3 4 5 6 7
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
10/6/15 11:33 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets:

You could call it the "odd-ball" or something

I'm very disappointing in myself for not catching the odd-numbers. I go bonkers of things like that.

Too bad it's not a prime number. divisible by 7... which is odd (pun intended)

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
10/6/15 12:41 p.m.

well, it is a model year 75, so that already fits in. 9-75-31. Divisible by 7, like Hungary Bill mentions, 13933 times 7. I'll keep thinking on it.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
10/12/15 12:07 a.m.

I'll have to put some more time into that, too! Interesting thoughts already.

Finally took the time to get the engine on the stand and taken apart. It's been really fun to actually see how/why everything works together so well. None of the bearings had much going on in the way of scarring/scratches, but almost all of them appear to be getting worn.

Before that, this fell out of something when I flipped the engine on the engine stand. Any clue if it should be there ( I assume it should not).

Found some interesting things while in there. Namely, the labels for cylinder numbers on the piston and rod caps Read: " 3 1 4 2 " from cylinder #1 - 4, which would seem to confirm that someone had been in the engine before.

To add to that, I found this marking (010) stamped into the crankshaft. If I didn't know it had been apart, I would think nothing of it. Instead, I'm wondering if it means the cylinders were bored out some? I guess I'll ask the machine shop to check that? You can kind of see it beneath the "ID" text.

Misc:

So, should be running the engine up to the machine shop on Tuesday. Planning on just a clean, hone, and re-freeze-plug. Will bring and ask about getting my flywheel resurfaced as well, but that's not quite as urgent probably.

Final question: Should I bring the crank and see about getting it cleaned up too? There are two lobes that have this stuff on them. Doesn't scrape off with a fingernail and I'm hesitant to do more.

Doug

dinger
dinger Reader
10/12/15 10:46 a.m.

The 010 stamping on the crank means that it has probably been ground once to clean up the surfaces, and they took 10 thousandths of material off (.010") either the main journals, rod journals, or both.

If it were me, I would take that crank to the machine shop also and see what their opinion is about cleaning it up. You can easily take another .010" off of that crank and be plenty strong, just have to use the right sized bearings.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/12/15 11:01 a.m.

The hex shaft goes between the distributor and the oil pump - it's the drive for the pump, make sure it goes back in (or is replaced with new).

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/12/15 11:43 a.m.

had you loosened that one connect rod already? or was there really that big of a gap on it?... b/c that's a huge nono... most of the time the rods/cap should have no discernible gap.

Robbie
Robbie Dork
10/12/15 11:57 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: had you loosened that one connect rod already? or was there really that big of a gap on it?... b/c that's a huge nono... most of the time the rods/cap should have no discernible gap.

Bolts are all loose, looks to me like he already loosened them.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
10/12/15 2:06 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

You are correct, I took that picture towards the end of everything coming apart to show the numbered rods/caps being in different locations than what the numbers read.

Thank you SkinnyG, great to know about the hex shaft. Not something I would have guessed.

Dinger, I'll bring it with me. The good news is I had waited on ordering rings and bearings to see what the machine shop said about sizing. The bad news is I'll have to spend the money on new rings and bearings . No question it'll be worth it, but it stings. New rings will run $80. Guess I need to start selling off some of my extra stuff!

Skervey
Skervey Reader
10/12/15 3:03 p.m.

I know the pain we have an expensive hobby! Also on another note when you get ready to start up the motor for the first time you can run a drill onto that hex shaft and spin the oil pump. That way you get oil pumping all around the motor and make sure it build pressure and the oil pump works. Just something I learned doing my swap and thought id pass it on.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/1/15 11:51 p.m.

Nothing really to update, but I got a few pictures in tonight that I thought turned out pretty well. I realized I don't have very many since I got the new wheels put on. 1st and 2nd pic were using the "Night" setting on my phone, the 3rd was with that off. Managed to get these in around the light rain that started here in Atlanta tonight.

I also learned that the "Leaky windshield" I've been having problems with isn't the windshield at all, but a few small rust holes on the cowl shelf that water just runs through. Makes tons of sense but is probably going to suck to fix!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/2/15 12:35 a.m.
dinger wrote: The 010 stamping on the crank means that it has probably been ground once to clean up the surfaces, and they took 10 thousandths of material off (.010") either the main journals, rod journals, or both. If it were me, I would take that crank to the machine shop also and see what their opinion is about cleaning it up. You can easily take another .010" off of that crank and be plenty strong, just have to use the right sized bearings.

