11 12 13
classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/7/18 8:46 p.m.
MulletTruck said:

Cool, I worked on the corner of 11 and Woodward for a couple years while living in the Romeo area.

Whats the plan once you get it on the road? Just drive the wheels off it or tear it back down and polish it up a bit? 

Super close to my house. I'm planning to drive it until something breaks, which I'm guessing will be soon honestly. I'd love to rebuild the body harness over winter, and I'm 100% sure there will be more projects from there. Finishing/cleaning up the interior, engine bay, all of the wiring, etc. But I do just want to get it running and driving before winter to get some seat time.

Speaking of which, my new battery cables came in! Jegs cables, terminal covers and clamps (for running the cable along the frame) came in. Which means I'll actually have to go buy a battery now, and get that rigged up. I do have to figure out whether or not I need the factory starter solenoid, which was separate from the starter, or if I can wire straight to the starter solenoid on my new mini-starter. We shall see. Plenty to tackle this weekend.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/8/18 3:35 p.m.

Here's another picture of the cooler battery box. In front is the toolbox drawer mat I took out of an unused drawer that will hopefully isolate some fo the vibration between the cooler and the bed floor. Also pictured is the new Power Distribution block that will hopefully split power off the main line to the starter and the alternator wires. I also bought new alternator wire!

On this side you can see the existing drain hole that I'm planning to run at least one cable through. I'll need to drill another to match on this side as well for the 2nd cable

I also bit the bullet and went ahead and bought the battery I need. It fits with a ton of room to spare - next up is to fashion a hold down! (and turn the battery 180*)

Hoping to do some more work on getting all this put into place/ the wire run tonight. I also got some wire wrap, and I would like to run the power cable along the outside of the frame, since the exhaust should be running inside. That's my plan for now, anyway!

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
9/10/18 12:07 a.m.

Oh hot damn I like that a lot.  Now that's a battery relocation done right.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/11/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

I hope so! I still need to figure out whether or not I'm going to run a circuit breaker, but it seems like the thing to do. The original Merkur wiring also included an "external" starter solenoid, but the new Mini-Starter has one built in. It seems like all I would have to do is skip the external one, but that still feels strange. 

In other good news, I think I've found a "used" radiator that will work - spoke with the guy on the phone today to get the overall dimensions that should fit within the frame rails, I'll have to check vertical clearance when I get home tonight. 1966 Mustang 6-cylinder to the rescue!

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
9/11/18 11:29 a.m.

I know guys used to use the early v8 Mustang rads when they’d put V8s in these. Might want to look into that. I believe there is some very minor trimming required.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/12/18 8:23 p.m.

Picked up my new radiator tonight - the guy I got it from said he put it in the car but never ran it. Seems really clean and measured right so I brought it home.

aaaaaaand it fits! By the skin of it's teeth. I'll have to hope I don't need to mess with anything on the front of this engine very often. There's maybe 1/8" of space between the water pump pulley bolts and the radiator, but that's enough.

The sides are actually even narrower than the stock Courier radiator somehow. But it looks like it will tuck below the top of the radiator support, which would be nice. Next up will be making mounting brackets!

Passenger side: 

Driver's side:

And of course battery work goes on. Finished the battery hold-down setup, so now I should be able to set the whole deal in the bed and figure where I need to drill. Headed up north this weekend, though, so this will have to continue to be an hour here and hour there kinda work.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/29/18 3:25 p.m.

Been gone the last 2 weekends and  a week in between, so slow progress. I've been re-building a battery tray from scratch, in more pieces, that will make me feel better about the whole operation. Pictures of that to come once it's done. 

In the meantime, I had a few friends over last night and we managed to get some work done!

Old gas pedal removed, and the new one has a cardboard template - it got too late to make it out of steel last night. Neighbors wouldn't have liked the noise..

Throttle cable installed. It'll need to be cut to length once the gas pedal is in and attached, but it's at least mounted and will work now! 

We pulled the exhaust manifold back off, and put the turbo on. This way intake/exhaust can begin to come together.

Speaking of which, I think there's just enough space between the frame and the transmission to run an exhaust! Going to have to find some decent heat shielding for the firewall/trans tunnel.

The trans tunnel will be it's own project coming up soon!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/2/18 8:29 p.m.

Cut some of the pedal mounting pieces for the new gas pedal out of steel the last few nights. It's in a bit of a tough space, given the relief where the old pedal went through the firewall, so I laid out the bracket as a triangle instead of the vertical rectangle I had intended before. I will plan to use captive nuts on the firewall to bolt the flat part to, and weld the "extension" to that piece. Looks like it'll give a full range of motion, and the throttle cable will thread through the firewall above the slot for the original linkage.

Until the next time.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/11/18 7:34 p.m.

Still chipping away on getting my battery hold-down set up and going!" /> Made some progress tonight:

The bigger picture:

Still need to drill holes, and get captive nuts in the square tube across the base. But it's one step at a time!

" />

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/21/18 6:21 p.m.

Battery hold down is complete! No pictures. The last part I need is to weld the bolts on to the spreader plates that will go under the bed, with the bolt coming up through the bed/cooler/battery tray, and borrow a drill with a 1/2" chuck so I can use a hole saw to open it up for the wires.

I had been getting increasingly frustrated with the layout/space in the garage as I added tools and took away floor space. Most recently, I got a slip roll, a heavy rolling steel cart (Had intended to put the bead roller on it, but that is unlikely to happen now), and a combo belt/disc sander. I also need to be able to replace the fuel pump on the driver's side of the car, and have easy access to the floor pan, and none of that was possible. 

Last week, I ordered the 6-pack of Barrina LED fixtures for so cheap (link) and the 4-ft extension links with them. On Friday, I got 3 of them put up, and got the main workbench I use up on casters to make it easier to move around. 

Today I moved a shelf from the back wall to the side wall by the other shelf, toolboxes from the right side of the garage to the back left, and a few other things shifted to the right side, including floor jacks and the combo sander. 
I also got the courier a little more centered in the garage. 

All the new lights are awesome. Even with only a few of them  hung the difference is immense. I have 2 more to hang up, and I think the lighting in the garage will finally be really good going into winter. Pictures!

After: Garage Right Side

During:

Also during:

(I also got the lawnmower/weed whacker cleaned up and put away for the season in a place that's at least mostly out of the way!)

Next update will hopefully contain more Courier related updates..

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/21/18 6:58 p.m.

... Aaand an updated night shot (or two)

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
11/4/18 4:07 p.m.

Got a little bit of small progress this weekend. Yesterday I went out and "whipped up" a bracket for the ignition coil. It holds it right at the bottom of the inner fender. I got it welded in today, and it feels sturdy. We'll see if it holds up.

I also spent some time cleaning up this steel cart I got a little while back, and I'm going to use it as a welding cart. I happened to have an Oxy-Acetylene cart around, so i cut the wheels and top off so I can weld the tank-holding portion to the cart. This way I can be setup for MIG before I replace the floor pans.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/4/18 4:21 p.m.

Man, I love seeing this build pop up again. You continue to chip away at it, and it'll eventually get completed. Also looks like your fabrication skills are improving

11 12 13
Our Preferred Partners
NlOA3BM0GvRoZdQhZzzUhV2ZtEZPczZ6IuHwK0SgxDB6fU3tWtLuMGnzzbTl2LSl