3 4 5
GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
12/6/22 6:46 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

The shifter drum that makes up the column under the wheel was the part in need of replacement. It is made of pot metal and had worn where the chrome shift lever pivots. Pulling it apart showed that the inside was even more worn. I got the replacement from either LMC truck or NPD which have pretty good coverage for this generation. It was a bit of a guess at which column option it was, but I got it right.

Don't get me started on old Ford turn signal mechanisms.  This one luckily survived the R&R.  I have an old Mustang that is on its 5th or 6th aftermarket turn signal switch.  The reproductions are all garbage, having tried them all.  Talking with the Ford parts places there are no better options currently. I can replace one in about 20 minutes though.  

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
4/5/23 4:59 p.m.

Now that I have spent all winter screwing around in the snow with various conveyances it’s time to get the truck back in action. I did get it out of the garage on a nice February day to assist in some tree trimming so it was operational but there was some body damage that had been bothering me. 

The left rear corner had some bondo that I knew was hiding rust.  As time went on the bondo split further open and was starting to drive me crazy. As motivation I bought a patch panel and waited for the weather to warm up.  Of course first up was a transmission rebuild in the Mustang which finally went back in the car last weekend.  Time to start cutting.

I was able to get all the rust out with my first planned section but discovered most of the corner was dented in with a quarter inch of filler from a previous hit.  This drove me to cut out a section almost the size of the patch panel and get most of the filler out.  I have the replacement metal trimmed and am on to final fitting, hoping to fire up the welder this evening.  

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
4/6/23 7:57 a.m.

After a bit more trimming, some tacking and then even more massaging of the main joint it is stuck to the truck. I had plenty of frustration keeping the panel flat across the butt joint but am happy with it now. Probably should have just went with an overlap but I didn't want a hidden joint to collect crap behind the wheel. 

Plan to get it all welded tonight. 

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
10/11/23 5:03 p.m.

Looks like I left off halfway through the spring’s bodywork session.  Wrapping up the story quick, new metal was welded in with one of the best fits I’ve had on a replacement panel.  Then several rounds of filler and sanding until I was happy with it. Some factory match red in rattle cans got the final paint close enough for now as the whole bedside is faded badly.  I reassembled the trim and bumpers and proceeded to drive the truck all summer. 

It hauled a dead BMW back from a few hundred miles away for a friend, a few tons of concrete for some house projects and the new driveway plow, a 96 Bronco.  Ironically the Bronco is our lowest mileage vehicle at 65k. 

The height of the truck has always bothered me but the unknown of how much of a lift it actually had and an overwhelming number of spring choices always kept me from doing anything about it.  I finally decided I wanted to bring it down to a 2” lift and ordered some nice and soft front lift springs.  They are the same uncompressed height as what came out but with a coil diameter that is about 30% smaller.  Combined with some adjustable Rancho shocks the change in ride is wonderful and I’m pretty happy with the height they gave.  Just now wrapping up the rear suspension by pulling the 2” lift blocks and putting in some fresh shocks.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
10/17/23 7:35 p.m.

Pulling the rear lift blocks out ended up being a challenge of getting the truck chassis high enough without getting too sketchy. Of course working in the driveway because I didn't feel like shuffling other cars around. 

I am happy with the heights now and actually don't know what the next planned project on the truck is for once.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rdcQgOeVu88IJxnHWY9TuY0KzzATKanFezWoELD71yP5WFN1mQBHalYNESFlZo65