Mic the crank to see if the journals are within spec for roundness. If they're round, see what a micropolish will do. If you take another 10 thou out of that crank, it may need re-hardening.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
12/3/15 11:52 a.m.

Truck looks good man! The iphone does some amazing photos!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/3/15 1:36 p.m.

Thanks! I actually have the Galaxy S4, but it still takes pretty good pictures. I haven't tried/don't care enough to try editing them after shooting, so whatever it takes I roll with haha

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/3/15 1:47 p.m.

Are you building the engine in the fraternity house? Cause I see greek letters, old couches, and red plastic cups. ...

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/3/15 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

.... I might be... This semester I am. I'm moving out of state for work next semester, so it'll be getting put together on a kitchen table whether my roommates like it or not. But yes, disassembly was in my fraternity house. I boxed things up pretty quick and it's in a quieter area of the house, believe it or not.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/3/15 3:00 p.m.

THAT is GRM as E36 M3!!!!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/3/15 3:17 p.m.

Lol it's gotta get done and this is where I live haha! What's better.. A couple buddies and I made the wooden workbench you can see with the crank and bearing caps on it, but the black surface on top is an old lab countertop I pulled out of a dumpster on campus. 1" thick, gotta be 7' long and 100 pounds. Great work surface though, and hard to beat free.

(I actually have a second, slightly smaller one of those countertops with a sink/drain still in it if anyone in the Atlanta area wants it for free)

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/5/15 7:52 p.m.

Had some issues today when I was out and about. Nothing completely detrimental but almost had to pull over on the side of the interstate. Not sure what was causing it, but I have a few things that could be contributing. Seemed to only act up/stutter during acceleration, and was almost completely fine once I was over 60. Last time I had the distributor cap off I remember thinking that it looked more worn than I would have expected, so I'll check that and my points gap again. Otherwise, my fuel filter looked like this:

So it's time to replace that again. Hopefully the issue will either go away, or those adjustments will bring it back to perfectly drivable.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/6/15 6:58 p.m.

Well, was taking my truck up to Caffeine and Octane (once monthly ATL area car show this morning and it acted up way worse than the early part of yesterday. Was probably a dumb move, but I needed to get the engine hoist from my place to a buddies that was about 5 minutes from the show. So, yup. It died. Parked it and just got to the show. After, we went to get my truck to my friends apartment (about 2 miles away). Made it like 1.5 miles and then had a massive backfire and heard some scraping. Berkeley.

Pulled over and looked underneath to find this..

It already was barely attached, I put a clamp on it as the previous owner/whoever touched the exhaust didn't know the pipes were meant to be more than just pushed together. Made it about 300 yards after that and had to stop. Parked in a really nice neighborhood for a few hours while we pulled a block, then went back and got a tow .

Truck is at a shop and I'm really just hoping they'll be able to get to it by the end of the week. I'm still pretty sure it's something in the timing/ignition range, but we'll see what they say.

On the plus side, I have straight pipes now and I'm excited for that

Skervey
Skervey Reader
12/7/15 8:26 a.m.

Man that sucks! Old cars man... You sound like me back in school building motorcycles in my college house on the kitchen table or pile of parts in my bed room!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/7/15 9:13 a.m.

Old cars is right, haha. Exactly how it is! Off semesters (when I'm working) I have done/will be doing that. Have an engine to reassemble this spring and will only have an apartment to do it in, haha. Told my roommates to get used to an engine stand in the living room.

Normally I wouldn't have had it taken to a shop, but finals are this week and I just can't spend the time diagnosing and fixing it when I need it to be running.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
12/7/15 11:20 a.m.

Stick with it man! I enjoy reading your thread, and I think your truck is pretty great.

Most all of us here can relate to the issues you've had recently. I know it hits close to home for me!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/10/15 12:29 a.m.

Ended up just being an ignition coil gone bad. They had it ready yesterday and I got it back today. The exhaust (or lack thereof) cracks me up. I'll probably still weld it back on when i get home but it's awesome cruising around with it off.

Wish me luck tomorrow as I head into the first 2 of my 4 final exams for the semester..

Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/10/15 7:30 a.m.

Good luck! I know how stressful this time last f year can be for college kids.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/10/15 11:02 a.m.

Great thread so far the build is seriously awesome to read. Sucks that all that happened at the same time but at least you it's fixed so you can get around. Looking forward to updates.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uKlb7AQrC85INq3oHxwEpvDTnljxNDE8FQyoU96wwr5m11Zk4PNptTFWmh3Erw8s