5 6 7 8 9
ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
7/1/17 8:42 a.m.

Those wheels sure do look fantastic on there. Glad to hear you're getting some enjoyment out of it. The little ones will always remember it, too.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
7/2/17 1:04 p.m.

Upvote for burnouts. Always.

Project86fox
Project86fox New Reader
7/5/17 1:33 a.m.

Some 10 holes with raise white letters would of looked pretty sweet on that thing as well.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/7/17 4:23 p.m.

Posted how smooth summer was going so the next day the turn signal switch broke and a ujoint started rattling. Cheap ujoint had less then 4k miles on it but the grease channel to 3 out of 4 caps was plugged.

Replaced that under warranty and replaced the turn signal switch. Figured id update while seeing if photobucket ate my pictures yet.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/11/17 11:09 p.m.

While my photobucket is currently still working i wanted to try another source incase it quits.

Seeing if these work!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
7/13/17 1:19 p.m.

Still looking good! Really makes me want to make some progress on my Fairmont. I thought about just going ahead and licensing it and driving it a bit before doing the 5.0 swap (because that's going to be a huge while-I'm-at-it festival). Maybe I'll do that this fall after the hottest of the hot weather but before the salt starts to get spread.

It's really cool that you're able to be out enjoying yours on a daily basis (and not just that you're able to...that you're actually doing it!).

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/13/17 1:38 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Still looking good! Really makes me want to make some progress on my Fairmont. I thought about just going ahead and licensing it and driving it a bit before doing the 5.0 swap (because that's going to be a huge while-I'm-at-it festival). Maybe I'll do that this fall after the hottest of the hot weather but before the salt starts to get spread. It's really cool that you're able to be out enjoying yours on a daily basis (and not just that you're able to...that you're actually doing it!).

My wife is actually the reason for this, after my turbo mustang build went from a weekend swap to a year+ she keeps telling me to enjoy the car as is. I keep collecting parts and enjoying it as i go. The urge to pull it apart and start a 302 swap is hard to resist. I keep telling myself to wait for a complete donor car.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/5/17 8:04 p.m.

End of car season for me, nothing glamorous to report. 5300 miles on it, 2 cruise in's, one burnout contest DQ and the only work was a replacement u-joint and passenger front brake caliper. 

Note too self, change spindles for 79+ brakes regardless of k member this spring.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
10/5/17 8:17 p.m.

It should be easy to find some spindles.  I gave my stock '83 ones to a local circle track racer.  You'd be welcome to the stock ones off my '80 when I upgrade.  But who knows when that's going to be.  

And yeah...a complete engine donor car would definitely be the best way to do it.  I've used the '85 Convertible parts car I have like a 3D shop manual.  Plus, I'm going to use a bunch of parts for the Fairmont swap.  

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/5/17 9:13 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

It should be easy to find some spindles.  I gave my stock '83 ones to a local circle track racer.  You'd be welcome to the stock ones off my '80 when I upgrade.  But who knows when that's going to be.  

And yeah...a complete engine donor car would definitely be the best way to do it.  I've used the '85 Convertible parts car I have like a 3D shop manual.  Plus, I'm going to use a bunch of parts for the Fairmont swap.  

Thanks for the offer, i actually have a complete 85 k member and suspension for the v8 swap. Just didnt want to steal the spindles yet lol. Trying to find one year only brake parts just sucks.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
1/18/18 11:14 a.m.

More of a question post then an update. Ive been buying the parts to rebuild the front suspension and swap to the 85 style brakes. The last item on my order list right now is springs. Goal is a slight drop and a bit firmer. 

The issue is the spring sets are all designed for mustangs. The one i am leaning towards would effectivly double my front spring rate but match my stock rear rates because its a wagon. 249lb in stock, 250lb in for the aftermarket springs. Will this result in terrible ride/handling?

Disclaimer: all previous suspension mods in my life have been for faster straight line times.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/21/18 9:20 p.m.

I have the same questions myself.  I picked up some motorsport "C" springs the other day thinking that the fronts should work well on the wagon.  Not sure if/how the rears will work though.  I'll be interested to see what you end up with and how it works.  

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/25/18 2:19 p.m.

Got strangely motivated today and got everything apart so it can be cleaned and new bushings, balljoints and hardware. This upgrades the front brakes too something I can actually buy parts for.  Have some boxes of parts sitting inside but still need to make a final decision on springs. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
2/25/18 7:56 p.m.

Fun, Fun!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/15/18 3:48 p.m.

Moved the car after it sitting for 11 months. Apparently as punishment to myself the pinion seal started leaking. Since a broken foot killed my summer I have some extra money and I'm now excepting opinions on tubular control arms (fronts) on a street car. The internet has mixed reviews and my previous experience with them was on a gutted Capri drag car.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
9/15/18 6:53 p.m.

Zephyr update! cool.

My opinion is: Tires/wheels, springs, sway bars, and shocks...have the most profound effect on handling , probably in that order....so unless you can't get the bushings out of the old control arms, I'd stick with stock CA's on that wagon.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/27/19 2:17 a.m.

had the car out for the first time in over 18 months at the beginning of June. Took a new choke coil and some fresh gas but otherwise still runs fantastic. Mostly a self update since I re injured my surgically repaired back and want to remember I parked the car again early July. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/27/19 6:53 a.m.

Back problems, bad. But Zephyr wagon, very very good!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/27/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to dropstep :

I hope you recover quickly from the back injury.

And I agree with slowbird, wagon is awesome.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/27/20 7:58 p.m.

Well I went from shopping for 2012+ trucks to remembering I hate new things and this came up for sale at 1/5 of my budget. Not zephyr related aside from the fact I can tow a car trailer again. I call it the big ugly bastard

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/28/20 9:30 a.m.

That body style stand out because I was a kid when they first arrived and thought they were so ugggglllyyy.   Until I saw the new Bigfoot they built with that truck and I fell in love. 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
3/1/20 6:31 p.m.

If EVER a vehicle cried out for dodgy bondo work and a cheap white or grey respray it is this one. Great truck!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/2/20 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Agent98 :

It was a co op truck. It has 29k original miles so I've actually thought about ordering the rocker extensions and fixing the cab. It gets new tires Wednesday and the big block makes fun noises 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/8/20 12:19 a.m.

Got the new tires mounted and took them for a test drive. Truck suddenly has a vanishing brake fluid problem. Pedal was squishy when I purchased it but with all new parts installed 3 months  I bled them and was good for a few days. Will probably keep the truck updates in here with the zephyr 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/13/20 8:55 p.m.

I was a HUGE Ford Truck fan my whole life, favorites being the 73-79. Hated the square body when it came out, although I have finally warmed to it in tne last ten years. I like the dent side  club cabs, but admit the lines are not quite right. Even not liking the 80's trucks,  always thought the double slat window for the club cab had great looking lines!

The Big Ugly Bastard should be a keeper!

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdKVZnWi5lMl5sK75tJ9ddywTr54luAHxa3IGuqbPbVYAGPfeFe9GvrDibyqOCCz