RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
2/12/21 9:35 p.m.

Thought I had already posted this project but if I did I cannot find the thread.

Fed up with "Modern" cars, going back to my roots/youth ASAP.

So the 79 Spitfire that has been languishing is getting moved to active build status.

It's a car bought with insurance money many years ago to replace one crushed after some very old guy turned the steering wheel while backing out his giant diesel dually truck. He did not see the old Spit since it was lower than his side window. He actually put his front wheel up the side of the Spit and crushed the door/rear fender. Why he did not just back strait out of the parking spot before beginning his turn is a mystery.

This one actually drove all the way home but never registered oil pressure. Original plan was to put the engine from the crunched car into it but "Life" got in the way.

Now "Retired" and yearning for simplicity, so Spitfire is the order of the day!

Spits are a dream to work on since the entire front opens up or just comes off. Trans can be removed from inside the car. Parts are pretty light and cheap, mileage is excellent, and they have lots of character.

The smog-berg carb is long gone, the single Weber DCOE works great.

Not going crazy on this build. Body is not coming off the frame, just rebuilding the engine, fresh clutch, do the brakes and seats. Then paint it to match the old "What it was like going up in a Spitfire" ad campaign.

Pics once I begin. Fellow Spitfire owners encouraged to follow along and offer advice/parts.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/12/21 10:43 p.m.

I drove my spit for two years with no oil pressure at all. I ran gear oil and that would get me about five pounds at idle. But as a broke college student I did not have the funds to fix it. When I finally restored the car years later I found the pump was cracked in two, and the bearings were perfect.

Our Preferred Partners
I6ErHl50brVbOajUsVjL3CU0W0869au8cKFppZkJQcp7B7sHT7yPB3yjttdtG4iW