the kit I have back (at my expense).  Still, I end up with a supposedly stronger unit, and one at least a decade newer... more importantly, available now. Then we'll have a rolling chassis again, and I can start looking at either the drivetrain or the body next!

If you have the old bolts you're undure of, or the parts that they thread into,  ive got some nifty theead check gauges we can use to figure it out. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/20 5:44 a.m.

What q45 diff are you looking for?  They're not cheap.  1st gen vlsd ones usually sell for $500 on ebay because drift tax.  2nd gen ones go for slightly less because 5 bolt stubs(i boned up and scrapped one with a car in april).  3rd gens aren't factory lsd so worthless by comparison.

I have one in a 94 that i would do $300 on ($500 minus ebay fee minus $50 shipping minus $50 for no ebay headaches minus $50 grm discount) and get it to NC when chandler comes to pick up the dakota from michael but that's as low as i can do.  LSD works great.  

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/2/20 6:49 a.m.

My brake mounting bolts are 7/16-20.  Sort of an unusual size.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/2/20 8:12 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

My brake mounting bolts are 7/16-20.  Sort of an unusual size.

That doesn't seem to be an unusual size for British. That's also the wheel lug size for most British cars, including TVR/Triumph.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/2/20 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you, Patrick!  Although your price (absolutely fair, mind you) is triple Stampie's offer, the fact that I'm set up now for the Q45 diff and that it can be delivered here makes it an appealing offer indeed! I'll be in touch!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/2/20 12:13 p.m.

Caliper mounting dimensions are the same between metric and inch series Girling calipers. Girling did not know what they were going on when they made them, and Triumph et at never made a metric dimension suspension part for a TR6.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/2/20 6:29 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks TurnerX19... that is the impression I had too.  

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
9/5/20 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

If you want a unique project - even more unique than a neon acr and more like this thread and mine - I can fill you in.  It's not far from you...

Not that I’m not already drowning in projects, but I’m interested. 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/5/20 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Yeah, I was kinda waiting for a follow-up comment from Scott, too! So, what's the unique project?

9/5/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

There's another M posted for sale for $5500 on the TVRCCNA site.  It's in Hillsborough.  Nice paint.  Toyota 1.6 twin-cam.  The hoarder in me wants it...

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/5/20 1:54 p.m.

Finally got the new rotors and associated hardware yesterday... the EBC  "green stuff" pads came last week. True to form, I had to do everything several times before getting it right.  As you saw in previous photos, I got the hubs together and installed. Then I had to take them off to put the rotors on the hubs, as they bolt on from the back. No problem, until I went to install the calipers.  The dust shields need to go on behind the rotors and bolt on with the calipers.  So, off came the hubs and rotors (again) to get the dust shield in place.  Of course now the whole assembly is getting a bit heavy, weighting down the suspension, so I went back to my "original" material struts, but with 1"x2" instead of 2"x4" wood. Hopefully my GAS shocks will be coming before I load the suspension much more, or I'll have to come up with stronger substitutes!

9/5/20 1:58 p.m.

Looks awesome, Stu.

I'm really loving the ARP wheel studs.  So easy to get a wheel oriented and mounted, and then the nuts just spin on.  Funny how the little things can make a big difference.

I just noticed your sway-bar mount isn't all mangled.  Cream puff...

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/5/20 2:00 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

I'll have to check that TVR out!

9/5/20 2:13 p.m.

Not totally clear from the ad, but it might actually run and drive.  How novel.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/5/20 2:16 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

That TVR in Hillsborough NC is pretty nice.  Interesting engine choice (Toyota 1600 twin cam). I have one of those with the 5-speed, from a Corolla GTS, sitting in my garage for my Locost 7 project. Hmm... a lot less weight, more power than the (stock) TR6 engine, 5-speed.  That's a tempting combination that I had never considered!

9/5/20 2:19 p.m.

There was the 1600M in the UK with a 1.6 Kent engine.  Sorta the same idea.  I saw a similar Vixen being sold in Utah for mega-bux.

You've not mentioned a Locost project - details?

9/5/20 2:35 p.m.

Yup, give the ball joint a little thump with a mallet.  Pulls up just fine after that.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/5/20 4:46 p.m.

Yeah Scott, I brought a Locost 7 project with me from Arizona 3 years ago.  Sat in my yard in AZ for a few years before that.  A bit of a story there.  A friend of mine called me about a buddy of his, going through a divorce, having to clear out of his house by Sunday.  This was a Friday.  He had (among other stuff) a 75% completed frame, A-arms, nose cone and rear fenders, Toyota 1600 twin cam and 5-speed, RX-7 GSL-SE rear axle (LSD), wiring harness, 2 F.I. systems and the "Build a Sports Car" book that had to go that weekend.  $500.  I couldn't say no. 

It is a car (Lotus 7) that I always wanted, at a price that barely even required mentioning to the wife!  The fact that it's really just a pile of parts and welded tubing didn't deter me in the least.  When I got here I was going to build my dream garage/shop and build it.  Then the TVR showed up, and it having been a REAL CAR in some former life made it seem like the better starter project (although now I wonder)!

I've kept the engine (a 4AGE 16-valve twin cam "red top" with distributor ignition), transmission, and assorted parts in the garage, but the frame is looking a bit weathered.  I figured I'd start it when the TVR was finished, if the budget recovered sufficiently.

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
9/7/20 12:58 p.m.

There's another M posted for sale for $5500 on the TVRCCNA site.  It's in Hillsborough.  Nice paint.  Toyota 1.6 twin-cam.  The hoarder in me wants it...

YES! Dodged that bullet! It’s a ‘76! 

9/7/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

What's the reason behind hating on a 1976?

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
9/7/20 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

What's the reason behind hating on a 1976?

Cali life. ‘75 and earlier are smog exempt. 

9/7/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Ah, right.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
9/10/20 4:15 p.m.

Whoo-hoo!  Got a delivery today I wasn't expecting... my GAZ coil-over shocks from England showed up!  I figured TVR Scott would get his, and then I could expect mine a couple of weeks later, based on when they were ordered.  It's a good thing they're here, as the 1"x2"s I'm using now don't look like they're up to the job. I'll get a shot of them installed soon.  Got to start prepping the TR3 for Saturday's autocross though.  Ugh... looks like rain in the forecast!

Our kitten Grendel thinks they're pretty cool!

9/10/20 5:12 p.m.

Aw man, no fair!

And they sent a free cat too!  I would have been happy with a sticker.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yunhgdvB90bSuIkbnwXrUfNhpw2e3fh1fo9Yq14bXgQ47voCPbOrufPfYz9zgiKV